need help with choosing tires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
H= up to 130 MPH rated
V= up to 149 MPH rated

Generally, a V will handle better than an H. You didn't say what vehicle you were going to put the tires on.

I have read, on this board, that the 512's aren't all that.

My mother has a set of the Triple Treads on her Camry and is pleased so far. Triple treads are not the same as the Aquatreads and are supposed to be far more advanced.

No experience w/ the Michelin.

I'm sure you have seen the reviews at the Tire Rack, but if not, go there and read away.

The 0+ size would actually be a 215-60-15 although you may get away with the 225-60-15. Discount Tire has a calculator to help with speedo corrections with 0+ sizing.

The 215-60-15: Speedo reads 65- you're at 64.16.
The 225-60-15: Speedo reads 65- you're at 65.36.

The diameters are very close. Just make sure the 0+ is appropriate for your rim size.

You need to identify the vehicle for a more accurate read on what works. And make sure the load rating fits your vehicle.

BTW, the Michelin Pilot Primacy is a summer-only tire. Consider instead the Pilot Exalto A/S, which I think is hands-down better than the four you picked. It's a $100+/each tire like the Primacy, however.

For under $50 each, I'd also look at the Bridgestone G009. That's a steal at that after rebate price.

BTW, don't count on those incredible treadwear numbers on any bona fide high performance or UHP tire.

Also, the faster the rating, in general, the better the handling and the worse the ride.
Sidewall stiffness seems to be the agreed culprit.

You'll have to check out some of the speed rating threads if you want to see some extensive discussion of that! To me, it only means that it can handle higher speeds.

The Goodyear looks like it would be useless on dirt or snow, and the Michelin has too low of a treadlife for my tastes, so I'd go with the Falkens, the Yokohamas, or the BF Goodrich Traction T/A HR (or VR, if you think it's worth the extra coin) from the same site. Did you already rule those out? The BFGs and the Yokohamas are AA traction, but the Falkens might only be A (their site doesn't say, and the discount tire site doesn't seem to know that AA exists). A works OK, but for a small price difference I'd prefer a AA tire. The BFGs have bigger lug-gaps and would likely have the best all-season performance.

Of those brands, I've used Goodyears, BFGs, and Michelins, and had no problems with any.

i am very curious if changing my tire dimensions from 205/55---plus or minus--give postive results for my ride quality while remaining at 16"....

Going wider may improve your high speed stability and lateral grip (when cornering hard), but it won't do anything for your ride quality. In addition, by increasing the rolling resistance it may negatively affect acceleration and gas mileage. However, depending on how powerful your engine is, the difference may be so small that you won't even notice it.

Previous poster has inquired about your vehicle. Are you keeping it a secret on purpose?

discounttiredirect.com seems to have the best prices + free shipping and i've narrowed it down to the following 4. does anyone know the difference between H & V rated tires? your input is greatly appreciated!

-

$59. Falken Ziex ZE-512 All-season performance. V-speed rated. Rated #1 by a leading consumer magazine. 205/65R-15 94V B. 60,000mi

-

$74. Yokohama AVID H4S Advanced high-performance, all-season tire. H-speed rated. P205/65R-15 92H BW. 60,000mi

-

$89. Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. Revolutionary Tire For ANY Weather Condition. H-speed rated. P205/65R-15 92H VSB. 80,000mi

-

$118. Michelin Pilot Primacy. Michelin's latest high performance tire delivers precision handling with no sacrifice in ride comfort. V-speed rated. 205/65R-15 94V B. 90,000mi

I'd go with the Yokohamas. I've had them on my car for about 10k miles (they replaced Falken Azenis since I needed an all season tire) and have no major complaints. They are quiet, have decent treadwear, great hydroplane resistance, and the handling is decent for an all season tire.

The Ziex is a hard tire that is so-so across the board and has a very soft sidewall. The Michelins are the replacement for the MXV4. Supposedly they're a more performance oriented tire than the MXV4, but the price is a deal breaker IMO (they might be a little better than the Yokohamas, but they're not $44 better). I don't have any firsthand experience with the goodyears, but the "auquatread" type goodyears I've seen in the past were nothing special.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably want a +0 (as tirerack calls it) and look for a 225/60-15 tire, depending on wheel width and tire availability.

on the topic of Consumer Reports, they've shown themselves to be biased and ignorant when it comes to cars a few times over the years. Their surveys also have some major flaws; they can be useful, but don't look at them as gospel.

You should not limit your tire selection choices to what one place carries. Look for the best tire that fits your need.

If you are willing to trade some non-winter performance for more snow capability, the ContiExtremContact would be the one to go with.

Otherwise, if I were looking at all-season tires in that size, my short list would be;
Kumho Ecsta ASX, $54 at onlinetires.com
Pilot Exalto A/S, $87
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position $88 at tirerack.com, also has $100 rebate on 4.

I'd probably go with the Kumho ASX, as it offers nearly the same performance as the Exalto, at a substantially lower price. I would expect the RE960AS to equal or beat both of those, but it is a brand new tire with little feedback so far.

As long as other all season tires are being suggested, what about Nokian WR? We have 7600 miles on them on my wife's minivan and we are very happy about the choice.

I consider the Nokian WR to be a winter tire that can be driven year round, but it is still, on the winter side of the All Season compromise. Very valid choice if dry handling is a low priority and snow/wet handling is a high priority.

Yup, my g/f has put on about 15K miles on the WR up until this point, and so far so good as well. However, where they shine is winter conditions - slush, snow, low temps, etc. Not sure how much of these conditions they get down in NC (where gr8gatzby is), but I'm guessing not much. During hot summer days, the WR is OK, but only if you drive very conservatively. If you try to corner a bit harder, they'll sqeal and lose grip rather quickly. They just get pretty soft at higher temps. Something like the Pilot Primacy would be better for summer.

Coming from someone from TX or FL I can see your point. It all comes down to if XC shuttles kids on a regular basis and what conditions they may encounter if they drive say, up the mountains.

comfort is goal #1. curvy mountain roads will be travelled extensively, even minor squeeling at acceptable speeds around the turns is unacceptable.

me thinks i've settled on the Yokohama AVID V4S 205/55. this is not set in stone, but they seem to be the best bang for the buck. any experiences with these tires....

Then the NUMB feeling of the falkens may be what you want. Baloon tires may the only other tires that give better ride comfort but they may squeel...

quote:

IMHO, Falkens have the look without the performance. Thats the point of those. Cheap for guys that the image of performance without actually getting it. I see lots of vehicles w/ huge rims and Falkens. FWIW I've never seen a track car on Falkens. [/QB]

I'm not sure where you've been looking, but the Falken Azenis is one of the stickiest and stiffest street tires on the market. The 512s are another story.

To the original poster: I would not put a 205/55 tire on a car where the original size is 205/65. You should try to keep the overal diameter reasonably close to the original size.

quote:

Originally posted by gr8gatzby:
i am very curious if changing my tire dimensions from 205/55---plus or minus--give postive results for my ride quality while remaining at 16"....

In order to maintain speedometer accuracy, it is best not to change the diameter of the tire more that +/- 3%. I haven't figured your 205-55 choice so I don't know about that one. Anything you do with a shorter sidewall will alter your ride experience. Some things for the good, others not. You are also limited in your tire size choices by your rim width. IMO, I would not alter the size and "make it fit" on a rim for which it wasn't designed.

For example: My OEM tires were 215-50-17 on a 7 in rim. I 0+ sized to a 225-45-17. They make a 235-40 and a 235-45 in a 17 diameter but both only fit a min 7.5 in rim. Do your homework before buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back