Need help with CV Joint grease, very limited choices

Hello, I'm from Southeast Asia region and from where I'm from the choices for CV join grease are extremely limited. So far what I've found that only Mag1 Moly grease and Spaanjard MPG 1646 is available locally.

Other locally available is the ones that come from replacement boot kits and I don't want to buy random grease from replacement boots. Are any of these two choices viable for use as outer CV joint grease?

I'm repacking my original axles, suzuki alto k10b model.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Mag-1 is made by Warren here in the USA. Their oils are very good.

thanks for the quick response, my question is that since the product doesn't specifically mention its compatible with cv joints (but does have molybdenum disulphide and EP additives) is it a viable choice? Or should i look elsewhere?

Im only really familiar with old MB axles, which used a heavy oil (maybe a 00 grease?) in them.

Here in the USA, the parts stores sell CV joint grease:

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/constant-velocity-cv-joint-grease-4-wt-oz-SL3174.html

Product data sheet is here:

http://api.crcindustries.com/auto-services/get-pds/SL3174

Interesting thing there is it says ISO 110 viscosity. Thats like a "light" 90W gear oil (but likely different adds) with MoS2.

There are some mixed points in an old thread here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/864649/cv-joint-grease-anything-special

One should always be careful to understand what the specific manufacturer recommends or specifies for any application.

Having said that, for my BMW it can use Liqui Moly LM2003 which may be available in the Philippines somehow.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Im only really familiar with old MB axles, which used a heavy oil (maybe a 00 grease?) in them.

Here in the USA, the parts stores sell CV joint grease:

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/constant-velocity-cv-joint-grease-4-wt-oz-SL3174.html

Product data sheet is here:

http://api.crcindustries.com/auto-services/get-pds/SL3174

Interesting thing there is it says ISO 110 viscosity. Thats like a "light" 90W gear oil (but likely different adds) with MoS2.

There are some mixed points in an old thread here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/864649/cv-joint-grease-anything-special

Thanks, I've seen that thread before and one of the posts influenced me into picking grease with MoS2. I'm afraid CRC's cv joint grease is nowhere to be found locally
Originally Posted by kschachn
One should always be careful to understand what the specific manufacturer recommends or specifies for any application.

Having said that, for my BMW it can use Liqui Moly LM2003 which may be available in the Philippines somehow.

Oh believe me I try to adhere to oem as much as I can. I've had my axles repacked last year with a very expensive dealer job, $100 for a set of oem boots, clips and a NTG 2218-M grease. The passenger side outer CV joint clips failed months after and it threw grease all over the place. I'm only replacing this one.

Last edited:
Be careful - the Japanese OEMs like to use a tripod type inner CV joint and if that's the case a non-moly lithium or polyurea semi-fluid grease is used. You don't want moly for a roller or needle bearing but the Repezza type joints with ball bearings seem to do OK with stiffer moly greases.

Have you checked the prices of rebuilt Suzuki axles? Not some aftermarket junk but Suzuki rebuilt. Do they sell rebuilt axles?

Might be better and easier than doing all the repacking and rebooting
21.gif

Originally Posted by nthach
Be careful - the Japanese OEMs like to use a tripod type inner CV joint and if that's the case a non-moly lithium or polyurea semi-fluid grease is used. You don't want moly for a roller or needle bearing but the Repezza type joints with ball bearings seem to do OK with stiffer moly greases.

Don't worry, my inner CV joints are all repacked well and are sporting the oem factory grease (NTG 2218-M). Its the outer passenger CV joint i'm going to repack. Lithium moly grease is what a lot of forum posts have pointed me to and I'm only asking this to reconfirm.
Originally Posted by Gebo
Have you checked the prices of rebuilt Suzuki axles? Not some aftermarket junk but Suzuki rebuilt. Do they sell rebuilt axles?

Might be better and easier than doing all the repacking and rebooting
21.gif

Nonexistent, its either you buy junkyard/surplus or go replacement axles which are of questionable quality. This country is toyota land, where every brick and mortar store have toyota parts in them, but almost none of the other brands.

Originally Posted by leoblack9
Originally Posted by Chris142
Mag-1 is made by Warren here in the USA. Their oils are very good.

thanks for the quick response, my question is that since the product doesn't specifically mention its compatible with cv joints (but does have molybdenum disulphide and EP additives) is it a viable choice? Or should i look elsewhere?

You are correct, the greases you have found are not intended for use in CV joints. I would look further.

Originally Posted by nthach

I have also noticed on my Toyota they use a different grease for the inboard and outboard joint. But don't all CV's use needle bearings on the inner joint? I have never ever heard of a lubrication related failure on a CV joint provided that the boot is intact.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
You are correct, the greases you have found are not intended for use in CV joints. I would look further.
That's unfortunate. The only CV joint grease that's accessible in my area are those that are bought with replacement CV joints. I'm gonna have to look around more then.
Originally Posted by nobb
I have also noticed on my Toyota they use a different grease for the inboard and outboard joint. But don't all CV's use needle bearings on the inner joint? I have never ever heard of a lubrication related failure on a CV joint provided that the boot is intact.
My suzuki, like toyota's have Tripod inner CV joints and Rzeppa outer joints. Inner joints have those fine needle bearings and I've read all around the web that Moly grease should be avoided at all cost on this type of bearings due to moly causing the fine bearings to slip (flat spotting) But, just like you, I have never found a post that has this happen to anyone.. yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by leoblack9
My suzuki, like toyota's have Tripod inner CV joints and Rzeppa outer joints. Inner joints have those fine needle bearings and I've read all around the web that Moly grease should be avoided at all cost on this type of bearings due to moly causing the fine bearings to slip (flat spotting) But, just like you, I have never found a post that has this happen to anyone.. yet.

The rumor of moly not being good on bearings is somewhat of a myth IMO because you'll get alot of modern greases with the GC-LB rating which specifically means it is good for a bearing application. There is the belief that moly is good for shearing loads and not rolling. I've had to rebuild the CV joints on my 4Runner several times due to boots that never seem to last, but I've been using standard moly CV grease on the inner and outer joints with no issue even after 100,000 kms. The grease might seem a bit thick at first, but after a few thousand kms of shear forces, the grease becomes nice and liquid and fills every bit of the joint nicely.

Originally Posted by nobb

Inner joint failure with the boot still intact is common especially with tripods. I have one car that tears the tripod joints up pretty regular when provoked (I keep a stash of OE joints) using OE grease.
After talking with Molakule and Schaeffers I am using the 219 SynForce Green NLGI 1 in them and the results look very promising. Although it contains organic moly Schaeffers said there is no issue using it in needle bearings unlike MoS2. This is one heck of a good grease.

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/302-219-td.pdf

Originally Posted by Trav

Inner joint failure with the boot still intact is common especially with tripods. I have one car that tears the tripod joints up pretty regular when provoked (I keep a stash of OE joints) using OE grease.

I've inspected the inner and outer joints on every rebuild and there has been no signs of wear using just the cheap CV grease that comes with the rebuild kits. It could also be that this is a 4x4 so it's operated 99% of the time in RWD mode and 4x4 is used only on rare occasions, so the joints mostly see no load. So in my case, grease is not much of a concern. Trying to get these crappy neoprene boots to last more than 30,000 kms however is another story.

Update, due to the time constraint I've gone ahead and used the first choice (Mag1 moly grease) for my outer joint.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've checked for play and bearing wear. The joint is still firm and the bearings don't have any visible wear on them. It survived for a year with leaking CV boot. Packed it with a gob of moly grease. Hope it lasts.

Back