Need help after 1 yr idle motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sort of depends on how badly gummed up it is. I have had success running a cleaner straight into the system, full strength. Only run it for a few minutes and immediately run gas in it to displace all of the cleaner. I consider this to be a Mickey Mouse answer, but it sometimes works well enough. If that doesn't do what you need, then take the carbs apart.

Actually, sometimes you can clean it up with some carb spray. Not just down the throat, but some into the bowl vent so it will mix with the bowl. It also sometimes helps to block the airflow with the palm of your hand and immediately release so that the venturi pressure wave is disrupted to help pull junk the rest of the way through the jets.

I did this to get my lawn tractor going this spring. I stupidly left a 1/4 tank of un stabilized gas over winter in the tank. I coould get the engine to fire only by spraying carb cleaner into the carb. Instead of taking the carb off and cleaning it, I shot a 15 second blast of Gumout into the fuel tank and then kept spraying it into the carb to keep it running until the engine would run on its own. It was basicly a delaying action. I didnt mow for about 6 weeks, because there was no rain. This time I had to clean some crud out of the fuel bowl and blow out the main jet.

Finally got around to replacing an oil seal and getting my bike running again, but after a year, it has very bad hesitation on trottle, sort of misses while running, and backfires when decelerating. I 'may' have forgot to put stabilize in the gas so I'm guessing the carbs may be gummed up. I've added a fresh tank of high octane but have only run a few miles on the bike. Should I add a fuel system clearing and run it for awhile, or do I need to disassemble and clean manually?

Thanks for any advice, Mike

quote:

Finally got around to replacing an oil seal and getting my bike running again, but after a year, it has very bad hesitation on trottle, sort of misses while running, and backfires when decelerating. I 'may' have forgot to put stabilize in the gas so I'm guessing the carbs may be gummed up. I've added a fresh tank of high octane but have only run a few miles on the bike. Should I add a fuel system clearing and run it for awhile, or do I need to disassemble and clean manually?

You need to pull the carbs and clean manually, especially the pilot jets.

Hammer

Thanks for the tips. I've added some seafoam in the gas and I'll see if that helps any, but from these posts, looks like I'll need more concentrated amounts. I've never taken a carb apart before, but I just reviewed the manual for the bike and it looks pretty straight forward. I just need to actually fix it before spring this time
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back