Need help removing rear brake drums on Chevy truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to replace the rear brakes on my '92 Chevy pickup, but I can't get the brake drums off. They turn freely, but they don't budge when I try to pry them off. I've removed the rubber oblong slot-inserts on the back plate, but there doesn't seem to be anything in there to adjust the shoes with. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

I'm not sure whether the rear brake drums on your truck has them or not, but on many vahicles, the discs AND drums have
drilled and tapped holes in the drum that received properly
threaded bolts which are screwed in and turned by a ratchet
wrench to remove the drum. The holes are located on the face of the drum ( facing you ) and sometimes covered with a plug insert which has to be removed to get to the threaded hole.
If they are on the drums, you will have to figure out the bolt
size to use.

Good thing you didn't find the adjuster (it does have one) on your truck with self adjusting brakes, you can only tighten the adjuster not loosen it without getting 2 tools in there, one to adjust and another to push the arm off the adjuster wheel.

The drum turns so its not bound by the shoes but it is probably rusted to the axle hub. Hit it with a BF hammer all around and around the axle hub area (careful not to bash the studs). Once it moves use a couple of big screwdrivers or pry bars to wiggle it off.
Ideally an air hammer, torch and puller are the preferred tools but if you don't have them this way will work.

CM, unfortunately these don't have threaded holes.

Looks like I'll try Trav's hammer method. In fact, the drum does seem to be binding around the hub area.

Thanks!

Soak the hub area with penetrating oil, and start whacking at it. It should pop off eventually.

Do be careful, as it's possible to wreck a wheel bearing while doing so.

Realize I'm too late here, but for reference...

Usually this happens when a lip forms from wear at the outer edge of the drum. There's a piece you can push with a screwdriver that slightly retracts the shoes and typically allows enough clearance.

But I have also had the drum stick to the axle pretty tight. Penetrant and a big lever eventually popped it off.

If you get the lip that catches on the shoes the drum will pop off about a quarter inch then sit there frustratingly loose. The brake shoes will bounce around on their springs. If all else fails you can find the "nail heads" on the backing plate that hold the shoe-holding springs and cut them off.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Realize I'm too late here, but for reference...

Usually this happens when a lip forms from wear at the outer edge of the drum. There's a piece you can push with a screwdriver that slightly retracts the shoes and typically allows enough clearance.

But I have also had the drum stick to the axle pretty tight. Penetrant and a big lever eventually popped it off.

Actually, that's another problem all together. I've had them stick on the axle flange and once I've popped them loose, they caught on the shoes. Always a bugger when you can't adjust them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back