NASCAR V8 vs Formula 1 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
F1 engines also have turbos

Holy 1970s, Batman!

F1 has been naturally aspirated for a long time.
wink.gif

OHC engines have the potential of much higher rpm potential because of the lighter valve train. That is not necessarily better ,I like ohv for passenger car use as it makes a more compact package.

I think that is a tricky statement to make all encompassing. In fact, I would say more times then not a Pushrod engine is much much more compact than an OHC engine(take the Ford mod motors compared to the GenIII/IV stuff from GM). Maybe I read you wrong as you also mentioned OHV(Overhead Valve) which I would say 100% of production engines have been for a long time now. By saying OHV did you mean only Pushrod engines? If so we may in fact be agreeing here.

Originally Posted By: 67Chevelle
OHC engines have the potential of much higher rpm potential because of the lighter valve train. That is not necessarily better ,I like ohv for passenger car use as it makes a more compact package.

I think that is a tricky statement to make all encompassing. In fact, I would say more times then not a Pushrod engine is much much more compact than an OHC engine(take the Ford mod motors compared to the GenIII/IV stuff from GM). Maybe I read you wrong as you also mentioned OHV(Overhead Valve) which I would say 100% of production engines have been for a long time now. By saying OHV did you mean only Pushrod engines? If so we may in fact be agreeing here.

You guys are agreeing there; OHV is pushrod.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Holy 1970s, Batman!

wink.gif

Which cars that look like the F1 cars that have turbos?

I think there are a few kinds of open-wheel race cars that are turbo, but I don't know any off the top of my head.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Holy 1970s, Batman!

wink.gif

Which cars that look like the F1 cars that have turbos?

champ car had turbos.

Operative word being HAD. I can't think of any present day open wheel series that uses turbos, major or otherwise.

F1 engines also have turbos who missed that. Turbo a big V8 and then the numbers would look different.

Back in the turbo era, it was over 1,000hp from a 1.5 litre engine.

They've been NA for decades, with progressively smaller engines.

The BMW quali engine was reported to put out 1500 HP, built only to last a lap or two with vile, smelling fuel cocktails. 1000 HP/l !!!

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Since HP and Torgue always are the same at 5250RPM the engine that makes the best low RPM power is the better engine.

A larger cubic inch engine tends to make more torque lower in the RPM range than a small engine. The larger the torque the larger the HP at 5250 rpm. Sure you can wind an engine to 20,000 RPM and get horsepower but it will be a torqueless wonder down lower in the rpm range.

Last edited:
Since HP and Torgue always are the same at 5250RPM the engine that makes the best low RPM power is the better engine.

A larger cubic inch engine tends to make more torque lower in the RPM range than a small engine. The larger the torque the larger the HP at 5250 rpm. Sure you can wind an engine to 20,000 RPM and get horsepower but it will be a torqueless wonder down lower in the rpm range.

That's what gears are for.

That's a moot point as current technical regulations limit engine size in a F1 car to 2.4L and engine speed to 18,000 rpm.

Yes, but it can also weigh a LOT less.

And it will put less load on some parts of the transmission, which means the transmission can weigh less, too.

Pretty sure push-rod engines offer a more compact package.

None of this surprises me in the slightest. I guess I don't understand why it would. Two engines designed to run at the limits of physics. Imagine what the Cup engine could do with a more open envelope?

I guess I am more amazed that the 2.4L can put out the HP it is capable of. IMHO this goes against the argument "no replacement for displacement". Bah, if that were the case, the big boy would be putting out more than double if it were a case of displacement alone.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard

Pretty sure push-rod engines offer a more compact package.

None of this surprises me in the slightest. I guess I don't understand why it would. Two engines designed to run at the limits of physics. Imagine what the Cup engine could do with a more open envelope?

I guess I am more amazed that the 2.4L can put out the HP it is capable of. IMHO this goes against the argument "no replacement for displacement". Bah, if that were the case, the big boy would be putting out more than double if it were a case of displacement alone.

There is no replacement for cubic dollars
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

My cam grinder's latest project:
BigRedHeads.jpg

What is that? Appears to be of the Cleveland persuasion.
Ahh, those were the days..
20.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

My cam grinder's latest project:
BigRedHeads.jpg

What is that? Appears to be of the Cleveland persuasion.
Ahh, those were the days..
20.gif

That is Jay Allen, of Camshaft Innovations little "treasure".

Those are ORIGINAL BOSS 302 heads (C302B), HEAVILY ported and flow in excess of 400CFM. They sit quite nicely atop the 367ci, Ford R302 block.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,14115.0.html

That's the thread about the build.

Car is expected to go 7's on motor.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
..........Back in the turbo era, it was over 1,000hp from a 1.5 litre engine............

Do you know what the torque output was, back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back