Need 2 16" tires next winter. I can buy 4 slightly used now for 1/2 price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get 4 Yoko Avid V4S that are $90ea new for $225 with only 1200 miles (on a lightweight car). I only need 2 for next winter, but should I grab the 4 now? They are great tires, maybe #3 on my list maybe even higher. If I get these, I won't have to drive on rags over the Fall to economise. What to do???

I don't understand "I only need 2 for next winter". Are you planning to use these Yoko's as winter tires? I'm sorry but your post makes no sense to me. Do you need new tires now?

I have some good tires on now, but will need 2 new ones for winter. I go through them kinda fast. I was basicly thinking outloud about it with my post. It's solved, I found someone I know with a RSX to take 2 of them and I'll take 2. It would be not until the following winter that I'd use the 2nd pair of Yokos. I just have too many sets of wheels and tires.

It is recommended to use Winter Tires in sets of 4.

In some countries it is mandated to replace them as a complete set.

Why North American customers insist on using two at a time is beyond me. Simply installing them on the drive axle only .... nm i do not want a headache now.

By the way you can never have too many spare wheels or tires. Roads are inherently dangerous, nails, metal, glass, curbs. Flats, Bubbles and blow outs are not a matter of if but when.

Can not comment on Run-Flats
smile.gif

These are all-seasons. I always use at least 2 new all-seasons come wintertime. I have no problem with 2 snow tires in front either. RWD might use just 2 on rear. One must remember that not all winter driving is in snow. Take the RWD example. What good would really come from adding 2 cheap, poor-handling snows on to the front of a car once it's on dry pavment? It would make handling worse.

What good would really come from adding 2 cheap, poor-handling snows on to the front of a car once it's on dry pavment? It would make handling worse.

Your exactly correct. The newest high performance winter tires ... (ex Goodyear UltraGrip GW3, Michelin Pilot Alpin, Dunlop Winter Sport M3) make the dry death braking-shimmy & poor handling of Q rated winter tires obsolete. The GW3 is supposed to be fine even driven all season
smile.gif
Of course all these tires have heavy price tags.

Well, I bought the 4 Yoko V4S for $225. They are about $90~plus new (205/55-16). I noticed that I am going through my Michelins sorta fast, and I won't have to conserve tread and run on bald tires as long with 4 nice ones sitting here for Fall/Winter. It's a done deal. I hope I like them. The Yokos are on my list of tires I want to try. I might have gotten the Conti Extremes again or tried the Avons, but the Yokos I have on my CRV are pretty awesome. If I was buying these tires, I'd probally have only gotten the H-rated ones, so it's a plus-plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back