Need help with a MB 6 speed gearbox oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I have a 2001 MB SLK320 with a 6 speed manual and would like to change the transmission and also the rear diff. I'm having problems finding a suitable oil for the transmission. I found a spec sheet from MB saying it could be MobilubeFE 75W85, there spec is 235.7. It says it needs to be a GL4 oil and most I see available are GL5. All help is appreciated.
Randy

Subaru has a nice GL4 MT lubricant - not for use in the diff though. Other guys have had good luck with certain Amsoil and some redline stuff. I would not use a dual rated gl5 as it for bus/truck MT w/o low gear syncro or differing syncro blocker metallurgy.

I was hoping I could find the Mobilube FE. I emailed Mobil 1 a couple of days ago about where I could purchase it and haven't heard back.

http://www.mobil.com/Germany-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobilube_FE_75W-85.aspx

Mobilube FE is for axles(diffs) only, I doubt it would work well for your gearbox. What is the Mercedes spec for the transmission?
In the absence of Mobilube FE in the US, I would recommend the Redline products. They are high quality and available in small quantities. In 75W85 they make both GL4 and GL5 products. Use the GL4 in the transmission and the GL5 in the differential.
However, make SURE the rear diff calls for 75W85 and NOT 75W90.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: randytrish
I have a 2001 MB SLK320 with a 6 speed manual

You had me at 6-speed manual. I salute you!
thumbsup2.gif

You're on the right track insisting on GL4. Is anything stopping you from picking from the usual hit-list of GL4 transmission fluids? Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS, Amsoil MTG, Red Line MT-90, etc.?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
randytrish said:
Is anything stopping you from picking from the usual hit-list of GL4 transmission fluids? Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS, Amsoil MTG, Red Line MT-90, etc.?

It looks like the MB spec 235.10 is the limiting factor here. I checked the Amsoil lookup guide and they have no recommended products for that particular manual transmission.

Since you're not talking about a lot of fluid for a manual tranny you might want to check with a Mercedes dealership and see what they have that works with their specs for your tranny.

Whimsey

The MT calls for 75w80 GL4 around 7.5cst. Amsoil/Redline MTLF are 9-11cst...too thick.

Ravenol MTF2, Pentosin BMW MTF-LT2, Honda MTF, RoyalPurple Synchromax, BG 792 Syncro Shift, LubroMoly 75w80, Wynn's MTF.. are some choices. Total, Fuchs, Comma, Millers, Xado, Penrite might also have options.

The rear diff takes a fuel economy 75w85 GL5. Redline, Driven, Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda... have similar. I would just use any full synth 75w90 GL5 since MPG difference is nil.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
The MT calls for 75w80 GL4 around 7.5cst. Amsoil/Redline MTLF are 9-11cst...too thick.

Ravenol MTF2, Pentosin BMW MTF-LT2, Honda MTF, RoyalPurple Synchromax, BG 792 Syncro Shift, LubroMoly 75w80, Wynn's MTF.. are some choices. Total, Fuchs, Comma, Millers, Xado, Penrite might also have options.

But the OP said:

Quote:
I found a spec sheet from MB saying it could be MobilubeFE 75W85

An MTL 75W85 GL-4 Oil is 12.0 cSt.

An MTL 75W80 GL-4 Oil is 10.5 cSt.

Last edited:
Hello all,
I have a 2001 MB SLK320 with a 6 speed manual and would like to change the transmission and also the rear diff. I'm having problems finding a suitable oil for the transmission. I found a spec sheet from MB saying it could be MobilubeFE 75W85, there spec is 235.7. It says it needs to be a GL4 oil and most I see available are GL5. All help is appreciated.
Randy

I think that in addition to the MB part numbered fluid both Mobil and Fuchs have a product that meets this specification.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I did not think that MB was even allowed to bring a manual gearbox car into this country!!
21.gif

Yeah. Shame, too. It's been a few years and I'm still blown away by the 2010 C300 Sport 6MT I got to drive a few years ago. Not my thing, but truly excellent for what it is.

Hello all,
Randy

I just replaced the fluid in my MB 6-speed gear box in my C300 (716 transmission). The fluid type that the original MB sheet calls for turns out to be very hard to find, only semi-synthetic, and has a cSt at 100C of about 7ish. The most suitable replacement I've found that works well in both hot and cold climates is the Pentosin MTF2 gearbox oil (aka BMW MTF-LT-2 fluid).

You can buy this fluid wherever you can find Pentosin products, or from any BMW dealer (at a much higher price mind you!).

Since you are a 2001, please note that there is a TSB reducing the amount of fluid by 0.3 L, and measuring it exactly (do not fill to the top of the fill hole in other words).

If your fluid level in the manual states 1.8 L, fill to 1.5 L (mine is updated already, and simply says 1.5L). I filled using a hose and funnel from above so that I could pour exactly 1.5L into the transmission.

Works perfectly! Good luck.

Redline MTL is a bit thinner than the MT-85. Used both in my Hyundai 6sp (clone of the BMW 6 sp).

Originally Posted By: il_signore97

I just replaced the fluid in my MB 6-speed gear box in my C300 (716 transmission). The fluid type that the original MB sheet calls for turns out to be very hard to find, only semi-synthetic, and has a cSt at 100C of about 7ish. The most suitable replacement I've found that works well in both hot and cold climates is the Pentosin MTF2 gearbox oil (aka BMW MTF-LT-2 fluid).

You can buy this fluid wherever you can find Pentosin products, or from any BMW dealer (at a much higher price mind you!).

Since you are a 2001, please note that there is a TSB reducing the amount of fluid by 0.3 L, and measuring it exactly (do not fill to the top of the fill hole in other words).

If your fluid level in the manual states 1.8 L, fill to 1.5 L (mine is updated already, and simply says 1.5L). I filled using a hose and funnel from above so that I could pour exactly 1.5L into the transmission.

Works perfectly! Good luck.

This says it all.

Pentosin is the go to for a lot of European cars.
Also critically important for the transmission unit to
ONLY use GL-4 spec, and the MTF-2 is GL-4 spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back