Near head-on yesterday at an intersection

You should ride a motorcyle sometime, no one is watching for them,,if you ride a motorcycle you notice how bad many people drive their cars.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was driving on a 2-lane 35MPH road turning right when behind me I saw a Jeep flying up the road going probably 55MPH. The driver went into the oncoming lane (double yellow) to pass me since I was going too slow making my right turn, and honked as he went by.

Then the other day I had turned onto that same road and was behind Mr. Magoo in his Toyota Camry. Mr. Magoo was a little lost and going a little below the speed limit, and Mr. Speed Racer in the Hyundai Genesis two cars behind me wasn't having it and passed all of us on a 2-lane double yellow.

Just another day driving in the paradise that is Northern Virginia.

Drivers have changed because todays vehicles accelerate faster, handle better and brake better as a whole than vehicles from years ago.
Plus todays vehicles have a drive by wire accelerator pedal tuned for aggressive throttle engagement. It's not linear on most vehicles.

Add the fact most of us will take a quick peep on our cellphone behind the wheel to check on a text and maybe even text something back. You know who you are.

Drivers have changed because todays vehicles accelerate faster, handle better and brake better as a whole than vehicles from years ago.

Even drivers in older vehicles drive like jerks around here. What has changed, if anything, is more drivers on the same substandard 2-lane roads that existed since Byrd was governor.

I guessing he was focused on the car to the left of you that was further back and proceeded through the intersection without even noticing you. No excuse, just a possible explanation.

Very true, but how do you know he is a god person? Could be an atheist too.
I think you're right. Not only that, he saw the white SUV and figured he could beat it through the turn, he probably didn't even see you as his vision may have been blocked! He was completely focused on beating the SUV through the turn. If he did see you, it didn't register in his brain.

Glad you're OK!

Plus todays vehicles have a drive by wire accelerator pedal tuned for aggressive throttle engagement. It's not linear on most vehicles.
I'm afraid it's not the attitude of the cars that causes aggressive and dangerous driving, instead the attitude of the person driving the car.

This exact scenario played out poorly a few days ago near my workplace. Very glad that you are safe wwillson.
The car on the right hit a guy wire and pushed it forward 15 feet without breaking or unearthing it. Amazing.
Car Wreck (2).jpg

True, i used to ride, there is also no shortage of poor bike handling/manners.

I used to hear a sportbike go by my house at around 11pm. Had an exhaust loud enough you could hear him coming for at least a mile.

I could tell from the tone of the exhaust two things:

1)He was going pretty fast

2)He didn't even slow down for the 4-way stop.

God people can be total morons. Ugh.
Happens or they get old or misjudge. Drive a safe car defensively and likely case nothing will happen thankfully.

Drive a motorcycle wish you luck in your deathwish. I have witnessed two eventual fatals with motorcycles and one instant(helmet think with head kept rolling after rider went under guardrail.

Yes, but even if your driving skills are crap, this seems to be more of a stupidity or depth perception thing.

I agree ^^^^^^

Or it's a " I'm entitled" kind of thing too.

I seriously try hard to do the opposite now...

I look to let people go in front of me on the interstate to help keep them from being trapped behind slower traffic.. Or I make sure to get out of their way if I'm in their way... Aka they are going way way faster than me and I'm going at a good clip to begin with.

By doing these things it has helped me enjoy driving in spite of all the foolishness that goes on.

Back