Need a new desktop

The choice of SSD has no relation to how much RAM you have, you'd be replacing your boot hard drive with the SSD.

for system info, from a terminal, sudo lshw -short
Can you recommend one ? My computer is just used for browsing .

Which one. I came up with several different ones. Internal or External

Assuming your current drive is SATA, which it should be, given the age of the system, and it won't have an option for PCIe. mSATA or other formats, you'd be going with this one (scroll down, you'll see which I have selected):

There are other sizes, I have been buying the 512GB.

I would never buy a Windows computer with just 8Gb of memory. 12 min. That much I am sure of.
As far as the rest of the machine, to me it looks like a budget do everything machine at a low price that most likely you will be frustrated with over time. But that is just me and Im no longer up to date on Windows machines but I would think you would need to find a good computer on sale for $600 without the monitor, just looks budget all the way down to the processor.
Years ago we had a bad experience with a cheap Lenovo and returned it, the new computer was way slower than the one we were replacing! BUT the good news is, If you dont like it, you can return it to Best Buy.

Im sure more experienced Windows people will chime in ...

Last edited:
I would never buy a Windows computer with just 8Gb of memory. 12 min. That much I am sure of.
As far as the rest of the machine, to me it looks like a budget do everything machine at a low price that most likely you will be frustrated with over time. But that is just me and Im no longer up to date on Windows machines but I would think you would need to find a good computer on sale for $600 without the monitor, just looks budget all the way down to the processor.
Years ago we had a bad experience with a cheap Lenovo and returned it, the new computer was way slower than the one we were replacing! BUT the good news is, If you dont like it, you can return it to Best Buy.

Thanks, i'll keep looking around.

Look, I just looked briefly and again, Im sure others will chime in but if you can swing it, I like this of course you would need to save and get a monitor or use the one you have until you can get a new one.
Here are two =

Last edited:
The CPU chips have not gotten a lot faster in recent years that it's necessary to go out and buy a new one. The decision of whether to upgrade or replace your desktop CPU box comes down to RAM. If you have enough (I have found 8 GB is sufficient for Windows 10 lightly used) then look at upgrades of SSD and larger monitor. These can be taken to a new system when replacement time does come.

The problem with buying RAM for an old box is it will be old types that can't be moved to a brand new CPU board later, so you'd be sinking that cost. That tilts the balance toward replacing the whole system.

Reactions: Y_K

I'd have to agree. Here at work (University) we don't even let departments buy anything without an SSD, i-5 or better, and 16GB or more of RAM. 32GB of RAM is preferred for research machines. The reasoning for this is besides Win 10 running so much crap in the background, the university also has a lot of stuff running, so 8GB just isn't enough. SSD is mandatory or you will need to boot up your machine the night before.

If it was me, I would do one of two things. Either upgrade your current machine with the 512GB SSD recommended in the above posts, and add a bit more RAM, which would hold you over for a bit longer, or buy something with 16GB+ of RAM, an i-5 or i-7, and a 512GB+ SSD. It would likely make it so you don't have to buy a PC for a while.

I'd also echo what people here are saying about Macs. I was never a Mac user until about 3 years ago, now my main machines (including at work) are Macs. They just seem to hold up better over the long term, and Win 10 and it's constant updates that break stuff is no longer much of an issue. The older macs are also very upgradable. I just picked up a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" for my dad for cheap on ebay ($119). I put 16GB of RAM in it, a 500GB SSD I had laying around, and it has a 2.5GHz i-5 as well as bluetooth connectivity. This 10 year old Mac runs better and with less problems than the almost new Microsoft Surface laptop his work gave him.

You said your current machine might be a 7th Gen i3. Before buying a new computer, I'd see if theres anyone in your area who could put a SSD in there and a fresh Windows install. The machine would probably scream. 7th Gen Intel is probably 2016-era. Not that old.

8GB is just fine for day to day work, heck a lot of the clinic machines I support went from 7 to 10 and only have 4GB. The biggest improvement in their performance was the swapping of the spinning disk for an SSD, upgrading the RAM had VERY little impact on the couple I tried it on before just going ahead with SSD's for all of them.

For heavier workloads? Yes, more RAM is beneficial. My Mac Pro has 32GB (may upgrade it further now, since the option exists) and my Macbook Pro 16GB. Next MBP will have 32GB at least. But I game, run VM's....etc. Somebody surfing the web and doing e-mail isn't going to see the benefit of 32GB or likely even 16.

As others have suggested - a seventh gen i3 is 2016 vintage - 6 years old or so. My current personal desktop is a 2013 vintage i7. Dropped a SSD into it about 2.5 years ago - and it runs like a brand new machine. Bumped the RAM too, but the SSD it the thing that woke it up! Does everything I could ever need on Windows 10.

+1 on the SSD; also even though the OP indicates he knows nothing about linux it is probably a good exercise to have him install it on the SSD and "slave" the original OS disk

As I have indicated in the past and others have affirmed, many times people believe they need a new computer when they really need a new OS (or a fresh install of the old junky one i.e. Windows) Windows seems to really dog as more patches are applied. I have a virtual W10 running on my linux box and it takes 20-30 minutes for updates to install (just the OS and security patches and why does it take 100% CPU?) In that time I can have an entire linux OS built and patched from scratch.

40 years of development and MS still has the poorest software package management i have ever seen and is why I avoid recommending Windows for any novice home user.

8GB is just fine for day to day work, heck a lot of the clinic machines I support went from 7 to 10 and only have 4GB. The biggest improvement in their performance was the swapping of the spinning disk for an SSD, upgrading the RAM had VERY little impact on the couple I tried it on before just going ahead with SSD's for all of them.

For heavier workloads? Yes, more RAM is beneficial. My Mac Pro has 32GB (may upgrade it further now, since the option exists) and my Macbook Pro 16GB. Next MBP will have 32GB at least. But I game, run VM's....etc. Somebody surfing the web and doing e-mail isn't going to see the benefit of 32GB or likely even 16.
Agreed. My MacBook Pro has 8gb of RAM, only had an issue and got a warning about low memory when hammering the RAM with GarageBand, but I was using 100+MB to gigabyte or 2 .wav sound files before processing it to high quality mp3 to send to the radio station. Just browsing the web and watching YouTube 8gb is more than enough, worst I’ve seen was ~5gb of usage.

8GB is just fine for day to day work
I wanted to indulge myself, so I went for 128GB. I got it when RAM was cheap. It's only DDR4 3200, but it's great to have. Now I dream of 256GB and running my VM's in RAM, lol. Of course, most people don't need this much RAM, but it's always comforting to have.

Back