Nearly $2k water pump/thermostat housing at 65k miles considered normal for EA888 Gen 3?

So apparently the EA888 Gen 3 is known for this. My GTI and one of my Passats both smell of coolant and weep from the water pump area. The job is not easy and nearly $2k if I want a shop to do it. Intake has to come off, so why not get it carbon blasted as well. Ugh, how can this be acceptable in such a new car?

Very normal on the Gen 3 EA888.

I just did one on a 15 A3 2.0t a few weeks ago. The intake does not need to come off for the repair. You just remove the charge pipe, throttle body and a few connectors.

If the charge pipe and clamp do not want to behave, you can remove the throttle body with the rubber section still attached but the T-30 screws will require some creativity to remove.

So apparently the EA888 Gen 3 is known for this. My GTI and one of my Passats both smell of coolant and weep from the water pump area. The job is not easy and nearly $2k if I want a shop to do it. Intake has to come off, so why not get it carbon blasted as well. Ugh, how can this be acceptable in such a new car?
No you WILL NOT pay $2k.
It is known issue since Gen1 and although VW did recalls etc. they keep insisting on plastic housing. It is hit or miss. I traded in CC with 116k and original pump. On Tiguan they recalled it when it had 74k miles.
Get aluminum pump! GRAF makes one.
Listen @Critic. You don’t have to remove intake manifold. There are numerous YouTube videos.

No you WILL NOT pay $2k.
It is known issue since Gen1 and although VW did recalls etc. they keep insisting on plastic housing. It is hit or miss. I traded in CC with 116k and original pump. On Tiguan they recalled it when it had 74k miles.
Get aluminum pump! GRAF makes one.
Listen @Critic. You don’t have to remove intake manifold. There are numerous YouTube videos.
$2k is about right for the job.

The GEN3? I know housing was cracking.
The housings crack due to oil leaks. The Gen 3 water pump/t-stat unit usually leaks due to a gasket failure. There is actually a TSB to only replace the gasket.

All of those MK7 videos ask you to remove the manifold. It is not necessary to remove the manifold for this job.

VW doesn't pay the dealers under warranty to remove the intake according to the above video.
Since many dealers are crooks, they charge you for a different method out of warranty and make more profit.

$2k is about right for the job.

The housings crack due to oil leaks. The Gen 3 water pump/t-stat unit usually leaks due to a gasket failure. There is actually a TSB to only replace the gasket.

All of those MK7 videos ask you to remove the manifold. It is not necessary to remove the manifold for this job.
Well depends where. I mean $2k might be ok somewhere.
That doesn’t mean he has to do it or that someone else won’t do it cheaper.

Well depends where. I mean $2k might be ok somewhere.
That doesn’t mean he has to do it or that someone else won’t do it cheaper.
It's all relative. The A3 I did bills at 3.5 hrs. Normal parts mark-up, dealership labor rates, coolant, etc, it is in the $1500-1600 range.

Also, a tip for the OP, don't replace the belt. But make sure you replace the union and vacuum fill the system. The $130 U-View airlift on amazon works fine.

I think "such a new car" is where you've been had.

Automotive design is not immune to the de-evolution of mankind.

It's all relative. The A3 I did bills at 3.5 hrs. Normal parts mark-up, dealership labor rates, coolant, etc, it is in the $1500-1600 range.

Also, a tip for the OP, don't replace the belt. But make sure you replace the union and vacuum fill the system. The $130 U-View airlift on amazon works fine.
Curious why you say don't replace the belt ? My wife has a 17 Passat 1.8 that is just starting to drip . This will be a warranty repair , if I have to buy a belt and pay to have them do it while there I will .

Curious why you say don't replace the belt ? My wife has a 17 Passat 1.8 that is just starting to drip . This will be a warranty repair , if I have to buy a belt and pay to have them do it while there I will .
Because replacing the belt requires a special tool to remove the gear and the bolt is a one-time use left-hand thread TTY bolt. And torquing it properly can be challenging.

That belt will probably outlast the engine.

Once I worked for VW. Occasionally get a notion to return to my roots and get another. Convo here painfully disabused me of that fantasy.

1641504499371.jpg

Back