NASCAR V8 vs Formula 1 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I thought that look familar. Back in Cleveland in the early 70s a friend of mine had a Boss 429 in a mustang...just like the Hemi it was an impressive engine just to look at....

Indeed. GM didn't have anything on the HEMI or the BOSS. A dealer in the states, TASCA, had a 10-second BOSS 429, fitted with the 494ci CAN-AM version of the engine.

It was tracked every weekend, car was called the "Super BOSS".

Was recently restored, dynoed 735RWHP!!! Ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: 67Chevelle
Ya they actually do with some modification. Its not a direct bolt on deal though. For some reason the link to the article on it is dead but it has been done.

The bolt holes all line up. The issue is intake fitment and the like. Nobody makes an intake (for obvious reasons) for that setup.

I thought you had to modify some of the water passages as well?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Ya they actually do with some modification. Its not a direct bolt on deal though. For some reason the link to the article on it is dead but it has been done.

The bolt holes all line up. The issue is intake fitment and the like. Nobody makes an intake (for obvious reasons) for that setup.

I thought you had to modify some of the water passages as well?

Not 100% sure, can't find the article on it that I had.

Been reading that the Oz V-8 supercars are using short deck (8.325") SBC blocks for aero reasons, are limited to 5 litres (302 or thereabouts), and getting 600-650 hp at 7500 Revs.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Been reading that the Oz V-8 supercars are using short deck (8.325") SBC blocks for aero reasons, are limited to 5 litres (302 or thereabouts), and getting 600-650 hp at 7500 Revs.

Sounds like the sort of application that the BOSS 302 and Chevy 302 were designed for.....

The heads on Jay's engine I posted earlier were BOSS 302 heads.

He's going a LOT higher than 7,500RPM... Probably around 10K, and 7's on motor.... Well, that's a bit more than 650HP
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back