need fluid advice - where to find - for Massey Ferguson 65 tractor (1958)

I am working to revive a 1958 Massey Ferguson Tractor (it starts, but we haven't moved it yet), and I need to find SAE 20 oil for the distributor reservoir - as well as type A at automatic transmission fluid. I am having trouble finding these via a google search. Are there suggestions?

Hi NormanBuntz - can you tell me why you recommend Dexron III? Someone else recommended Dexron or Dexron I. I don't know what the difference is between these. Would appreciate whatever info you may have. thanks!

Well the situation is that there technically isn't any such thing as DEXRON-I, II or III, only DEXRON-VI since earlier licenses have expired and are not renewed by GM. The technically correct fluid in this application is DEXRON-VI since that is backwards compatible for earlier licenses.

Sometimes people recommend DEXRON-III fluids since the starting viscosity is higher than for a comparable DEXRON-VI fluid. However, DEXRON-III fluids were allowed to shear down (relatively quickly) to a lower value, and part of the DEXRON-VI specification is for greater shear stability. So in reality the end result is that a DEXRON-VI fluid will retain viscosity better than any DEXRON-III fluid would. DEXRON-VI fluid is superior in every aspect.

There are some exceptions but this would not be one of them.

Last edited:
These old Masseys were designed to run on lubes that had little to NONE additives....
Use any cheap trans fluid where the Type A is asking... or even an inexpensive hydraulic fluid is fine.
SAE 20 oil for the distributor reservoir??? SAE 30 will be just fine.

Just use any form of Dexron for the power steering.

I have a 65 and have no idea what you are talking about when you say distributor resevor. Do you mean air cleaner? That is the only thing speced for sae 20. If that is the case just use whatever motor oil you are putting in the engine.

Back