Need help finding the right oil for Mazda Skyactiv engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I have a 2016 Mazda 3 with 2.0-liter Skyactiv engine and I need some help finding the right oil as the owners manual didn't say much about it (or did I missed read anything
confused.gif
).

Anyway, I live in northern Canada and sometimes it could go as low as -40c, but I garage kept the car so I'm not worrying too much about cold start in the morning. My daily commute is 80% highway and I'm very easy on the throttle. Now I'm using 5w20 Castrol GTX or quaker state advanced durability with Fram extra guard (Yes I know about the cardboard end caps but we don't really have a lot choice here in Canada, plus it's cheap when on sale!). Today my local garage told me that the Skyactiv engines are very precise and need full syn oils, but the service advisor in dealer told me any oil would be fine just for a commuter. So in my case, who is right? I'm looking for the best wallet-friendly solution as it's just a daily commuter for me.

Thanks guys
smile.gif

aaa.png

Last edited:
I see -40C where I live as well. You have a garage but still see cold starts on the drive home (I assume). I would use Mobil 1 0W-20 in your application. It has some of the thinnest viscosity for cold starts.
I would argue that daily drivers need to be treated really well, because they need to get you where you are going ... well ... daily. Mission critical.

A sample comparing oils - lower is better for a thinner oil at "Viscosity @ -35C" test. 5th test from the top.
The QS is 45% "thicker" than the Mobil 1 at -35C.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated 0W-20.html

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

Using a full synthetic would be a good idea anyway even if it's not officially required.

What is your intended OCI?
smile.gif

If you're using Fram, you can use the taller 7317 if it fits and isn;t mounted vertically at the bottom of the engine.

With your cold weather, even if it's garage kept overnight, I would definitely switch over to a 0w20 synthetic, as I'm sure you still see some pretty cold weather when starting up the car at the end of the work day too. A conventional 5w20 really isn't up to the task of -40 degree weather. Since you mentioned wanting to keep the costs low, I would suggest grabbing any of the major 0w20 synthetics when they go on sale at Canadian Tire. Every week there is a different brand on sale and the typical price is around $30 or so for 5L. There will probably be an even better sale coming up for Black Friday in a couple of weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if they have 5L jugs of one of the brands of synthetic for around $25. (Boxing day is another time you might possibly find it priced that low)

Originally Posted by Patman
With your cold weather, even if it's garage kept overnight, I would definitely switch over to a 0w20 synthetic,...

DEFinitely synthetic and most certainly a 0w.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Using a full synthetic would be a good idea anyway even if it's not officially required.

What is your intended OCI?
smile.gif

If you're using Fram, you can use the taller 7317 if it fits and isn;t mounted vertically at the bottom of the engine.

My OCI is 6k - 7k km. Will the Fram 7317 make any difference in OCI?

Originally Posted by Patman
With your cold weather, even if it's garage kept overnight, I would definitely switch over to a 0w20 synthetic, as I'm sure you still see some pretty cold weather when starting up the car at the end of the work day too. A conventional 5w20 really isn't up to the task of -40 degree weather. Since you mentioned wanting to keep the costs low, I would suggest grabbing any of the major 0w20 synthetics when they go on sale at Canadian Tire. Every week there is a different brand on sale and the typical price is around $30 or so for 5L. There will probably be an even better sale coming up for Black Friday in a couple of weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if they have 5L jugs of one of the brands of synthetic for around $25. (Boxing day is another time you might possibly find it priced that low)

I just grab 4 bottles of Pennzoil in Walmart after rebate is $18.88, but 0w20 was not on sale. Last year boxing day Canadian Tire had some quaker state advanced durability for sale at only $10 for 5L jug and that's the best price I've ever seen, so I grab a few and use it in the car

Originally Posted by Danno
I would use Mobil 1 0W-20 in your application. It has some of the thinnest viscosity for cold starts.

From all the cold pour tests I have seen on YouTube, I would have to agree with this.

Originally Posted by PotatoFarmer77w

My OCI is 6k - 7k km. Will the Fram 7317 make any difference in OCI?

I wouldn't necessarily extend the OCI because of the taller filter, but it does provide more filtering media for the same price.

Your OCI is 6-7 kms, that's nothing. You're doing 80% highway also. I would definitely stretch that out to double with a quality 0w20 and just about any brand name oil filter. Wait for a sale at Cdn.Tire and stock up with a few jugs. OEM filter is good too.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
Any oil rates as 0W- is a synthetic.

My 2¢

Not true - there are multiple 0w20 "blends" on the market today. Honda's is the most common.

M1 since day 1 0w20 in my sky 2.0l 118k now runs like day one and never burns a drop. I would stick with a 0w20 of whatever your liking year round.

I run conventional 5/30 oil in my wifes Skyactive, 75,000 miles now and runs perfect.
But we live in a warm climate.

For you, at least in the winter months, I would run a 0/20 with temps as low a -40C all winter long, sure 5/20 would work too but eh, follow the manual in this case, brand doesnt matter.
Those are extreme temps, yikes.

Once above -5C any 5/20 or 5/30

Doesnt matter if oil is conventional or synthetic, though as you know, the 20s oil will be syn or a blend.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 3 which now has 55,300 miles on it. I've only used M1 EP 0w20 and AFE 0w20. Runs like new and doesn't use any oil between changes. I'm in NJ, which can see some fairly cold temps. In Canada, I'd definitely go with Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 or the OEM Mazda 0w20 oil.

The Skyactiv isn't that finicky when it comes to oil, so you're good with pretty much any brand/grade but in Canada, the Mobil 1 0w20 I think is the way to go.

*Also, if SA impacts intake valve deposits as some say, that is another reason to use Mobil 1 (SA is .8%).

Ashless dispersants do not contain metal. They do not normally contribute to sulfated ash when added to a lubricant.

Originally Posted by E150GT
I use 10w30 valvoline. I do have to add a quart at the 3k mark. That bums me out

I never add any between oil changes, the oil level always stay the same. You might have some problem there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back