Need an advice on a warranty claim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by SlavaB
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Is the MB still under warranty ? Not sure what sort of warranty they provide. If they try to deny it under warranty, just ask the service writer why they feel they are immune to the Magnuson-Moss act.

It's under extended warranty till 2022/unlimited mileage. Thx for the advice!

#1 M&M only gives you the avenue of the courts to force a manufacturer to honor its warranty. Waiving M&M in front of a dealer doesn't do anything because they're just a go-between and when it's a big $$ repair awaiting authorization from the manufacturer to perform the warranty work. Sometimes having an attorney threaten to sue under M&M is successful, but again you must hire the attorney to draft the letter.

#2 Warranty companies don't want to pay to fix user error and sometimes they require whomever is doing the work to look for signs that work was previously performed. In this case it's a different bolt on the transmission pan. I've read that some manufacturers use unique parts (ex, factory install gasket has a unique color that cannot be bought outside the channel) for this purpose. The dealer/shop must be certain they'll get paid for warranty work so they must notify the warranty company of whats going on because in some cases the warranty company may want to inspect the failed part and/or obtain reimbursement from the OEM.

#3 Is this a Mercedes Benz extended warranty or a third party extended warranty sold by a Mercedes Benz dealership? Complaining to MBUSA over a third party warranty sold by a non-MB owned dealership is pointless. They could care less.

- So who worked on your transmission and used a different bolt?

1. Warranty - I bought this car as CPO, it has 4 years original warranty + 1 year CPO warranty + paid for 2 years of extended warranty, all thru MB USA. I dont trust any third party warranties really
2. An independent shop worked to perform a transmission service. these GLAs have some hard to access filters, so the dealer charges $800 + tax for the service. These folks charged me $475 with OEM parts. They're really respectable shop in the area and most of their technicians are MB certified. At least they claim it
smile.gif

Just got a call from the service advisor saying the car will be ready to pick up in an hour. No mentioning of that bolt anymore. Will update you guys after I'll pick it up.
After talking to my other MB shop, I was told they've got lots of calls from other customers having all kind of issues with this Autonation dealer. When Autonation overtook this specific MB dealer they started throwing s#it like this on people trying to charge more here and there, and threatening people to void the warranty if a car will be serviced somewhere else.
There's another dealer in the area (not affiliated with autonation) and moving forward I'll only visit that one for my car's needs.

The dealers who try shakedowns like this know a majority of customers will roll over when given the "Your warranty is void unless your car is serviced here." spiel- and they also know that using M/M to prevail will cost time and money. Many legal illiterates think M/M is some sort of magic talisman but it doesn't work that way.

Just got my car back.
All fixed, nothing denied, paid $0. Apparently my other shop did use OEM parts so the current dealer just replaced the bolt.
thx everyone for the support!

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Just got my car back.
All fixed, nothing denied, paid $0. Apparently my other shop did use OEM parts so the current dealer just replaced the bolt.
thx everyone for the support!

Excellent news !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back