Need Help With Cub Cadet LTX 1045 Project

Cub Cadet Rider.JPG

Cleaned carburetor, tightened case bolts which were all not torqued enough from the factory, replaced valve cover and adjusted valve clearance. I have a problem when I try to engage the blades the motor shuts off. Would that be the seat safety switch? I zip tied the switch from the pto lever and it works (blades will engage and mower stays running), but want the safety switches to work like they should. Does anybody know if the seat switch is a common problem?

Last edited:
Oh, motor is a 20 HP Kohler Courage single cylinder and 46" deck if that makes any difference. I can't find a schematic for this model.

Seat safety switch should be fairly easy to bypass (for testing purposes). No idea how the circuit runs on that machine but on my last riding mower the safety switch was tied into the ignition switch, so if it isn't the safety switch itself it could possibly be a loose wire on the ignition switch/bad ignition.

And yeah, seat safety switch is pretty common. Some are microswitches that just break/wear out, others look for continuity between two metal parts of the seat. Neither is super reliable.

Last edited:
If I'm understanding what you describe, this machine has a mechanical PTO and not an E-clutch?

When you bypassed the switch associated with the PTO lever, will the engine die if no one is in the seat?

The only other switch I can think of is on the parking brake. It will allow the engine to stay running w/ no one in the seat, but won't stay running if the blades are engaged.

Good work on tightening those crankcase bolts. Those loosening is what typically does those Courage single cyls in once the crank can wobble around.

Back