Need help finding cheap spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2000 Mercedes E430 needs 16 spark plugs. The OEM plugs is Bosch FR8-DPP33, the lowest price I could find is from Rockauto for $4.45/ea + shipping.

Anybody knows a place I can find Bosch FR8-DPP33 for less ? Your inputs are appreciated.

TIA

Try germanautoparts.com They may not have it listed on the site but they can order anything for your German car with a quick e-mail to their sales department. They also have great customer service and I have dealt with them many times...

Just checked and they are more expensive there.
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Can't put NGK's instead? They are generally cheaper and IMO a better plug than Bosch. They will be designed to OEM spec.
wink.gif

ClubPlug dot net has them for $4.25 plus shipping....I have neber bought from them. I usually buy my plugs from SparkPlugs dot com.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Can't put NGK's instead? They are generally cheaper and IMO a better plug than Bosch. They will be designed to OEM spec.
wink.gif

NGK, Denso make great parts for Asian engines but not German engines, I would stick with Bosch plug which is OEM of E430.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
ClubPlug dot net has them for $4.25 plus shipping....I have never bought from them. I usually buy my plugs from SparkPlugs dot com.

I didn't check ClubPlug.net, I'll check then out. SparkPlugs.com price is higher than Rockauto.com. Rockauto is very good at customer services, I need to take into account the services too in buying these 16 plugs.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Check the Bosch website for a rebate that's running. $2 back for each Platinum Ir Fusion plug, or $1 back for each Platinum plug, http://www.boschautoparts.com/BoschShop/SpecialPromotions/SparkPlugPromo.htm

Thanks for pointing to the Bosch rebate. There is $1 rebate for each "Platinum Plus" plug with limit of 16. The rebate states that: Offer excludes original Bosch Platinum. According to Bosch site and some MB forums, Bosch FR8-DPP33 is the same as Bosch part# 7422. My question: Is Bosch# 7422 a Platinum Plus ? Therefore it is qualified for $1 rebate ? $16 for 16 plugs is not bad if the rebate applied to Bosch# 7422.

I have NGK's in my Cabriolet and it runs better than when I had Bosch in there. The Emission test shows better numbers too, so I beg to differ.

To each their own...
grin2.gif

NGK is my first choice when changing brands. But it still very much depends on the specific engine. Generally, the OEM plug tends to offer the best performance balance in most cases. While plug makers would have you believe differently, the engineers do build ignition systems around particular plugs. For example, nothing betters the OEM French-made Volvo plugs in some I-5 Volvo engines, even though it is a standard metallurgy design only costing a couple dollars.

VWs are using more NGKs as OEM, so that result doesn't necessarily come as a big surprise. But if the Merc came OEM with a Bosch FR8-DPP33, that would be my first pick unless there was reported proof that another plug performed better in that particular engine . . . especially when you're buying 16 of them.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
NGK is my first choice when changing brands. But it still very much depends on the specific engine. Generally, the OEM plug tends to offer the best performance balance in most cases. While plug makers would have you believe differently, the engineers do build ignition systems around particular plugs. For example, nothing betters the OEM French-made Volvo plugs in some I-5 Volvo engines, even though it is a standard metallurgy design only costing a couple dollars.

VWs are using more NGKs as OEM, so that result doesn't necessarily come as a big surprise. But if the Merc came OEM with a Bosch FR8-DPP33, that would be my first pick unless there was reported proof that another plug performed better in that particular engine . . . especially when you're buying 16 of them.

Makes sense.
thumbsup2.gif

Actually, FR8DPP33 is not the original plug that came with the car, it is the latest plug recommended by both Mercedes Benz and Bosch for 2000 E430 and some other engines.

The recommend change interval is 5yr/100k miles, when the original plug was changed in 2005 with 60k miles with NGK BKR5EGP, the OEM plugs looked as new. The NGK plugs is in the engine for only 4yr/40k miles and the engine started to miss-fire.

I know my Santa Fe isn't German, but I ran a set of NGK's for over 100K KM before changing them and they came out looking new without problems. I changed them because it was time according to the Manual and it's a PITA to get my rear 3 out so I figured if I'm in there I will just do 'em.

Oh boy..... here we go again the NGK internet stealth marketing crew is at it again.

Don't pay them any attention. It's best to use the OEM spec plug if at all possible.

Bosch plugs are excellent contrary to the nonsense you might see here posted by some of the NGK fanbois.

NGK is good plug for Honda, Toyota ... My 1994 Lexus L400 had NGK Double Platinum BKR6EP-11 for more than 80-90k miles and the engine started without any problem. My 2004 Honda came with NGK plug as OEM, when I need to change spark plug for it I'll use NGK for sure. The reason I had NGK plug in MB E430 4 years ago was NGK plug was good on my Lexus and I thought that may be it would be okay with MB.

I would like to go back to Bosch plug, because up until now MB recommends only Bosch plug and only part number FR8DPP33. Sometimes it is better to stay with OEM parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back