Need a synthetic 5W20 substitute (can't find the 20 weight viscocity anywhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-

What would you use as a 5W-20 substitute? I can't find any synthetic anywhere. There is teh trusty Motorcraft oil as well as the Catrol etc., but I want a synthetic that is going to match my engine requirments.

I can't find any of the Mobil products (synthetic) less than a 5W30 visococity.

Help, what should I use?

Johnny just mentioned that Pennzoil's 5w20 synthetic is out, or coming out very soon.

Although the current 5w20 they sell is already 70% group 3, so the new "synthetic" is probably virtually the same, so you could just go with the 5w20 Pennzoil that's out there right now, and it's readily available.

I believe that the Motorcraft/Conoco 5W-20 base stock is made from GroupII+ and Group III. Does anyone know the percentage of each? It seems to hold up fine in the up to approximately 4,000 mi OCI according to the UOA I've seen here. And yes, I know there is more to an oil than it's base stock
wink.gif

Whimsey

What will happen (as far as protection) if I run 5W-30 weight Mobil 1 in a 5W-20 spec'd car? Will I get better high temp. protection? Or is it extremely important to run the recommended oil viscocity?

Is there that drastic a difference between 5W20 (Motorcraft) and 5W30 (Mobil 1)?

You won't do any harm to your motor using Mobil 1 5W-30. As far as for high temp/high revving/high engine load protection you'll be slightly better off with the Mobil 1 5W-30. But if you have a WARRANTY that requires you to use the 5W-20 or manufacture's spec'd oil I don't think you're going to do any short or long term harm to the motor. Especially if you change the oil in the 3,000-4,000 mile range. The UOA for the 5W-20 oils have been really decent in a varietry of driving and mileage situations, even in a 2001 Ford Lightning.

Whimsey

Keep in mind that Mobil 1 5w30 is a very thin 30wt to begin with, so in reality it could be substituted for 5w20 with no problems.

Also remember that no changes have been made to the motors by Ford that would require the use of 5w20 - they all used 5w30 one year, 5w20 the next.

And Patman is correct that Mobil 1 is a "thin" 5w30, which has been my point all along to the Mobil 1 crowd who said they wouldn't use a 5w20 because it was too thin.

It's up to you if you are comforatble on the warranty issue. The dino 5w20s seem to be doing very well in that 4,000 mile range. I wouldn't have a problem there.

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
What will happen (as far as protection) if I run 5W-30 weight Mobil 1 in a 5W-20 spec'd car? Will I get better high temp. protection? Or is it extremely important to run the recommended oil viscocity?

Is there that drastic a difference between 5W20 (Motorcraft) and 5W30 (Mobil 1)?

IMHO... not much will happen.. the difference is that you will be better protected with he M1.
The '02 Acura have 5-20 spec... but the 00-01 models are spec at 5-30..and its the SAME engine...
dunno.gif
so goes to say I'm not sold on 5-20 yet or until I see more UOA's. Even the dealer put in 5-30 Valvoline when I asked for synth on my second oil change.
Jean

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Keep in mind that Mobil 1 5w30 is a very thin 30wt to begin with, so in reality it could be substituted for 5w20 with no problems.

If that's the case, would the Mobil 1 15w50 be more like a 15w40? I have a high mileage high reving 4 cylinder car and want to use something relatively thick. I drive on a track about once a month on very hot days in CA. I have been using Schaeffer 5w30 or 10w30 depending on what I can get a hold of. But these might be too thin, that's why I was considering something thicker. My other option is the Schaeffer 15w40 but that may take a long time until my local supplier orders some. TIA for any suggestions.

quote:

If that's the case, would the Mobil 1 15w50 be more like a 15w40?

Mobil 1 15w50 has a viscosity of 17.4 cst at 100c, so it is a thinner 50wt, in that the range for 40wt is 12.5 to 16.3, however a lot of the 15w40s you'll find on the market will be closer to 14 or 15 cst, so M1's 15w50 is a good bit thicker, and probably too thick for your application IMO.

quote:

Good point. I usually tell people to just run M1 5w-30 instead of a 20wt being it's so close. But Walmart carries the 0w-20. I've also noticed too that the new Mobil Drive Clean Plus oils are heavier. They also don't meet the energy conserving spec.

As far as warranty, there shouldn't be any problem (on the dealer's part). I guess I'll run Mobil 1 5W-30 at the 1000 mile oil change.

Last newbie question (I know I've already asked and it has been answered), but...

Does Mobil 1 (5W-30) provide more protection on a 4.6L Mustang engine (requires 5w-20). Or is there not that much difference? to justify the cost delta?

Okay, new question, now that I have decided to go with a 5W-30...

Should I use Red Line or Mobil 1?

Is Red Line API Cert.?

If so, which one will provide me with more protection?

Thanks.

pS I'm, looking for max protection ans longest possible service life.

Why not go to Walmart and run Mobil 1 0w-20? That way you have the best of both worlds.
rolleyes.gif

Just a note, there is no proof yet to say whether a 20wt is worse, as good, or better then a 30wt oil. Until we get some more UOA's it's just all talk at this point. I should have a good comparison of Mobil1 = 10w-30 vs 0w-20 vs 0w-40 within the year's end.

[ July 19, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Hi-

What would you use as a 5W-20 substitute? I can't find any synthetic anywhere. There is teh trusty Motorcraft oil as well as the Catrol etc., but I want a synthetic that is going to match my engine requirments.

I can't find any of the Mobil products (synthetic) less than a 5W30 visococity.

Help, what should I use?

My daughters Taurus called for 5W-20. At the first change the only thing we could find in that weight was Motorcraft which I believe is a blend.

It seemed pointless to me to run a 5W-20 blend when M1 5W-30 has worked so well for me in other vehicles. We've used it since the first change with no problems. I guess I just don't see the downside of doing this...

[ July 19, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

One of my Mustang friend's is telling me that to run a 5W30 on a spec'd 5W20 Mustang engine would cause more wear because of tighter clearances. The engine, in essence, would have to work harder, therefore stressing it out.

My father has the same engine in his 97 truck, and it's been running on 10W30 M1 for 180,000 miles.

The dealer's saying that using a synthetic in a modular Ford engine is virtually a waste of money, because there is just no real wear out to the engine.

I don't know who to believe, and I'm more confused than ever.

I'm thinking of running M1 0W20 if I can find the stuff; otherwise, I'll be going for the M1 5W30. Will this cause premature wear??????

I don't want to do this to my brand new 03 Mustang GT--------->
crushedcar.gif

Good luck finding Mobil 0W-20. No-existant in my neck of the woods. Seriously, you've read all the replys, jump ship and use 5W-30. A LOT of us have because 1. we feel the 5-20's are just too thin 2. It's summer time, need some extra protection 3. engine tolerances have not changed given the same engine type and displacement 4. it's a CAFE-EPA thing.

quote:

One of my Mustang friend's is telling me that to run a 5W30 on a spec'd 5W20 Mustang engine would cause more wear because of tighter clearances. The engine, in essence, would have to work harder, therefore stressing it out.

My father has the same engine in his 97 truck, and it's been running on 10W30 M1 for 180,000 miles.

The dealer's saying that using a synthetic in a modular Ford engine is virtually a waste of money, because there is just no real wear out to the engine.

I don't know who to believe, and I'm more confused than ever.

I'm thinking of running M1 0W20 if I can find the stuff; otherwise, I'll be going for the M1 5W30. Will this cause premature wear??????

I don't want to do this to my brand new 03 Mustang GT--------->
crushedcar.gif

mf- your mustang friend is full of crap. Ask him to identify the tighter tolerances in the engine from when 5w30 was speced to when 5w20 was speced. He'll have a hard time, since nothing has changed. Either oil will work fine. Sure, Ford only suggests one oil weight, but remember the old days? I've got a Jeep that the engine oil recommendations include anything from a 5w20 to a 20w50, all in the same motor. Different oil weights work fine in these mod motors. As you've seen, an xw30 has gone a long time with no problems. 5w20 has been showing fine so far, putting up numbers that are as good, if not better than many of the 5w30 reports we've seen. Can I specifically point to any high mileage motors on 5w20? No, since they are still relatively new.

The dealer is correct in the sense that if you aren't planning on extending drains, and follow the severe schedule like they usually recommend, synthetic buys you very little, especially in a 3,000 mile drain. Dino oils can and do work very well in that interval.

If you can't find the 0w20, run a 5w30 and sleep easy...

And quit worrying about your warranty. It is just as likely that you will have an oiling-related engine failure as it is that you will win the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back