Need help with Auto Stop Start

Just purchased a new 2021 Silverado with the 2.7 turbo. Truck now has 500 miles on it and when coming to a stop like at a red light the truck shuts down normally but when I lift my foot off the brake the truck restarts but also jerks violently forward without touching the gas pedal . I’m not a fan or this stop start feature. This just started to happen yesterday. If I turn the auto stop start off the truck performs flawlessly with very smooth acceleration from a stop. It going back to the dealer next Monday but I'm concerned what it could possibly be. Any information on what could be causing this would really be appreciated. Thanks.

you are starting the engine in drive.. so i'd expect some forward momentum.

it Doesnt shift to neutral.. during stops and starts.

I would probably just disable the stop start system. not worth it esp on a turbo motor IMO.

That’s what I was thinking. It just seemed to learn this really jerky behavior within the last few miles. Been keeping auto stop start off but every now and then I forget to turn it off on startup and am greeted by the engine shutdown and lurch forward on restart.

So I almost always drive a manual and just barely keep my foot on the brake pedal, if at all, when I am stopped at a light. First time I drove a car with auto stop-start I almost rear ended the car in front of me when it started on its own.

Just purchased a new 2021 Silverado with the 2.7 turbo. Truck now has 500 miles on it and when coming to a stop like at a red light the truck shuts down normally but when I lift my foot off the brake the truck restarts but also jerks violently forward without touching the gas pedal . I’m not a fan or this stop start feature. This just started to happen yesterday. If I turn the auto stop start off the truck performs flawlessly with very smooth acceleration from a stop. It going back to the dealer next Monday but I'm concerned what it could possibly be. Any information on what could be causing this would really be appreciated. Thanks.

My Start/Stop Fusion doesn't jerk forward per his description. Something is wrong with the truck.

OP, test drive another vehicle that matches yours.

Pull the trucks + battery terminal for 10 minutes, see if that clears the adaptives.

OP- Take it back get it fixed. Then see if you can get the device that @dishdude linked, to automatically disable it without any interaction from you, and eliminate that annoying feature once and for-all.
27.gif

Nope...I've driven many start/stops from several manufactures and while I'm not a fan there has never been any "forward momentum" on startup.

I really appreciate the replies. The plan is it goes to dealer on Monday. Truck runs great with it off. After dealer repair I’m going to get the auto start delete. Never been a fan of this technology and also I never seen one that lurches forward like this.

My F-150 and my wife’s VW doesn’t jerk forward on restart. We try remember to turn the blasted thing off after cranking. There could be something wrong with your truck. Most of the newer vehicles have a hill assist feature. This feature holds a vehicle without having your foot on the brake. Do you keep your foot on the brake at a stoplight or stop signs? The hill assist and stop/start are supposed to work together. This may not be happening with your truck. Take it back to the dealership and have them look at it.

Is the forward lurch due to excessive engine RPM on restart?

That engine is supposed to be quite an engineering marvel, with superb valve train control. How do you like it in a truck application?

Truck is impressive. Pulls like a diesel and keeps rpms below 2000 rpm almost always. When I get the thump or lurch it’s only at approximately 500 rpm idle at startup. Transmission is extremely tight and smooth.

I would have the dealer fix the problem and then disable it anyway. On my new car it was as simple as pulling a connector from a module in the trunk and can be enabled again should I ever sell the car.

The cynic in me says that as time goes by, we are going to see problems occurring that are caused by the start/stop systems that will be expensive to fix. The introduction of those systems was in pursuit of an extra half a mile per gallon or so mileage average to meet the CAFE standards and like a lot of government mandated regulations, there are sure to be unintended consequences.

I would have the dealer fix the problem and then disable it anyway. On my new car it was as simple as pulling a connector from a module in the trunk and can be enabled again should I ever sell the car.

The cynic in me says that as time goes by, we are going to see problems occurring that are caused by the start/stop systems that will be expensive to fix. The introduction of those systems was in pursuit of an extra half a mile per gallon or so mileage average to meet the CAFE standards and like a lot of government mandated regulations, there are sure to be unintended consequences.
I am sure the auto stop, start is not about the low cost of ownership over the long term. I would agree.

There should be zero forward momentum with a Start-Stop system. Definitely an issue that should be fixed under warranty.

Back