NASCAR returns to single-car qualifying at all oval tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best news from NASCAR in a long time it just became a huge joke and NASCAR resisted reality for a long time that it was.

So this is an intelligent decision.
But it's an intelligent decision that needed to be made based on the fact that prior decisions made a mockery of the sport.

So there's that.....

NASCAR.......not much longer now....last gasps soon........will have to start paying networks to broadcast them is the next move......how the mighty have fallen in so few a years.....sad.

I for one liked group qualifying. I would have preferred if there was any change, they keep the group qualifying the first 2 rounds, then do single car qualifying the last round like V8 Supercars does.

Originally Posted by sloinker
NASCAR.......not much longer now....last gasps soon........will have to start paying networks to broadcast them is the next move......how the mighty have fallen in so few a years.....sad.

Yep. The France family with all their fighting ran NASCAR into the ground.

Originally Posted by thooks
Nascar needs to go back to 1994. Rules, cars, drivers

Agree 100%. No splitters....No side skirts....No bump stops....No coil bind. AND.....Front spoiler 48" wide, 6" tall "any" angle.....rear spoiler 54" wide centered on chassis, 6" height and you can change the angle as many times as you wish.

NASCAR should have never gotten away from what it was. It isn't Formula 1, Sprint cars, or any other form of racing. It was mostly a southern born and bred racing series. NASCAR has always performed best on smaller tracks, with the occasional superspeedway or road course mixed in. These 1.5 mile tracks absolutely suck! The racing is god awful. They need to loosen up the IROC type rules, get rid of the stages, the chase, etc. And stop counting wins in every series a driver has ever run in. That's bush league nonsense. Do you see MLB counting a guys minor league stats?? Absolutely not. Does anyone really put Kyle's 200 wins in the same league as the King? Of course they don't.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I for one liked group qualifying. I would have preferred if there was any change, they keep the group qualifying the first 2 rounds, then do single car qualifying the last round like V8 Supercars does.

Last edited:
After 1964, little by little the racing slowly went down hill. Now it is Matchbox Cars that are all the same, that no one can relate to and drivers that no one cares to know...

Dumb question. Never found NASCAR compelling watching, but is there any actual Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or whatever component in the cars labeled as such? Any tiny bit? Sitting watching false advertising go 'round and 'round drinking beers waiting for a crash is not my idea of a good time.

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
Dumb question. Never found NASCAR compelling watching, but is there any actual Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or whatever component in the cars labeled as such? Any tiny bit? Sitting watching false advertising go 'round and 'round drinking beers waiting for a crash is not my idea of a good time.

Unless it's changed recently, the only stock parts on any of the 3 brands are the hood, roof and truck lid. There's nothing under the hood that's stock production parts. There's a lot talk about changing the engine package around year 2021 to a production based platform, so we'll see

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor

You live in a highly regulated state. Most folks in your area of the country seem to appreciate being told exactly what they can and can't do, every waking minute of their lives.

Can you tell me a roadway in the US where one could take a car capable of running 200 MPH through a 33 degree banked curved and then slow down in record time and run it like a scalded dog for 400 miles like that?

The cars are labeled as a "Toyota", "Chevrolet" and "Ford" because the manufacturers provide enormous support ($$$$) to the teams. No, they aren't using factory engines. No, they aren't using factory transmissions or rear gears. They aren't using factory braking systems, steering wheels or infotainment systems.

If you think racing is boring, I challenge you to go to a dirt track near you that operates on Saturday night. Buy a pit pass, usually $10 more than grandstand admission. You'll get all the access you want to the teams/drivers. Watch them work on the cars. Get to know some, get familiar with what goes on and how much engineering goes into running a raggedy ole car turning left on a hillbilly dirt track. Figure out how much money it takes to do it. I promise you that you will be surprised.

The average late model dirt car running in the Super division (open) will cost between $70,000 and $125,000 to roll onto the track to take the first round of hot laps and qualifying for the night.

They are probably out there trying to win $2500 at most.... They've got $200 in entry fees among the driver and crew, probably in a $400,000 truck/trailer, $100,000 car with $100,000 in spare parts on the truck, 5 shocks on the car at $1500 each and go through 3 right rear tires that night at $200 each.

How much money is spent doesn't make the racing any more compelling, and I have been to our local dirt track where the racing is a lot more exciting and I can see how it would be fun to do. But, NASCAR is mostly just round and round and round until the inevitable crashes. Just don't see the excitement in watching that, though I know it takes a lot of skill, money, and guts to do it. Just isn't interesting to watch.

sleep.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back