NASTY engine noise: Chevron 15w-40!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are my thoughts as well as to what happening. Hence, Jerry's prior comments on his engines that had good UOA's, but upon teardown had carboned up valvetrains and ringpacks.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
I agree...and how does 'varnish occurring' show up on a UOA? I'm guessing it doesn't...and may even account for some of the superlative showings...

I'm guessing you are right. I don't believe uoa's can show you much about the state of engine cleanliness until something is really compromised, but I'm not sure that was ever a realistic function of the uoa.

A good varnish coating might help to show some good low numbers, because wear metals get sealed in with the coating.

I think you can be building light varnish even with 3K oci's. imho.

Why don't you start a new thread addressing this issue?

I'd really like to see how everyone feels about this...

Well, I just finished the second Auto-RX cleaning phase.
dunno.gif
Valve cover recently opened, motor was spotless.
dunno.gif
The engine has 84,000 miles on it. I dunno what the **** is wrong with it, but it is night and day quieter with 10w-30. Perhaps there is some blockage still in the drilled crank passages, not allowing oil to get to the big end of the rods. It sounded like that and also piston slap. But I can't imagine there would be crud blocking pressure galleys because the previous owner had all the oil change paperwork.

quote:

Originally posted by Lubricious:

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Of course some of you will think I'm a tad bit biased,

You? Biased towards 15w-40 HDEO?

I said that because some have been giving me a little bit of slack for my recommendations.

After some time off from the site, I've learned to take things a great deal less seriously and for once stand up for what I believe in regards to engine oils.

It's not that I'm biased...I just feel these oils that cost a mere $6/gallon have a broader use than in diesels alone.

Others may think what they may...

Nothing in the engine was blocked and it's as simple as this.

The oil was too thick for this engine . Changing back to a formulated 10-30wt with the VII's working as the chemist's intended obviously fixed the problem .

In fact per the owners words it is now is whisper quiet like it always was

had a friend with a similar year corolla that fed his car a steady diet of 15w-40 and it caused the oil pump to fail and seized the engine. Had to get a whole new longblock assembly, saved the heads though. From what he was telling me, the oil pumps in those things are way underbuilt, and if you use too heavy of an oil, it'll fry it out and you're stuck with the bill.

There are a million Toyotas over here running 15W-40. That's the first time I've heard of an oil causing an oil pump failure.

In fact, it's very, very rare for an oil to cause any sort of mechanical damage to an engine.

That's just my opinion, others may disagree.
grin.gif

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by Durrr:
had a friend with a similar year corolla that fed his car a steady diet of 15w-40 and it caused the oil pump to fail and seized the engine. Had to get a whole new longblock assembly, saved the heads though. From what he was telling me, the oil pumps in those things are way underbuilt, and if you use too heavy of an oil, it'll fry it out and you're stuck with the bill.

Yikes! I am skeptical of claims like this, but............ya never know I guess. Yea, the oil pump on these afe designated engines is, well, TINY! I mean, the size of the rotors is like micro; they are about the size of a large pinion gear for an RC car engine
shocked.gif
So maybe the whole thicker is better just may not be correct for certain engines.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back