Need ideas for re-purposing giant pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doog
Bar stools (black leather tops) with legs made from the con rods. Then a glass top coffee table made from 3 of them and 2 glass top end tables. Get them glass beaded so they are clean and look new as well.

You can't use those connecting rods for bar stool legs. They are way too thick.

No one has really addressed my concern about weight. I know I could sell some cool bar stools made out of these connecting rods and pistons, but would anyone want a 300 pound bar stool? I'm not so sure.

That's why I'm thinking of going along the lines of a cool storage shelf for your man-cave garage and/or some really cool motorcycle work tables....where the pistons sit face down, and the connecting rods are used to attach the work surface to.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Dimensions?

Pistons are about the size of 5 gallon buckets. From the top of the piston to the bottom of the skirt.....it's about identical to a 5 gallon bucket.

If the piston top was on the ground, connecting rod would some up to the hip of a 6' man.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Forget the piston, I want the whole [censored] engine. I'd build a special shed for it, and charge people $2 to see it run. Fairbanks Morse?

You just want to run dirt through it
lol.gif

Lawn ornaments, table base(particularly outdoor). Unfortunately their heft limits their uses for practical reasons. Try and see if the local high school shop class wants one for "educational purposes".

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Forget the piston, I want the whole [censored] engine. I'd build a special shed for it, and charge people $2 to see it run. Fairbanks Morse?

You just want to run dirt through it
lol.gif

Lol nahhhh. That is way too cool of an engine to do that to. I'm surprised anyone actually remembers that too lol.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Some of the WWII submarine museums may be interested. I remember reading a while ago that some of them do run the engines occasionally for groups.

They could always use some parts (tax deduction)!

The Wisconsin Maritime Museum is looking for a fuel pump for example.

THIS!

Battleship Cove (Fall River, MA) might also be interested!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Some of the WWII submarine museums may be interested. I remember reading a while ago that some of them do run the engines occasionally for groups.

They could always use some parts (tax deduction)!

The Wisconsin Maritime Museum is looking for a fuel pump for example.

THIS!

Battleship Cove (Fall River, MA) might also be interested!

+1 I bet they would. Went there once with scouts back in like 4th grade.

If you do decide to scrap them, take all the boss is willing to give you, you'd get some good free $$ for them at a scrap yard. My thinking is some cool barstool seats.

Well, the whole idea is at a stand still now.

I put a piston, wrist pin, and connecting rod on a pallet and weighed it.

770 pounds after subtracting the weight of the pallet.

Who wants a 800 pound bar stool? Or a 2000 pound work bench or coffee table? I am a little disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back