Need advice. Wal Mart double gasketed the oil filter and the car lost it's oil on the road!

Walmart will pay you value of vehicle or cost to rebuild whichever is cheaper. Guessing close.
If I had to pick between a known Honda engine that just ran out of oil with no audible or visible damage, or some unknown junkyard engine of unknown mileage or condition, it would be an easy choice! Especially if a grand or better for eventual car replacement could be negotiated.

An acquaintance of my wife took her 98 Honda Accord to a local Wal Mart and had this experience. She called them right away and they said they would pay for her to have it towed back to the store. She did and they found the two gaskets and told her about it. I think she said they too pictures or video's of the problem.

Then they put in new oil and took out the second gasket and sent her off and said bring it back soon and have the oil changed again to get out any metal shavings or something like that. I was surprised that it would start at all.

I am getting the story through my wife but the car was making a bad noise and then all the dash lights came on and it stopped. She had just left the Wal Mart a few miles before.

Seems like Wal Mart should at least pay for her to have a rebuilt engine.

Does anyone have any experience with a case like this with Wal Mart?

Thanks, guys.
Not with Walmart, but with a local oil change shop. My engine (Ecoboost) was long gone and siezed up completely. The shop owner took full responsibility and his insurance handled it. They agreed to a Ford Remanufactured engine when we could not find a used engine. Then they tried to pay me only their estimate of a used engine, which was 9 grand. (The Ford reman was 11 grand, installed.) I told them my next call was to an attorney and they quickly agreed to send a check to cover the rest. We still take our van there for its oil changes. The kid who double-gasketed the filter was fired for the error. Apparently it wasn't his first rodeo with not doing the job well.

It isn't just Walmart...this type of thing can happen anywhere. It shouldn't, but it does. Especially if a shop is really busy or short-handed and the techs are trying to juggle multiple things at the same time.

My Dad took his Ford to the dealer for an oil change. This is the original dealer and they have treated him very well over the past decades of buying Fords. By very well, I mean to the point that he will go in for a potential issue and they will take his car in, and tell him he actually doesn't need any work done, and they will not even charge him for the time they spent inspecting it. In any event, he gets the oil changed and they totally forgot to refill it. He started the car to leave, immediately got the oil warning light, shut it off and went back in. The dealer looked, determined it had no oil in it, filled it back up, and sent him on his way. The car now has 120,000 miles on it and runs perfect.

Almost 20 years ago we had a Saturn VUE V6 that used the oil filter cartridges. We needed a new oil filter cap and went to the dealer. The guy at the parts counter relayed a story to us about how they were in the process of doing a complete engine replacement on a Saturn that Walmart had messed up after an oil change. He said Walmart was paying for all of the work no problem, but the problem would have been avoided had the owners simply gone to the dealer instead of Walmart.

It isn't just Walmart...this type of thing can happen anywhere. It shouldn't, but it does. Especially if a shop is really busy or short-handed and the techs are trying to juggle multiple things at the same time.

My Dad took his Ford to the dealer for an oil change. This is the original dealer and they have treated him very well over the past decades of buying Fords. By very well, I mean to the point that he will go in for a potential issue and they will take his car in, and tell him he actually doesn't need any work done, and they will not even charge him for the time they spent inspecting it. In any event, he gets the oil changed and they totally forgot to refill it. He started the car to leave, immediately got the oil warning light, shut it off and went back in. The dealer looked, determined it had no oil in it, filled it back up, and sent him on his way. The car now has 120,000 miles on it and runs perfect.

Almost 20 years ago we had a Saturn VUE V6 that used the oil filter cartridges. We needed a new oil filter cap and went to the dealer. The guy at the parts counter relayed a story to us about how they were in the process of doing a complete engine replacement on a Saturn that Walmart had messed up after an oil change. He said Walmart was paying for all of the work no problem, but the problem would have been avoided had the owners simply gone to the dealer instead of Walmart.
Hahaa...ah, not true, even dealerships make these mistakes, most of the time the oil change tech is a young kid right out of high school or nearly that. They don't have a clue and haven't been trained well or nearly at all either.

I double gasketed a vehicle one time and it blew the oil out as soon as I started it .

Most of the Walmart shops in Canada are now Mr. Lube franchises.

1ECC2AAA-D6FC-459B-B7B5-C1BB520046FF.png

im pretty sure the Walmarts in my area NJ dont offerany oil change or mechanical services other than tire or batteries
WM stores in NJ do oil changes. Never used them but I’ve walked through them.

Hahaa...ah, not true, even dealerships make these mistakes, most of the time the oil change tech is a young kid right out of high school or nearly that. They don't have a clue and haven't been trained well or nearly at all either.

As my post said, it can happen anywhere and I provided an example of a dealer forgetting to refill the oil in my Dad's car. The Saturn dealer wouldn't just tell a random customer a lie about Walmart messing up an oil change. The story came up because we were buying an oil filter cap and it reminded the Parts Manager about the engine replacement they were working on.

Back