Need a midsize SUV. 2021 Grand Cherokee, Blazer - or wait for 2022?

2021 is supposedly the last year for this generation JGC. So if you’re looking to buy new that is something to keep in mind.

All i know about GM 3.6 is they have changed it so many times. It can still have timing chain and other issues. Could a diligent BITOGr nurse one along to a long life? Probably. They should have just used the gen v 4.3 LV3 engines. They have got to cost less to build and certainly are more reliable. Not to mention easier to package into vehicles.

The first few years of the LLT 3.6 DI there were some undeniable issues, the later LLT engine received a whole host of durability improvements and are generally reliable. The LFX 3.6 is a solid motor, GM reworked a lot of components and it’s a real workhorse of an engine. The LGX/LGZ are the newest GM 3.6 versions and they are completely different from the LFX, I can’t recall if they share any internal parts. It was a clean sheet redesign. Bottom line, the LFX and newer versions are solid, the LLT can be spotty depending on if it was a older or newer build and also if maintenance was performed adequately. They no longer have widespread failures.

Yeah we have heard the story of "this 3.6 is upgraded, i promise we fixed it this time" many times before. It has had countless revisions. Time will tell if they nailed the latest generation or not. It just looks overly complex and high strung. LV3=305lb torque at 3900 rpm. 2019 Blazer LGX 269lb torque at 5000 rpms. Most of these engines are in mundane people haulers that rarely get revved out. The LV3 would outperform in real world driving and certainly in easy of maintenance.

The LFX was placed into production in 2011 starting with the 2012 Camaro. They’ve already proven to be reliable. You may get a bad apply just like any other engine family but as a whole they are very reliable.

My wife had a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited with the Hemi purchased new. I believe that was the first year for this platform. I loved it and jinxed it when I said we’d keep it for a long time when it was around 55-60,000 miles. Within a week the blend door for the HVAC failed resulting in frigid winter drives for the passenger and the fuse box or whatever it was had an issue but was on national backorder. The engine would crank for long periods at times. Traded it in on a Lexus GX. I’d hope they’ve fixed the blend door issue but it was an issue long before ours so who knows.

+1 on the Grand Cherokee.
I get to drive V6 GCs as I work at a Jeep store, I have the Hemi in mine.
The V6 is good, but the Hemi is effortless.
Both engines are good choices.

My wife had a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited with the Hemi purchased new. I believe that was the first year for this platform. I loved it and jinxed it when I said we’d keep it for a long time when it was around 55-60,000 miles. Within a week the blend door for the HVAC failed resulting in frigid winter drives for the passenger and the fuse box or whatever it was had an issue but was on national backorder. The engine would crank for long periods at times. Traded it in on a Lexus GX. I’d hope they’ve fixed the blend door issue but it was an issue long before ours so who knows.
There is a stupid little plastic gear that would break... $10 part, barely enough room to get at it. Mine broke around 75k miles. There was also a recall for the fuel pump relay which would cause long cranks or no starts.

There is a stupid little plastic gear that would break... $10 part, barely enough room to get at it. Mine broke around 75k miles. There was also a recall for the fuel pump relay which would cause long cranks or no starts.

It was the TIPM, Integrated Powertrain Module that was the problem. It failed in different ways and fortunately ours would be long periods of cranking without starting but would eventually run. Others were not drivable and stuck at the dealer for weeks as the supplier went under I believe. There was a company in Arkansas that would repair yours and send it back but at that point I was done with the Jeep as my wife was pregnant with our first and I didn’t want to risk her being stranded.

Well I emailed the dealer Monday morning and the Jeep I was interested in was already sold, hasn't even arrived at the dealer. Telluride has 3 rows, so it's out. It's amazing how many different configurations you can get these things in.

Whatever you can get the best deal on :)

If I'm spending this kind of money, I'm getting exactly what I want. There are just so many drivetrain options, packages, trim levels...it's not like buying an Accord LX where they're all identical and you just need to pick the color.

Last edited:
Well I emailed the dealer Monday morning and the Jeep I was interested in was already sold, hasn't even arrived at the dealer. Telluride has 3 rows, so it's out. It's amazing how many different configurations you can get these things in.
Why is 3 rows a deal breaker? They fold down...

Also, only the top SX trim gets 3 rows. The LX, S, and EX are 2 row.

The gc is a great vehicle. But I would wait until the next generation. I am always blown away by how much nicer next generation interiors are compared to current generation. The current gc interior is nice but can feel cheap.

My uncle just picked a White Grand Cherokee yesterday for my Aunt and they’re already in love with it, it replaced their Chrysler Aspen. All I currently know is it’s a v6 and he said it feels better than the hemi did in the Aspen!

It is sad, i had the similar looking one in my old 2003 Santa Fe back in the days. I really love the exterior of the it though

I just looked it up, I don't think the design is that bad. The only think I could criticize are the silly appliqué looking piano black plastic trim pieces on the two bottom spokes.

Back