Need a new desktop

You just opened a whole new world for me there...
I wish more people thought of Linux laptops or desktops as an option. It's not like 10-15 years ago when you had to browse forums and open a command line and add software to a repository. I have two Lenovos one with Ubuntu the other with Ubuntu Studio. And I'm not a huge fan of the layout of Ubuntu Studio but it has alot of editing software that comes pre-installed. I installed the disk let it run reboot, login and the wifi, video, audio, even the hdmi interface works. That was added back in Ubuntu 13 years ago.

I wish more people thought of Linux laptops or desktops as an option. It's not like 10-15 years ago when you had to browse forums and open a command line and add software to a repository. I have two Lenovos one with Ubuntu the other with Ubuntu Studio. And I'm not a huge fan of the layout of Ubuntu Studio but it has alot of editing software that comes pre-installed. I installed the disk let it run reboot, login and the wifi, video, audio, even the hdmi interface works. That was added back in Ubuntu 13 years ago.
I messed around with Linux in my Junior year at High School (circa 2010) , but kind of drifted away and forgot about it. May have to revisit. Hopefully its more friendly now to us the average users.

I need a new desktop. Only used for internet , taxes a few pictures. I have no idea what i would need. Or where the best place to buy it. I would like a monitor 22 inches up. I dont want to buy more capability than i will ever use.

Suggestions?
Mac M1 mini, best bang for the buck as far as processor. We have two of them
Mine is about 2 years old with the i5 intel,
Just got my wife the new mini with m1 chip for Christmas because we were so impressed with mine. Plus the seamless integration with our iPhones and MacBook Air.
Anyway as far as I’m concerned it can’t be beat, both models of the base models. The new base M1 model is actually a bit less expensive with the most powerful processor on the market anywhere near its price range from any manufacturer.
I only paid 569 at Costco around Christmas time 2021. I think it’s 659 or about that at Costco now and 699 on Apple’s website.
It will be everything you need and more, carefree, amazing only one and a half inches tall, completely noise free and energy efficient with no heat at all.
Best of all the Apple operating system is constantly updated and your computer won’t turn obsolete for a very long time.

Mac M1 mini, best bang for the buck as far as processor. We have two of them
Mine is about 2 years old with the i5 intel,
Just got my wife the new mini with m1 chip for Christmas because we were so impressed with mine. Plus the seamless integration with our iPhones and MacBook Air.
Anyway as far as I’m concerned it can’t be beat, both models of the base models. The new base M1 model is actually a bit less expensive with the most powerful processor on the market anywhere near its price range from any manufacturer.
I only paid 569 at Costco around Christmas time 2021. I think it’s 659 or about that at Costco now and 699 on Apple’s website.
It will be everything you need and more, carefree, amazing only one and a half inches tall, completely noise free and energy efficient with no heat at all.
Best of all the Apple operating system is constantly updated and your computer won’t turn obsolete for a very long time.
That looks interesting.

Does it run on windows? i don't want to have to relearn.

For a monitor I like BENQ with eye care. Easier on the eyes than other monitors I have had.

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-proprie...rnid=2633086011&s=pc&sprefix=benq&sr=1-1&th=1

To run Windows 11 your will probably need newer computer, but I am not very good with technical details. I just know when I do Windows update it lets me know if I can upgrade. I have good luck with HP business models if you want a tower.

I have gone from tower with monitor to laptop and just plug in a cable to use the BENQ montitor. I live close to Micro Center and have recent buys of HP and Acer with an i5 have been solid performers. I prefer the Acer.

Since you have an older computer that could be something to try Linux on if you are ever interested. I use a Lenovo with Ubuntu for most tasks. They play well. Great for surfing and have never had a virus issue. Still use Windows on other computers and some things just work better on Windows. Good Luck!

Since you have an older computer that could be something to try Linux on if you are ever interested. I use a Lenovo with Ubuntu for most tasks. They play well. Great for surfing and have never had a virus issue. Still use Windows on other computers and some things just work better on Windows. Good Luck!
Linux, Unbuntu. I am not a techie, i don't even know what those are. I just need a replacement desk top for basic stuff.

That looks interesting.

No they cannot run Windows. But honestly the hardest thing to relearn is the muscle memory, macOS stuff to close/minimize/full screen is on the left hand side instead of the right.

I've defraged , run cleanups, etc. It has this habit of freezing up and having trouble booting, loads pages with firefox in anonymous mode , may take 10 minutes to load yahoo or bitog in non anonymous mode. I've cleared cache, cookies reloaded firefox. Tired of messing with it.
Sorry, I understand. My Dell computers have all worked out. You don't need a lot power for you work. Hope you get a deal.

You'd probably be fine with a fresh re-install of Windows. Do you know any teenage kids who can set you up? If you have an old spinning type hard drive, it's worth it to upgrade to an solid state drive (aka an SSD).

I am currently using a 12 years old computer, I bought it used for $150 around 6 years ago.
It is called Dell Precision (build like a tank because it is a workstation class computer, not consumer class).
It was off lease from company but I found it on Ebay.
It has Xeon CPU and have since upgraded the Ram (12 Gb) and SSD (1TB) and graphics card.
It is still faster than any new one.

Here is my suggestion, if you need to get a new one.
Buy at least an i5 class instead of i3.
i3 is the lowest out of that level of CPU.
If you can get i7, that should last you for a longer time.

Reactions: Y_K
I am currently using a 12 years old computer, I bought it used for $150 around 6 years ago.
It is called Dell Precision (build like a tank because it is a workstation class computer, not consumer class).
I have the Dell Precision T3500 that's getting a bit slow loading pages. Maybe I need more RAM ?

I have the Dell Precision T3500 that's getting a bit slow loading pages. Maybe I need more RAM ?
I have the same one.
Does it have SSD? If not, that is your answer.
It is a 3 channel DDR3 as supposed to dual channel so you need 2GBx6 or 4GBx3 for 12GB of 6x1GB for 6GB Ram.
If you only have 2 module installed, get a third module of same capacity then it should run faster.

SSD is relatively cheap, you can buy 1TB for under $100.
Then you can clone the existing HD and keep it in there for backup.

I am not using their redundancy HD system.

I have the same one.
Does it have SSD? If not, that is your answer.
It is a 3 channel DDR3 as supposed to dual channel so you need 2GBx6 or 4GBx3 for 12GB of 6x1GB for 6GB Ram.
If you only have 2 module installed, get a third module of same capacity then it should run faster.

SSD is relatively cheap, you can buy 1TB for under $100.
Then you can clone the existing HD and keep it in there for backup.

I am not using their redundancy HD system.
I think I have alot of freed up Disk space so Im not sure I need a SSD

I think I have alot of freed up Disk space so Im not sure I need a SSD
It makes an absolutely massive difference, regardless of how much free space you have. I'm using an ancient (2010) Mac Pro that still works fantastically well, I have Windows 10 and MacOS Monterey both on SSD's in it w/32GB of RAM.

I need a new desktop. Only used for internet , taxes a few pictures. I have no idea what i would need. Or where the best place to buy it. I would like a monitor 22 inches up. I dont want to buy more capability than i will ever use.

Suggestions?
Wipe the drive and do a fresh OS reload. Better than any upgrade.

That looks interesting.

No but re-learning isnt a bad thing and its pretty much all the same idea only better. If you ever have a question about something jsut type your question into google or duckduckgo and being its apple you will have a tons of answers to your question.

Are these the specs for an SSD based on the amount of RAM I have ? Also is there a way to find out the amount of RAM I have without opening the computer ? I'm also running Ubuntu.

Are these the specs for an SSD based on the amount of RAM I have ? Also is there a way to find out the amount of RAM I have without opening the computer ? I'm also running Ubuntu.
The choice of SSD has no relation to how much RAM you have, you'd be replacing your boot hard drive with the SSD.

for system info, from a terminal, sudo lshw -short

Back