Need help with choice of oil for my new Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
229.51, 229.52, 229.61, and 229.71*
* Recommended for lowest possible fuel consumption (lowest SAE viscosity class in each case; observe possible restrictions of the approved SAE viscosity classes).

This is what is written in my manual. Forgot about the .52 recommendation. Seems a safe bet is 229.51 oils and call it a day. I am willing to listen to other recommendations, though.

I see the confusion now. I did not mean "diesel exclusively" of course, I meant here in the US it's mostly used in the diesels.
At least it was, I just pulled the latest 2020 GLC manual and it's a mess in some sense

* Recommendedfor lowest possiblefuel con‐sumption (lowest SAE viscosity class in eachcase; observe possiblerestrictionsof theapproved SAE viscosity classes).

* Recommended for lowest possible fuel consumption (lowest SAE viscosity class in each case; observe possible restrictions of the approved SAE viscosity classes).

This is what is written in my manual. Forgot about the .52 recommendation. Seems a safe bet is 229.51 oils and call it a day. I am willing to listen to other recommendations, though.
ANother really good MB 229.51 oil is Motul X-Clean+ 5W30. HTHS of 3.6, and has some Esters in according to that Russian web site.

It is not. It is current, and not diesel. These standards are called "oil for engines with aftertreatment equipment" meaning DPF/GPF.
MB 229.51 is gasoline capable standard since 2009 in Europe.
This is the same angst that I went through when I got my 2018 2.0 E300. Then I found out that it DID NOT have a filter after the CAT, which would have required a low SAPs oil. From that point forward, I've used 229.6 (Ravenol 5W-30 FDS) and will change at one year to 229.5 (Ravenol 5W-40 VST).
These oils are low enough in Sulphated Ash to suit my engine, and are excellent spec oils (Volsynthe +Tungsten).
Make sure your vehicle is not euro spec with particulate filter on the CAT, then go with the 229.5 spec.

ANother really good MB 229.51 oil is Motul X-Clean+ 5W30. HTHS of 3.6, and has some Esters in according to that Russian web site.
Okay so here’s my other question.
My 15 GLA specs 229.5, but the same 20 GLA allows for 229.51. Do you think I’m safe using 229.51 in that case? I’d love to use ESP in both cars

Thank you all for your answers. I wasn't planning on the 0w-20. I thought that Mercedes was being honest about the reasons for its use. Economy over protection. Please, I am not trying to start any thick/thin wars! I have seen many posts about 0w-20 cars lasting over 200k. I was more trying to decipher 229.51 v 229.61
The MB of today is a far far cry from the cars they built in the 60s & 70s, that was when they still built them to last.
Now they're pandering to the "I want to spend no money on maintenance" crowd and give OCI well beyond what's needed to maintain a healthy motor. On my 2008 E350 4Matic it recommended either 0W40 or 5W40 my car was much happier with the latter. As others have said, discount 0W20 and move on to 5W30 as a starting point, You don't list where you live so if you are in the south I'd also consider 5W40 especially since it's a turbo engine and as well I'd not go beyond 7K miles OCI on a turbo with Full synthetic oil.

I'd check out genuine MB 229.51 oil in a 20 Litre container or whatever the equivalent US size is. A Mercedes garage sells it on ebay here in the UK and I can get it for much less than any other quality branded oil that meets the MB specs.

Lol it is the imperial system in the US and metric elsewhere

Well that is what I thought (although the UK uses some Imperial too)

But check this out:

OAjYQYD.jpg

zL1ZOVq.jpg

So, I don't know :unsure:

There's only a couple 229.61 oils and it looks like 229.71 is all 0w-20 oils. I think if you're using 229.5 you can also do 229.51 but not vice versa.

The 229.52 spec came out after 229.51 so I'd use that one if you want to avoid 229.71. Some people on here are getting sloppy about quoting the right type of oil. For instance if you want 229.71, it's only Mobil 1 ESP x2 0w20. Mobil has a bunch of other 0w20 oils that would not have the 229.71 spec. You'd have to check the back of the bottle to make sure you have the correct one. Check the relevant sheets below to see which ones have the spec you need.

Okay so here’s my other question.
My 15 GLA specs 229.5, but the same 20 GLA allows for 229.51. Do you think I’m safe using 229.51 in that case? I’d love to use ESP in both cars
Yes. I am going to put Mobil1 ESP 0W30 next week in Tiguan. Probably will do UOA after 5k, but it will take some time as my wife does not drive a lot.

The MB of today is a far far cry from the cars they built in the 60s & 70s, that was when they still built them to last.
Now they're pandering to the "I want to spend no money on maintenance" crowd and give OCI well beyond what's needed to maintain a healthy motor. On my 2008 E350 4Matic it recommended either 0W40 or 5W40 my car was much happier with the latter. As others have said, discount 0W20 and move on to 5W30 as a starting point, You don't list where you live so if you are in the south I'd also consider 5W40 especially since it's a turbo engine and as well I'd not go beyond 7K miles OCI on a turbo with Full synthetic oil.
I don't know what that means and I have the same car. I use Castrol 0w40 all the time and sometimes Mobil 1 0w40. I had some Pennzoil 5w40 at one point. Never noticed any difference in any of them.

Anyway what Mercedes thread is complete without some ranting about how bad the new Mercedes models are, especially the GLA/CLA.

I don't know what that means and I have the same car. I use Castrol 0w40 all the time and sometimes Mobil 1 0w40. I had some Pennzoil 5w40 at one point. Never noticed any difference in any of them.

Anyway what Mercedes thread is complete without some ranting about how bad the new Mercedes models are, especially the GLA/CLA.

Regardless of hurt feelings, I will say: no it is not real MB. Same like X1, X2 etc. are not real BMW's. When I see transverse engine in MB, BMW, I am done with it.

But but but... my BMW and MB both have inline/longitudinal engines. Are you saying they're not real Deutschen autos??

And btw, NO URINE for my exhausts!

But check this out:

OAjYQYD.jpg

zL1ZOVq.jpg

So, I don't know :unsure:
imperial liquid (volume) measurements are different from the american, everything else is the same

When a british person says they get 30mpg, that’s 25 mpg here. Multiply the imperial volume measurement by .833 and you’ll have a rough estimate of the american one

Last edited:
imperial liquid (volume) measurements are different from the american, everything else is

When a british person says they get 30mpg, that’s 25 mpg here. Multiply the imperial volume measurement by .833 and you’ll have a rough estimate of the american one
Same here in Canada Imp Gal vs US Gal there is 1/2 litre difference (imp 4.5 US 4 litres)

We do have something of a mix of units.

We buy oil and fuel in litres but reckon consumption in MPG. Why - because distances and speed limits are still in miles.

Don't you guys in the US ever go metric or you'll end up trying to figure consumption in L/100 Km which makes no sense to me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back