Need ideas on how to advertise a car for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I am moving cross country in a few weeks, and I am considering selling my 1 year old Saturn Aura since I don't think that driving or having it shipped 2200 miles is practical. I have had success selling cars on Auto Trader and Craigslist, but I am looking for some additional ideas on how to advertise this car for a quick sale.

I am looking to price it agressively, and of course being a BITOG car it is in beautiful, well maintained condition.

Most of the cars I have sold on my own have been sold with a sign in the window parked in a lot at a busy intersection on a weekend. You might also try a Saturn forum.

Last edited:
I got a ton of hits on craigslist. If you price aggressively, someone will buy it. But realize, since Saturn is not part of GM anymore, you may have some trouble though.

I hope you've got other reasons for selling it. I used to drive 1,400 miles each way (Oklahoma to New York) just for week-long visits. 2,200 miles once is a walk in the park.

Don't use all bold and uppercase text, that [censored] off a lot of people and you come of sounding like a screaming retard. You just need detail information such as year, mileage, condition, and some statement to mentally assure that this vehicle won't die a week after purchase.

2200 is a walk in a park. I am surprise you're on this forum and don't enjoy a nice car ride. Also, I am assuming you're talking your other possession with you and you'll need another vehicle when you're out in the midwest, which is about 2200 miles from you, I think you are better off renting a trailer and tow it there behind the Uhaul. If you have a moving company do your dirty work, then take the opportunity to see the country. I am assuming you have friends and possibly some relatives at your current location that you may want to revisit, why not get familiar with the route this time. People spend too much time stuck in traffic, racking up useless miles driving around town for nothing, but rarely anyone want to do road trip anymore. This country is becoming a lazy, me-first, no-work-all-play society.

A car this new is tougher to sell than the few thousand beater. You are talking about a used car that should get five figures.

Not too many folks with that kind of cash lying around.

If you have a loan on this car, then that's an additional hassle that many buyers won't want to deal with.

So unless you own this car outright and happen to find the right buyer, I suspect you'll be driving this car to your new home.

Driving 2200 miles is three or four days driving. Call it an adventure. If you like the car, keep it and drive it.

You'll spend that kind of time selling it and buying another, right?

If still financed or you can't find a buyer, you could always ask a Saturn dealer for a buy bid on your used car.

It doesn't hurt to ask a dealer if he will take your car.

FWIW, I'm heading to Dallas/Ft Worth to drive my mom's car from there to her new home in Denver, CO. Sure, not as far, but it's still a long days drive.

How is driving not practical? You are talking less than $1,000 for the trip with a plane ticket back. You will lose more than that by selling it. Find a college student to drive it out.

Last edited:
I prefer to sell because driving it myself is not practical due to time constraints. It would take 3-4 days to drive, and with prepping the house for sale and everything else that needs done I just don't have the time to spare tight now. I am hesitant to find a stranger to drive it out and the risk that is involved with that.

Does anyone remember the 80's movie "Moving" with Richard Pryor?

Craigslist has a line item for this exact situation, there is someone out there who will move this vehicle for you for zip. You'll just need to be comfortable with it?

While price attracts, looks ultimately sell. Most people are quickly ruled by their emotions once engaged in a vehicle.

Invest in a detailing (including underhood) and take your sales photos as soon as they're finished.

Every used vehicle we've ever sold has sold to the first person following this step.

A five figure resale may take a little longer, unless you fire sale it, for the reasons stated.

A 2200 mile trip is only a couple driving days (if in shifts). It will likely take a lot longer to sell the vehicle. If you like the vehicle, why not have it driven out?

I don't get - you don't have time to drive the car to your new home, and have it to use when you are out there, but you DO have time to clean the car up, advertise it, deal with buyers, negotiate the sale......

You'll lose a ton of money doing this. If you REALLY don't want to do it, spend the money you'd lose on the deal to pay someone you trust to drive it out. Heck, you probably WILL find someone on here that would do it, and most of us would NOT abuse someone's car...

I'd LOVE and excuse to drive across my county...it would be an awesome road trip!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
II am hesitant to find a stranger to drive it out and the risk that is involved with that.

Do you have any family or friends who don't mind helping you out?

If anything else, check with some of the local car dealers about tranporting it. Often times they can get you in contact with a trucking co. that ships the cars to/from the auctions.

An aunt of mine had a car shipped from IL to CA in an empty spot on a transporter for less than $1K a couple years ago IIRC.

You'll lose way more than that in value on the car just selling it. It's a great car but the resale is knocked down by numerous 1yr. old copies being sold at auction from fleet/rental operators.

Last edited:
This doesn't make any sense.

Aren't you going to need a car after moving to your destination? If so, wouldn't you waste more time, buying a new car and prepping the old one for sale, than it would to simply have it shipped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back