Need gear lube help for 2001 Sentra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have an '01 Sentra SE manual tranny. It's my understanding it has an LSD, but what type of LSD I'm not sure. The manual calls for 75W90 GL4.

I've read so much and just about every lube I read about seems to have some downside or a user who claimed trouble with it. Hard to verify on the net, but it gives me pause.

I figure I would be safest to just go with the Nissan product, but I've only ever found it in 75W85, which I find odd.

I've heard the Nissan is made by Castrol and is their Syntorq or SMX-S, but both those seem to only come in 75W85. I think their 75W90 product is a GL5 product.

I was going to go with Redline MT-90, but I heard it was eating some plastic bearing parts in Mazda's, but I can't verify and not sure if the Nissan hase similar parts or not.

Why would the Nissan oil be so unavailable? Anyone know where I could get it?

Would the 75W85 be ok to use or not offer enough protection? Some people recommend an MTL and MT-90 mix, wouldn't that be close to 75W85 anyhow? I ask because someone told me to not use the Nissan 75W85 yet recommended a Redline mix, seems odd to me.

Your thoughts appreciated as I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Redline MT90 is an excellent choice. I've used it for years in multiple Nissans with no problems. And, if you want to thin it out a little, all you need is about 25% MTL.

Nissan also has a GL4 75w85 that they're using in place of 75w90. This is to improve shifting on some of the current notchy transmissions.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Redline MT90 is an excellent choice. I've used it for years in multiple Nissans with no problems. And, if you want to thin it out a little, all you need is about 25% MTL.

Nissan also has a GL4 75w85 that they're using in place of 75w90. This is to improve shifting on some of the current notchy transmissions.

Yeah, that's the Nissan oil I've found. I was just concerned because it's 75W85.

How many bottles will I need? My manual says 3 liters, but how much will be left in their? Also, someone told me I would need 3.1 to 3.2 liters for an SE so I don't know if I need to go ahead and get 4 quarts or 4 liters when I order or if I'll be ok with 3.

Any tips on how to change it on the Nissan? I've heard it can be pretty hard to get to the bolts and thought about just paying to have it done.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Why not use the correct viscosity, in a known good GL-4 fluid?

Amsoil MTG 75W-90 GL-4

I'll look into the Amsoil. I heard some people say they like their motor oil, but not the gear oil.

Does it have the additives for the LSD?

Are you really sure the SE needs limited slip additive? I could find no listing that the 2.0L SE needs anything more than GL-4. Does it say so on the unit, or in the manual? If you really need LS additive, you could add the Amsoil Slip Lock.

I also show 3.15 qts. Sort of a pain fill volume. I'd play it safe and get 4, but then you know how that goes - it won't take more than 3!

Talk with aquariuscsm and others about MTG in Nissans. Pretty awesome reviews.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Are you really sure the SE needs limited slip additive? I could find no listing that the 2.0L SE needs anything more than GL-4. Does it say so on the unit, or in the manual? If you really need LS additive, you could add the Amsoil Slip Lock.

I also show 3.15 qts. Sort of a pain fill volume. I'd play it safe and get 4, but then you know how that goes - it won't take more than 3!

Talk with aquariuscsm and others about MTG in Nissans. Pretty awesome reviews.

I don't know if I need the additives, I just know that my window sticker says I have a limited slip differential. I'm not very knowledgeable so I don't even know what that does exactly.

What source are you looking at for my cars features and oil amounts? It might be something handy for me to look at.

While googling I hear people talking about putting different oil in the differential and even ones for the rear. Do I have these extra oil needs? They are talking about other cars.

From what I've heard about my car I just have gear oil and clutch fluid.

If I decide to get Amsoil, where do you buy it? The only place I see that has it that doesn't link back to Amsoil themselves at full price is this place:

[edit out non sponsor link]

Any experience with them?

I did find a guy on a Nissan forum that sells it for cost. I guess he's a dealer and supports the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Is your Sentra RWD?

Front.

I'm thinking that's why I don't have a seperate LSD that needs to be changed?

So I would be wanting an oil with the LSD modifiers right? I don't think Amsoil has them?

Originally Posted By: aman74
If I decide to get Amsoil, where do you buy it? The only place I see that has it that doesn't link back to Amsoil themselves at full price is this place:

link removed

Any experience with them?

I did find a guy on a Nissan forum that sells it for cost. I guess he's a dealer and supports the forum.

You can buy it from a BITOG forum sponsor, contact me offline.

Originally Posted By: aman74
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Is your Sentra RWD?

Front.

I'm thinking that's why I don't have a seperate LSD that needs to be changed?

So I would be wanting an oil with the LSD modifiers right? I don't think Amsoil has them?

You don't need specific LSD modifiers.

I called Nissan and talked to tech support and they said to use 75W85. A couple dealers in the area said this as well.

Getting 3 differnt answers from Nissan doesn't inspire confidence though.

I had a 97 Sentra 5 speed and went with the Redline Mt-90, I think, in any case the Redline recommended as GL-4. It was several years ago, so forgive the uncertainty. I would think the Amsoil GL-4 synthetic would be great also.

I got frustrated trying to find the right fluid because of "experts" who told me GL-5 superseded GL-4 so I should use that. GL-5 is not compatible with some of the bearing or other brass parts in the Sentra transmission.

What do people recommend for a VW Jetta manual transmission? Mine is a 2005 TDI, my daughter's is a 2004 gas model. We want synthetic only for both. If I am hijacking this question I will post elsewhere.

Same oil as recommended here for the Nissan, Amsoil MTG 75W-90 GL-4. I looked it up on their website just now if you want to go there and verify for yourself.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Same oil as recommended here for the Nissan, Amsoil MTG 75W-90 GL-4. I looked it up on their website just now if you want to go there and verify for yourself.

Problem is they recommend 3 different weights. The website would be just another. I imagine it would be safer to go with 90 over 85 though. My manual says 75W90, the FSM says 80W90 or 75W85 depending on when the manual was printed apparently.

Is 85 much different then 90? That's really the key here. I'd like to go with 85 since I can get it in the Nissan brand, but I'm worried it's not heavy enough.

Where on their website did you find it? I thought their tech sections you had to be a dealer to access. Thanks!

The 75w85 spec supercedes the previous 90wt. Use whatever you want. For northern/cooler climates, I'd use the 85wt.

Nissan typically will have a sealed viscous LSD. So, it won't see your gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back