Need expert advice - Oculus setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my GF's son got an Oculus rift S VR headset for his birthday. Planning to use it on a 2 year old hardly used cyberpower series c desktop in his room. Needs an upgraded graphics card. Done. Now it needs USB 3.0 but it only has onboard 2.0. Ok ordered the 3.0 card.. Uh oh.. the card uses a small PCI express slot. Seems to be what most do when I search. But the huge graphics card next it covers that slot up on the backplane. Only room after that is a slot I'm not sure of. The slot at the bottom of these pics. PCI legacy slot?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is there a USB 3.0 card that would fit that slot? If yes, should I be concerned about blocking the graphics card fans?

Is there another way? Like some kind of external converter?

Sure looks like legacy PCI. Would something like this work:

2 port USB 3.0 PCI card

That USB card is so small I doubt it will effect the ability of the graphics card's cooling fans to do their job.

Last edited:
What video card did you get many of the cards powerful enough already include a usb c port.

although my 2060 is missing it (despite the founders edition model having it)

Can't quite see the model of MB you have.

May be easier and more trouble free if you upgrade the motherboard to one that has native USB 3.1 ports.
Make sure it is compatible with your CPU and Ram.
Get a full sized ATX motherboard, and make sure it fits your case. That one looks like is an mATX.

Upgrading is a never ending wormhole imo.

Expertise level - I build my own PCs, proly 10 in the last 20 years. This one is about 4 months old.

Originally Posted by Pew
Run a USB to SATA connector instead.

Will it be 3.0 speed through that? What do you recommend?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Originally Posted by Pew
Run a USB to SATA connector instead.

Will it be 3.0 speed through that? What do you recommend?

Yes, the speeds should still match since SATA6's limitations is higher than USB 3.0. I haven't used that setup for anything other than drives though so I honestly don't know how it's going to work out for an Oculus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back