Need a specific machine screw - does it matter?

@JHZR2 you can get very close to the original screw here:

If the threads in the casting are buggered, helicoil will provide plenty of strength. There’s enough meat in the casting to allow for the helicoil.

One other point - this fastener had a large head - this helps spread the clamping force over a large area to prevent distorting the cover.

Whatever you put on there - use a washer of the same size as the head to spread the load.
The threads in the injection pump are perfect. It’s just the Torx female end.

Fortunately no need to do anything else. Unless I apply anti seize or whatnot.

Interestingly these little screws didn’t come with washers. There isnt a ton of space to add bigger ones than the head, but it’s worth a look since this seems to be a common leak prone spot on these engines.

The threads in the injection pump are perfect. It’s just the Torx female end.

Fortunately no need to do anything else. Unless I apply anti seize or whatnot.

Interestingly these little screws didn’t come with washers. There isnt a ton of space to add bigger ones than the head, but it’s worth a look since this seems to be a common leak prone spot on these engines.
Yeah, but the heads on yours are a bit bigger than regular fasteners, and I’ve seen that on lots of stamped steel pans. The OEM can get specialty fasteners. You could get them, too, from your local dealer, at a crazy price per fastener.

Book mark the link I posted. I’ve ordered lots of fasteners from them for various projects. A great source for older European cars.

Back