Need a compatible synthetic oil for a 04 VW Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm asking this question for my friend who just purchased a 2004 VW Beetle that is in need of an oil change. Upon looking through the owners manual it says the 2.0L 8V engine that is in the car needs a high quality synthetic oil and 5w-40 is recommended and if not available 5w-30. The oil should be...

VW 502 00, VW 500 00, VW501 00
ACEA A2 or ACEA A3
APE Service SJ

What name brand synthetic oil should my friend use in his Veedub?

Thanks

That engine can run on anything, unless you have an oil burner. If you do, synth is an even worse option.

I'm actually thinking about 5w-20 in my mom's 1998 Passat 2.0 short-tripper. It does not burn a drop.

In summer, 10w-40 and winter 5w-30 >DINO<. Auto-Rx or Hi-Miles oil is soemthing to consider.

With you being up in Canada, your oil choices are a bit different than what is commonly sold here. Hopefully someone from your side of the border will have an answer for you. Surely Esso or Petro Canada make an oil two that qualifies.
I know Amsoil makes an oil that qualifies. They have a Euro 5W-40 that meets the specs you listed.

maybe petro or esso, but what about your usual brand mobil, pp, valvoline, QS?

I think the VW 2.0L isn't that picky. Any good syn would work. In fact, there was a time they (VW) seemed to recommend mineral 15W-40 in summer, and 10W-30 in the cooler months in these engines...

The VW 502 spec comes more from the 1.8L Turbo slugger...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
how is 0w-40 in both summer and winter?

I ran it in my townie and it was excellent.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
how is 0w-40 in both summer and winter?

It's fantastic.

You could also use Castrol Syntec 5W-40 or 0W-30. From Castrol's website:

SAE 5W–40:
is engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection for gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Porsche approved and also exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL–98. Meets the engine protection requirements of Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF–3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

SAE 0W–30:
Castrol SYNTEC 0W–30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W–30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low–temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to –40ºF. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL–01; GM–LLA–025, GM–LL–B–025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF–3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

I'm sure there are others, like Valvoline 5-40, etc.

40 weight will bog down the engine more than it should. The only synth I'd consider is Euro 30 weights, Like German Syntec 0w-30, MaxLife Synth or Mobil 1 10w-30 Hi-Miles. In Canada, I think Esso XD 3 0w-30 is a thick 30 too. Mobil 1 0w-40 is a decent choice too, a thin 40 that is geared toward mpg.

Still, VW specs are for the cruising on the Autobahn all day.

In my Mom's 2.0, I believe it's GTX 10w-30 now. That works for us in a warmer climate.

If it's an oil burner, the move up to the Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec 5W50. My friend's 98 2.0 Beetle burned so much oil, he couldn't add oil fast enough to keep it full!!!

But after switching to the 5W50 year round, he has effectively curbed his oil consumption to something much more manageable, and UOA's show that his 10-15k km run is great with single digit wear numbers.

Other than that, if it's not an oil burner, agreed that any 0W40 / 5W40 would fit the bill perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back