NASCAR to start 2022 season at the LA Coliseum 1/4 mile track with Cup Clash race.

And, NASCAR continues it’s downward spiral.
1631745901578.jpg

****ed if they do, ****ed if they don't. "Why aren't they driving 40 year old cars at North Wilkesboro like the used to?"
I believe that over the past year, NASCAR has done more for the sport than the past 20 years.

Restrictor plates were the beginning of the Spiral. :(
I'm not trying to insult you personally-this is a fairly common thought amongst casual fans. The cars need to be restricted in some way, shape or form at Daytona and Talladega. Lap speeds of 230MPH+ could be obtained (and were in testing) without restriction(s). Racing at those speeds would be VERY dangerous for the drivers and anyone else at the track-fans included.

I find it hard to believe that this could be worth watching at all. The cars will be so overpowered for a quarter mile track, and with the power NASCAR cars have, this will just be a gigantic drift exhibition. Plus how good can a temporary track laid over an athletic field be? Temporary asphalt? What will the banking be? What could the top speed be? Here on Long Island, at Long Island's only NASCAR track (at one point in history we had multiple small ring tracks,) at Riverhead Raceway, a quarter mile track, the lap record is 78 miles per hour. It's like watching a parking lot except for the exhaust roar. At Martinsville, which is twice as long as what they plan to construct, the top speed is roughly 100 mph. What's next Demolition Derbies?

NASCAR (The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing) should be renamed. These are no longer production cars that anyone can buy, install a roll cage, mount racing tires and bring to the track and attempt to qualify. Who knows what's under the hoods anymore. No Ford 427's, no 426 hemi's or Boss 429's, or 409's. Don't get me wrong, I'll watch from time to time but it's no longer he same.

I was disappointed to hear "temporary asphalt" Interested to see how they will construct this. I was hoping for a board track. That would have been different. And a page from the past. Or at least dirt. Motorcycle barrel racing comes to mind now. Fun to watch for a few minutes. Not a NASCAR fan since they went to GWC, stages and the playoff's. But I do watch on a rare occasion. Like Road America, or the Glen.

At first I didn't even believe the USA Today story. But it seems to be true. I see that it's called an "exhibition race". What does that mean? It's one thing to think they're going to pave a track inside the Coliseum, but guard rails and catch fencing? I doubt it. This "race" will be a procession of cars loping around in 1st and 2nd gear, blipping the throttle and making noise. They won't be racing. No way. They are using this "race" as a meet and greet to attract fans to real race tracks.

Scott

Last edited:
From the NASCAR website, info on the track construction: quote

The 77,500-seat venue has hosted motorsports events in the past, with both supercross and speedway motorcycle races within the stadium. Off-road trucks and rallycross events (including the X Games) have also been competed on temporary dirt courses at the Coliseum in recent years. But an impermanent paved track for big-league stock-car racing will be a first, and construction is scheduled to start on New Year’s Day in 2022.

Kennedy said series officials have considered two or three configurations for the quarter-mile bullring, with iRacing computer simulations helping to determine the track’s real-life profile. Simulated trials have taken place with 5 degrees, 2.5 degrees and no banking in the turns, he says. “You can only go so high, just because of the sight lines and the temporary construction, but we’ve played with a few different ones,” Kennedy says. “We’ll have more at a later date on that.”

At first I didn't even believe the USA Today story. But it seems to be true. I see that it's called an "exhibition race". What does that mean? It's one thing to think they're going to pave a track inside the Coliseum, but guard rails and catch fencing? I doubt it. This "race" will be a procession of cars loping around in 1st and 2nd gear, blipping the throttle and making noise. They won't be racing. No way. They are using this "race" as a meet and greet to attract fans to real race tracks.

Scott
It is a non points race, just like the All Star race but with a different qualifying metric. The Clash has been the pre-season exhibition race since 1979.

Back