Need an SUV, current model Year or CPO, no cvt.

Suggestions Please! No CVT, Two Rows will be enough, some storage capacity would be great. Toyotas seem overpriced in this category.

Hyundai/Kia offer SUVs with 8 speed autos that seem to be good values. Durangos are solid, the 3.6L/8 speed auto is a solid powertrain combo. I believe Chevy and GMC's smaller SUVs have autos, but I don't care for GM's 4 cylinder engine and their bigger SUVs are way overpriced. I'll add the disclaimer though that I don't own any of the vehicles mentioned above. I do have family that own the Durango and the GMC Acadia, but I'm not going to say that this anecdotal knowledge means much of anything. I think the biggest thing is that you just need to make a list and go and test drive them. Finding out which SUVs are being offered with traditional autos shouldn't be too hard with a quick Google search.

"Two rows" is a good start for the "Midsize" category. You'll need to narrow it down a little by giving a price range, or things that might be very important to you, like fuel efficiency. There are so many SUV's made, you'll get exactly what you want once you know exactly what you want.

We went to an auto show to help us, but that's not possible right now.

I don't think GM uses CVT's, so you might look there
21.gif

Toyotas cost more because they make the best cars
smile.gif

Terradyne Gurkha matches your requirements exactly. No CVT, still being produced to current model years in Ontario, 2 rows, storage in the back, and not overpriced.. in fact you get every dollar you paid for when someone tries to shoot at you.

[Linked Image from cdn.bringatrailer.com]

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
21.gif

smile.gif

By that logic, you should get a Mercedes GLS450. Those cost a lot more than a Toyota. You could go older with a GL450. See if they have the heated/cooled cup holder option. The GL550 or GLS550 tend to be more loaded but there aren't as many on the market but they both have two rows of seats. They start at around 35k and you can go up to 3 years CPO with unlimited miles plus the remainder of the factory warranty.

I'm the type that equates SUVs with 4Runners, Tahoes, Exploders, etc.

If you are including crossovers then Mazda fits the bill.

I vote for a CPO Tahoe,Suburban or Yukon. More luggage space with the Suburban. You might be able to find a good used PPV or SSV Tahoe that was driven by a supervisor or maybe from a agency that let their Leos take them home. Those are generally maintained very well.

Originally Posted by mcrn
Mazda CX-5

Recently made the move and read hundreds of reviews of med size suv's. The CK-5 always came out on top. Way out!

What did I buy? Audi Q3 (basically, VW Tiguan).

Why? Because it was a long awaited 46th Anniversary present for my wife and I let her make the call. We drove Lexus, BMW, Honda, Infinity, Acura. Quarter mile down the road in the Audi and she declared "this is it". And so it was.

The CX-5 is an excellent vehicle that meets those requirements and is built on a well tested platform.

If your not trying to be in a smaller size, the Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade i think is really durable and nice. You can get one from Hertz right now for 35-40k for 2019 model year.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Suggestions Please! No CVT, Two Rows will be enough, some storage capacity would be great. Toyotas seem overpriced in this category.

CX5 Grand Touring Reserve or Signature, or wait for the RAV4 Prime (will probably have CVT though, but it's a hybrid so that's different in a way, and those CVT's have not been an issue), or if you require more power, Audi SQ5, or if power and driving dynamics don't matter but more offroad is what you want, Forester.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
21.gif

smile.gif

By that logic, you should get a Mercedes GLS450. Those cost a lot more than a Toyota. You could go older with a GL450. See if they have the heated/cooled cup holder option. The GL550 or GLS550 tend to be more loaded but there aren't as many on the market but they both have two rows of seats. They start at around 35k and you can go up to 3 years CPO with unlimited miles plus the remainder of the factory warranty.

31.gif

Mercedes doesn't make good cars at all. A Land Cruiser or LX570 is much better than the GL-class

The OP was saying that Toyotas are overpriced, and I reminded him that they cost more for a reason and that they are worth the extra cost
smile.gif

Back