national treasure movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Just got back from seeing national treasure. I rarely goto the movies - this is the first time in a few years. I really enjoyed the first one, and the second one doesnt disappoint. There is more action and drama, more twists and oddities, but the general formula doesnt really change, for better or worse.

It was a good movie - interesting historical fiction, and though perhaps a bit more far-fetched even than the first, a worthy watch all the same...

JMH

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I walked out of the first one.

I don't even go to see most movies... because they suck and are a waste of my money... what's your point?

Is it easy to anticipate what will happen next? yes... is the writing relatively simplistic and non-impressive? yes. But so what? The historical fiction backbone of the movie is its drawing and redeeming quality, not how wonderful (or not) its writing, acting and plot is.

If I want to do something that actually stimulates my brain, Ill study thermodynamics or chemical reaction kinetics, things that are infinitely more valuable than any movie or book could ever be, because they create real, intrinsic value, and provide real insight into how the world actually works.

To do something enjoyable two days before Christmas, and actually have a good time is a different issue altogether.

JMH

Last edited:
I heard both were good. I'll have to add that to my Netflix que. Thanks for the review.
cheers3.gif

Sure it's got an "Indiana Jones" cartoon action quality to it. By that I mean the para-James Bond action that always just makes the impossible move to get out in the nick of time in a totally impossible manner ..but so have many films that I've enjoyed. Although certainly not Cage's most demanding role, it was "entertaining". Not thought provoking or loaded with intense drama ..but neither was something like Pirates of the Caribbean ..which I thoroughly enjoyed and consider one of Depps best performances ..as contrived and unrealistic as the whole thing was ..characters included.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: moribundman
I walked out of the first one.

I don't even go to see most movies... because they suck and are a waste of my money... what's your point?

My point was that this movie was so uninteresting that I couldn't stand watching it.

Quote:
The historical fiction backbone of the movie is its drawing and redeeming quality

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

JMH

I saw it last night only because my wife is a Nicolas Cage fan. It was cartoonish and I've seen Tom and Jerry cartoons that were more plausible. Another thing that motivated me to go was that I knew that Mt. Rushmore was a prominent backdrop. I've been a few times and I've always enjoyed seeing it in the movies. I'm with others that really can't stand most of the drivel that H'wood pukes out these days. Rarely do they deliver much that isn't a profound insult to one's intelligence. And I'm no rocket scientist as many here have noted over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back