Need help picking oil - Hyundai Veloster N for track and daily driving with oil cooler

Hi guys, I read all the previous Veloster N threads I could find on the forum and wasn't able to find a complete solution.

INFO:
I am in hot Southern California
2021 Hyundai Veloster N with a Turbo GDI motor 2.0L.
The manual says I can use these:
0w-30
10w-30
15w-40
20w-50
Needs to be API SN Plus or SP and/or ILSAC GF-6 ( Required for LSPI protection)
Needs to be certified by American Petroleum Institute

The previous model year's manual also stated that 5w-30 and 5w-40 are allowed. But in my 2021 book those are not listed anymore.
I plan on going to the track and doing HPDE events and also being my daily commuter. I have a thermostatic oil cooler which I will install, it opens up at 185F.

People who track this car have been using 5w-40 without an oil cooler and reaching 260F or higher at the track.
I expect the oil cooler to give a -20F benefit and the oil to be around 200F to 240F.

I use to have a 2014 Veloster Turbo Turbo GDI 1.6L that suffered from LSPI and I can't have that happen again. I was running Motul 5w40 8100 Xcess during the LSPI event.

I haven't decided on OCI, if the oil quality is good enough I would like to do multiple track events with it or I can change the oil after every event if I have to. My daily driving is very low mileage, almost 5,000 a year at most.

Open questions:

Since I have an oil cooler I don't need a 40 weight oil right?
I found Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w-30 has API SP and GF-6 ratings with the certification. Fits the manual requirements perfectly. Walmart is having a BF sale so $21 for 5 quarts so I ordered 20 quarts.
Is that a good pick? ( I can return it )
What oils would you guys recommend?

Pennzoil Euro 0w40 is SP. Pretty much all other similar euro oils that I would actually trust on track are still SN. I would not use regular 30 grade PP on track unless you want to back off once it hits about 225-230. I would trust euro 30 or 40 grade up to 260+.

Pennzoil Euro 0w40 is SP. Pretty much all other similar euro oils that I would actually trust on track are still SN. I would not use regular 30 grade PP on track unless you want to back off once it hits about 225-230. I would trust euro 30 or 40 grade up to 260+.
Hi Jimmy I dont expect 260+. With the oil cooler I'm expecting max 240

M1 10W30 High Milage, it’s both API SP and ACEA A3/B3 (HTHS above 3.5cP)
Ok I looked into it more. It has a higher viscosity at 100C and the higher HTHS means it can last longer with less shearing. I hope I understood this right. This looks better than Pennzoil for my use case.

You would pick that over the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w-30?
Yes I would pick the M1 10W30 HM (SP & A3/B3) over PUP 10W30 (SP & GF-6).

A GF-6 oil is resource conserving (RC) so HTHS is typically about 3.1 cP in a 30 grade oil. While a Euro A3 oil has a minimum HTHS of 3.5 cP and could not qualify as a RC oil as it’s too thick. Too much viscous drag, but more protection in performance applications.

M1 10W30 HM offers LSPI protection due to being API SP rated, shear resistance due to being a 10W30 synthetic, and wear protection due to being Euro A3 rated. It also meets all the requirements of your owners manual.

Hi Jimmy I dont expect 260+. With the oil cooler I'm expecting max 240

The M1 High Mileage is probably a good choice too.

On track personally I would want HTHS 3.5 or higher which is why I mentioned Euro 30 grades at minimum. The 10w30 Pennzoil would be a good choice for the street.

If you can get away from SN+ or SP and use SN instead, there are a lot more choices available.

Your bulk oil temp will go down but what kind of temps will the oil be seeing in a pushed race environment inside the engine.

I would still go 40wt even with oil cooler.

Run a 40wt of choice . see what the temps and pressures are when tracked an oil change cost is minimal.

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it
Your bulk oil temp will go down but what kind of temps will the oil be seeing in a pushed race environment inside the engine.

I would still go 40wt even with oil cooler.
Run a 40wt of choice . see what the temps and pressures are when tracked an oil change cost is minimal.
Good points, no harm in running a 40 weight on my first track day.

The M1 High Mileage is probably a good choice too.

On track personally I would want HTHS 3.5 or higher which is why I mentioned Euro 30 grades at minimum. The 10w30 Pennzoil would be a good choice for the street.

If you can get away from SN+ or SP and use SN instead, there are a lot more choices available.
Ya I wish I could use SN but I don't want to do that. I am thinking Pennzoil Euro 0w40 or 5w40 with the SP & A3 rating.
5w40 is expensive and tough to find. 0w40 is available from Walmart.

I will keep searching for more 40 weights with SN Plus and SP ratings.

PENNZOIL PLATINUM EURO SAE 0W-40 and 5w40 are SP.

might be easier to walk to motor oil aisle at walmart to look whats available.

looks like walmart.com has them for $34/5qt

If I tracked my car, I’d use a very specific oil (racing). I’d change it before the track and then come back home, dump it and fill it up with new oil, but that’s just me.

Mobil 1 0w40 has been praised here (and rightly so) for on and off track perfomance. You have a oil cooler so the M1 40 should be fine on and off the track. I wonder if it’s SP rated though, should be now no? But if you want SP then go for PP EURO 5w40 no need for the 0w since you’re in Southern Cali.

Like I said, if it was me, I’d fill up with Redline or Motul 300V for the track and beat the oil. Then I’d come home drain the pan and fill up with PP Ultra, M1 EP or Redline again.

I found Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w-30 has API SP and GF-6 ratings with the certification. Fits the manual requirements perfectly. Walmart is having a BF sale so $21 for 5 quarts so I ordered 20 quarts.
If this meets all the specs i probably would be comfertable whith using the pennzoil.
In my hard driven bmw i have used shell penzoil now for 50k miles with good results.

A thinner oil flows faster through the system so spends a shorter period in the heatspots so it doesnt degrade as fast, due to the higher flow it also can cool the hot parts better.

Is the oil cooler an original oil cooler or was it aftermarket fitted?
Is it an oil to water heat exchanger or oil to air cooler?
Do you have an oil temp gauge etc...?

I am guessing its an oil to water heat exchanger, i personally think this is also the best one you can have.
Oil temps should not really be able to come above maximum 120 celcius.
Most of the time it should go on par with the engine temp which should be around 90 a 100 celcius. max.

The real hotspot is the turbo although with such a modern engine i also think its watercooled as well.
I have a thermostatic oil cooler which I will install, it opens up at 185F.
I now read this so i assume that you will aftermarket fit an air to oil cooler in the front bumper?

I am more familiar with hondas and know that the newest fk8 type r 320hp 2l turbo engine uses 0w20 and people run that on trackdays with no problems. The honda engine is also used in the american formule 3 cars and they also run the 0w20.

Mobil1 HM 10W-30 for the reasons mentioned by @SR5 . It has the 3.5 HTHS stout enough for the track and meets one of your manual's viscosity requirements.
Great car! Enjoy it. If possible, please share a few pics.

Back