Need help identifying a strange bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this in my room the other day. I first jumped a little because I have a major arachnaphobic problem.

It doesn't even look like a spider,, it looks like a miniture scorpion. This is magnified by my digital camera.. its very very small. Its about the size of one of the letters on this post.

-

Hey thanks guys.. it seemed like alot of people were puzzled too.

Thank goodness its not poisoness

All spiders are poisonous. They kill their prey with poison that they inject through their fangs. Few domestic spiders can harm you, though. However, some can cause nasty wounds that won't heal. I had to have three spider bites surgically removed: one from my leg, one from my gut and one from my arm. I've since stopped camping in Yosemite...

moribundman, I've been bit a good half dozen times and not needed medical intervention...manuka honey works pretty well.

Fortunately red-back and funnelwebs haven't been among those doing the biting.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
All spiders are poisonous. They kill their prey with poison that they inject through their fangs. Few domestic spiders can harm you, though. However, some can cause nasty wounds that won't heal. I had to have three spider bites surgically removed: one from my leg, one from my gut and one from my arm. I've since stopped camping in Yosemite...

Please don't tell me this.. I have Arachniphobia. I have a pretty deep voice and I scream like a girl when confronted a spider.

Fortunatly, they said these PseudoScorpians are harmless because their venom claws are too small to puncture Human skin.

I think chas3 has identified your bug. That thing gives me the hebiejebies. Imagine if that thing got into your jock area.
shocked.gif

I used to be Arachniphobic. But then I worked in an industrial setting where they spanned just about every pipe that was convenient. It only took about a year or two of seeing something wiggling out of the corner of my eye while I was taking readings ..jumping and hitting my head on something (hard hat area). I also learned to test areas where they would put a web that would span your normal walking path (which were plenty).

I really began to appreciate them when I would note how if we had a good spider season ..that we had a "no flying bug" season. On a less favorable spider season ..more annoying flying bugs. We had some of the most intense web sites. It was really interesting watching them build a new web from scratch. It was also amazing at what lengths they would go to have their web span two points. Some would drop themselves down 15 feet to the floor ..cross 15 feet of floor ..climb back up via a path that wasn't straight ..spinning a web behind them the entire time. All to reach a structure that was 2 or 3 feet away but couldn't be reached by any other means. Once they completed their bridge ..then they went to town building their web. Not even one coffee break before the job was done.

quote:

moribundman, I've been bit a good half dozen times and not needed medical intervention...manuka honey works pretty well.

Fortunately red-back and funnelwebs haven't been among those doing the biting.

Well, you are talking to a guy who fell in an anthill once and lived to tell. I have bad luck with spiders bites. The bites heal superficially but fester under the skin, producing a neat growth. Each of the bites that had to be cut out was from a Yosemite camping trip. I don't know what spiders live there, but the doc suspected a recluse spider. Here's the ca 11-year old scar I got on my arm. A kidbey bean sized piece of skin and flesh was excised. Three stitches:

-

mori's war injury

quote:

Originally posted by Korean_redneck:
Please don't tell me this.. I have Arachniphobia. I have a pretty deep voice and I scream like a girl when confronted a spider.

K.R.,

You would absolutely die if you went for a mountain bike ride with me in the summer, here in North Alabama. We have spiders by the ka-trillions. On an average 10-15 miles trail ride, I will run face-first through at least 100 spider webs. By the end of my rides, I will literally have to knock some of the spiders off. They get in the air vents in my helmet, too; usually 5-10 are stuck in there at the end of a ride. I get bitten at least once a year, & like moribundman says, the wounds are a real bugger. They usually take 2 months to completely heal.

Then there's the ticks, bees, wasps, rattlesnakes...............

quote:

Then there's the ticks, bees, wasps, rattlesnakes...............

..and the rest of the nasty stuff that seems to thrive in the southern part of the nation. I'm sorry ..but I don't play environmental lottery ..nor do I play "make the human the prey for the day" in accidental contact with all the things that crawl, swim, slither, etc. We have our ticks here ..I wish I could get cheap Guinea hens to stay alive here. Otherwise ..not too much in the poisonous/venomous variety. My aunt, may she rest in peace, commenting on the cat playing with the scorpions in her Tempe home
shocked.gif
Nope ..not me.

Then again, I never had much affection for the deer fly in Maine either. They, and other flying biting types, didn't last long in the extreme north ..but had their way with you til their season was over. Old Woodsman didn't seem to work all that well ..but it gave you something to focus on instead of the bites.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back