Need a seal extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
An extractor lever like the one shown below (unavailable at the moment) would work for prying and pulling out cam and crank seals. I remember someone finding a suitable tool at Sears. It looked sort of like a screwdriver with a hooked tip. Any idea what tool might work?

I can't cut the tool myself from a piece of hardened steel, because I don't have a bench grinder. And no, I don't want to drill holes in the seal, screw in screws, and rip the seal out.

seal_extractor_lever.jpg

People who remove & replace siding use a similar tool, but most likely not for your application.

I purchased a similar tool from Sears. It works excellently, a screwdriver is no substitute for this tool. It was under $10, IIRC.

tpitcher, the typical trim removal tool, which I think you mean, doesn't have a tip that's sufficiently curved, and the metal is possibly too soft.

mstrjon32 and NYEngineer, while this isn't the Sears tool I remember, it is actually closer to the tool I showed and should work fine. I'll order that one, thanks!

Just one question: how big is that tool?

Who says I didn't google it? Maybe I just wanted to see if I'd end up with a tool fit for a truck engine.
wink.gif

Yup, the smaller version looks like it will suffice.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/cdmg2&CISOPTR=1754&REC=6

Now that's a seal puller!

Ken

I have one of those hook-type pullers too, but I also have one of these:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis58430.html

It works great when removing seals with the shaft still in place. It comes in handy when getting camshaft seals out where the clearance is limited, like up against the shock tower.

The little hook is made from soft-ish metal and doesn't scratch the shaft.

One of the sawzall blades atatched to a handle designed for the blades would work, choosing one of the hook tooth blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back