NASCAR V8 vs Formula 1 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite impressive, indeed. I have a set of original Boss 351 heads my own self, sitting on a pretty radical (for its time) 357 Cleveland, all from back in the day ('70's) when anything Ford was major $$$, and a big part of any project was finding parts, then trying to find someone who wasn't a Chevy-only guy to do your machine work. Guys today sure do have it made, parts-wise. Strokers, special blocks, CNC'ed heads, you want 11:1 pistons with special ring locations - sure, you name it - all by clicking on the screen.
happy2.gif
I remember spending months combing junkyards to find parts..
frown.gif
To have that time and $$$, back......

But, did that thing scream!! 3,800#+, street-driven '71 Mustang that ran in the low 11's.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Cleveland heads are big block Chevrolet heads for a small block Ford.

They are canted-valve heads, just like the 385 heads.

The 385 heads were indeed very similar to the BBC heads, some will say BBC derived.

Of course I can take GM LSx heads and bolt them on my 302.......

I remember when Bill Jenkins (Grumpy's Toy) ruled the roost till Wayne Gapp and Jack Roush high ported the Cleveland heads and blew everybody out of the water. Bill Glidden took it to a new level, and again with the Plymouth Arrow. Americans must wonder how somebody on the other side of the world knows so much about their racing history?

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I remember when Bill Jenkins (Grumpy's Toy) ruled the roost till Wayne Gapp and Jack Roush high ported the Cleveland heads and blew everybody out of the water. Bill Glidden took it to a new level, and again with the Plymouth Arrow. Americans must wonder how somebody on the other side of the world knows so much about their racing history?

Mr. Allen (owns the engine above) is good friends with the Gliddens actually.

The only reason Grumpy did so good is that he complained to the NHRA about the Power of the Hemis and got a weight change that gave him an advantage in less weight then the hemi powerd cars...

Ya they actually do with some modification. Its not a direct bolt on deal though. For some reason the link to the article on it is dead but it has been done.

Originally Posted By: 67Chevelle
Ya they actually do with some modification. Its not a direct bolt on deal though. For some reason the link to the article on it is dead but it has been done.

The bolt holes all line up. The issue is intake fitment and the like. Nobody makes an intake (for obvious reasons) for that setup.

Originally Posted By: sprintman

Yep - saw Glidden/Grumpy in a match race at Keystone Raceway back in the 70's. Quite impressive watching those cars just LEAP out of the hole.
thumbsup2.gif

I really enjoyed drag racing back then....the pro stock now are just bodies over the same stuff. Same with Funny Cars...they say that it is a ford or a toyota but underneath they are all Chrylser Hemis or a verson of...

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I really enjoyed drag racing back then....the pro stock now are just bodies over the same stuff. Same with Funny Cars...they say that it is a ford or a toyota but underneath they are all Chrylser Hemis or a verson of...

No they aren't. Ford motors are still very competitive in Pro Stock, I think you are thinking about Top Fuel, which is dominated by the Keith Black HEMI.

Pro Stock Mountain Motor is my favourite class, and has a wide variety of cars with engines from all three makers and has been dominated by Ford for quite a while now.

This is the Pro Stock Mountain Motor engine (Kaase variant):
815fordhemi.jpg

And this is Ford's new Top Fuel engine:
medium_1804868711_078a14e415_o.jpg

The bottom one looks like a Hemi to me. If these engins are so good why dont you see them in Pro Stock/Funny or top fuel in the NHRA. It seems to me that if you are a pro and have factory backing NHRA is the way to go....

The bottom one looks like a Hemi to me. If these engins are so good why dont you see them in Pro Stock/Funny or top fuel in the NHRA. It seems to me that if you are a pro and have factory backing NHRA is the way to go....

Top Fuel's requirements are such that only the Keith Black HEMI engines "fit" within the constraints.

The Ford engine in the bottom picture is all new, but of course has to fit within the confines that the KB engine does, and so that is why it looks a lot like it. They have a lot in common out of necessity, not because Ford wanted it to look that way.

You will start seeing that engine being run by John Force's team quite shortly, if they aren't using it already.

BTW, the top engine makes over 2,000HP on motor (C16), and runs 6.3x's in the Purvis Ford Shelby body. They work VERY well. But again, there are only certain classes where that type of engine can be run.

NHRA does not have a Mountain Motor class, which is why you won't see that engine there.

Jon Kaase does build Ford engines for a number of other classes though, so they ARE out there.

When I have gone to TMP to watch IHRA events (we don't have NHRA in Ontario, but there are cars that run in both) I always get a chuckle as to how certain racing classes seem to be dominated by a certain engine brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember back in the late 60s and early 70s the Ford 427 cammer was run in some top fuel and funny cars. It was a good engine for ford. I grew up a Mopar fan and a Hemi Fan. I think that Connie Kalita once had a top fuel with the cammer motor in it. I remember seing it once at Thompson Drag Raceway northeast of Cleveland Ohio. He was in a match race with the frieght train...a twin engine chevy dragster..

I remember back in the late 60s and early 70s the Ford 427 cammer was run in some top fuel and funny cars. It was a good engine for ford. I grew up a Mopar fan and a Hemi Fan. I think that Connie Kalita once had a top fuel with the cammer motor in it. I remember seing it once at Thompson Drag Raceway northeast of Cleveland Ohio. He was in a match race with the frieght train...a twin engine chevy dragster..

Yes, the Cammer was quite competitive until I believe a rules change and the lack of support from Ford basically doomed it.

The top engine in the pictures I posted is a BOSS 429. Block is a tall-deck marine 429/460, heads are the 80's 429 "A" heads, worked by Kaase.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that look familar. Back in Cleveland in the early 70s a friend of mine had a Boss 429 in a mustang...just like the Hemi it was an impressive engine just to look at....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back