Need help changing a light-bulb and.. lock.. lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't change the lamp on this thing, it looks like this at all angles:
8mR9b.jpg

There is NO discernible mechanism to remove the glass covering to replace the lamp. I've tried spinning it. Any ideas?

I'm trying to replace the lock on the bottom but can't identify it, google is no help:
UJ9dD.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Try pulling the bottom section of the light cover straight down. It might be spring loaded. It looks like there are 2 different metal sections. Can you stick a screwdriver in between them?

You could also try ebay. Look for both the lock and the light. see if there is a picture from the backside of the light.

The glass dome should twist off. You may need someone else to hold the metal part so it doesn't move while you twist the glass dome. They don't always come off easily. I had one once that wouldn't come off, so I ended up just busting the glass and replacing the whole assembly.

I've tried pulling down on the glass dome (it comes down a little bit) and then twisting it clockwise, then counterclockwise without any success.

I suppose I oughta try harder? Maybe use a screwdriver to pry it?

Maybe try pushing up on the glass dome, looks like it could just be hanging by gravity on a groove, if that's the case maybe you can push it up and to a side to get access to the bulb or see how the fixture is attached to the ceiling.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
The glass dome should twist off. You may need someone else to hold the metal part so it doesn't move while you twist the glass dome. They don't always come off easily. I had one once that wouldn't come off, so I ended up just busting the glass and replacing the whole assembly.
It seems like that's how all those twist-in glass light fixtures meet their demise.

I have almost the EXACT same fixture all over my house. The glass dome twists counterclockwise to remove. This will sound silly, but lick your palms and rub your hands afterwards so you can get a really good grip on it, press firmly with each open hand at 180 degrees apart as far out as you can, push into it and twist. Once you have it off, you'll see the three grooves in the dome that correspond to the metal dimples in the frame. Put clear high temp silicone grease in those to make the next bulb change easier, and-DONE. DON'T try to pry it. Can't help ya with the locks though, sorry.

By the way, the lock and handle set is called a "rim lock." It will be very difficult to find a direct-fitting replacement.

You really have two choices with the lock-

Install a "wrap around" or modernization kit to get rid of that old mortise lock. It's a piece of metal what will cover the holes left from removing the old hardware, and allow you to install a cylindrical knob in it's place.

Alternatively, if the knob mortise lock is holding the door closed (which from the pictures doesn't appear to be the case) you can just have a new dead bolt installed on the door above that whole mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back