Need all season (but good for snow) tire recommendations

2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum, tire size is 235/55/20.

Current tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde's, and they're getting pretty close to the wear bars and will need replaced before the upcoming brutal Idaho winter.

Due to my financial situation I cannot afford a second set of wheels to put snow tires on and swap every year so I need recommendations for tires that I can drive on year-round, but will also be able to get me out of my super steep driveway when it's below freezing.

For example, this winter with my Pirellis was so bad, that even after shoveling my driveway and putting down salt, my Pathfinder in 4WD could NOT get out of the driveway and onto the street and I had to call off work. My neighborhood is so steep and has so many switchbacks that a lot of people park at the bottom of the hill then walk up to their houses because their cars can't make it.

I suggest Michelin Cross-Climate2's if they are available in your size. Several threads:

I second the Cross Climate 2’s. They are becoming my favorite tire. I have them installed on a 2018 RAV4. They have been performing excellently in the rain, ice and snow. However they are noisier than the Defender LTX’s. I wish Michelin made them in a P rated 275/65R18 so I could pickup some for my Tundra.

In general I find they outperform a vast majority of AT tires in the winter hence why I love ‘em. In the past I went with AT tires to handle the deeper snow. But I never found any AT tire to perform as well in the ice and rain.

+1 on the Cross Climates. I have them on my VW AllTrack and love them. Just let "em on year round and they will basically take you anywhere. A really great tire.

It will take an hour or two of your time but go to tirerack.com and shop for tires in your size. Then you can compare them and read the ratings including snow/ice. Good luck with your decisions.

Nokian WRG4 SUV or Outpost APT - discount tire direct - they often have extra sales especially before black friday if you can wait. They also have extra deals if you get the DT credit card if that's an option. Nokian was the original all-weather. I had WRG2 on a Corolla that I used as winter. Started, stopped better than many AWD trucks and SUV's. They were shocked. Many friends and family still run Nokian versions as year round here in NY, MA, and VT.

Tire Rack Severe snow rated 235-55-20 multiple choices on severe snow rated.

The CC2 is popular with good reviews from users on many sites. GY Assurance WeatherReady has gotten good reviews (mine were noisy for 3 season, I did not try winter as mine had a defect that got prorated by GY and I replaced with true winter). Toyo Celsius - some recommended, I have had poor winter experience from anything that says "sport" but I am used to true winter tires.

Read ALL the reviews for each on TR, DT, CR. Try to watch the video reviews if they have. The all weathers are normally better than all-season but all the sites say still large difference from true winter. Have you checked craigslist, facebook marketplace, ebay, other classifieds?

When you search consider lower model like SV that takes 235-65-18. Wheel-Size.com you can put information in and then search for match or close match. yours is 7.5J x 20 ET50, 5 x 114.3, 66.1 CB. Many Hyundai/Kia have the same but with a 67.1 CB that will fit since it is 1mm larger. If you drop to 18" than there are more vehicle choices. I have gotten some good deals for rims/tires as people traded or sold vehicles. Also check the pathfinder or infiniti forums in the classifieds sections. 2 years ago I got factory 17" alloys with wheel sensors for $150 from forum for my daughters CRV. Needed tires. Smaller rims might = the same with the reduced cost for 18" tires vs 20". I got 1/2 price Blizzaks, less than 1 year old and 5k miles with original receipt details because the guy was moving south.

Many like the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. It is not severe snow rated but I know many that use them year round even for their plow trucks. They have good zig-zag sipes to help the grip.

Last edited:
I'd buy a good all-season tire, and also a set of cable chains for what the all-seasons won't get through. It sounds like you are dealing with ice, and since you can't get a second set of snows, cable chains are the next best option to get you to work.

The Toyo Celsius are wearing great with a smooth, quiet and comfortable ride in summer and good snow grip.

My parents have had these on their Forester for quite a few miles now, they are quite happy with them. How they are on ice I don't really know, they stay home in that stuff.
We have a long steep driveway and I park my car at the top of the hill once or twice a year, if I need to get out for sure. After freezing rain, no rubber tire will work with 2wd in our case. The AWD cars always seem to make it though.

The Nordman Solstice (made by Nokian, same tire as the WR G3) is available in this size and are a great option if you’re looking for a lower cost all weather tire. I have them on my Chrysler Town and Country and am pleased with them.

Attachments

• 9BCD8F71-421F-4C0F-A4C5-19351B4F172F.jpeg
    9BCD8F71-421F-4C0F-A4C5-19351B4F172F.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 33
  • AE09DFB5-983E-45CB-88F7-133BEA167BA1.jpeg
    AE09DFB5-983E-45CB-88F7-133BEA167BA1.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 35
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum, tire size is 235/55/20.

Current tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde's, and they're getting pretty close to the wear bars and will need replaced before the upcoming brutal Idaho winter.

Due to my financial situation I cannot afford a second set of wheels to put snow tires on and swap every year so I need recommendations for tires that I can drive on year-round, but will also be able to get me out of my super steep driveway when it's below freezing.

For example, this winter with my Pirellis was so bad, that even after shoveling my driveway and putting down salt, my Pathfinder in 4WD could NOT get out of the driveway and onto the street and I had to call off work. My neighborhood is so steep and has so many switchbacks that a lot of people park at the bottom of the hill then walk up to their houses because their cars can't make it.
I have Michelin CC2 in 235/55r20... I'm reserving judgement until after this winter... as after 20,000 miles on them, I have my doubts about how effective they will be in the 2nd winter season.

Back