NASCAR Racing on Streets of Chicago in 2023

The 12-turn, 2.2-mile street course will take NASCAR through the city with the start/finish line and pit road placed on South Columbus Drive, in the presence of the the Buckingham Fountain. The course will run through Grant Park, and will approach the northern edge of Soldier Field. The track will also run along Lake Michigan on South Lake Shore Drive.......It's understood that the Chicago street course race will replace Road America on the schedule and be run on Sunday, July 2, 2023. IMSA will join NASCAR that weekend in Chicago as a companion event.

Wonder what the speed difference will be between NASCAR and IMSA. Will be sad if a Toyota Camry can go faster than a full on race Porsche 963.

Wonder what the speed difference will be between NASCAR and IMSA. Will be sad if a Toyota Camry can go faster than a full on race Porsche 963.
I'd expect the IMSA cars to be faster because of braking power. That will be paramount at that track. But how much faster depends on what size restrictor plate NASCAR will run. Without restrictor plates those NASCAR 358ci V8s put out 1,000 horsepower. Small restrictor plates limit horsepower to about 600.

Scott

PS Speaking of restrictor plates....I had VIP access at The Clash at the LA Coliseum. I've had the pleasure of seeing races throughout the world, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans. My weekend at The Clash was as memorable as the very best. Chad Knaus could not have been more friendly. We talked for 20 minutes about suspension setups (my personal specialty). He and I were both in the process or reading Adrian Newey's book! Tony was super nice and looked suprisingly fit and buffed. Richard Childress was like your favorite uncle. And Michael was just like the guy you see on television. A truly fantastic weekend!

IMG_6116.jpeg
IMG_6117.jpeg
IMG_6048.jpeg
IMG_6059.jpeg
IMG_6073.jpeg
IMG_6086.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree. NASCAR has no place being on a street circuit. I predict a horrible follow the leader wreckfest. I do not usually watch open wheel but what I do know is that the street circuit races are boring as hell.

Don
Nascar knows how to make right turns?

Those races probably won't happen cause no one wants nascar hillbillies tearing up lake shore drive. Plus it's contingent on the mayor being reelected which won't happen since she's a big failure

I agree. NASCAR has no place being on a street circuit. I predict a horrible follow the leader wreckfest. I do not usually watch open wheel but what I do know is that the street circuit races are boring as hell.

Don
Why would you say NASCAR has no place being on a street circuit? Open wheel cars can’t even touch one another slightly without being reduced to garbage, that’s why they follow the leader around road circuits. Yes, that’s boring.
Cars such as those in NASCAR, IMSA, and the Australian Supercar series are far more forgiving when they rub each other around road courses, so it should be in the confines of a street circuit.
Everyone was griping and complaining about NASCAR not trying something different and sure enough, when they do, people gripe and complain because they’re trying something different. 😂

I heard NASCAR senior vice president Ben Kennedy cry, oh how he prayed the night NASCAR died, brother what a place it really was, brother what a race it really was.......

Just watched the "Blues Brothers" clip (post #12). The cops really wanted those guys!

Seriously, they could've made a TV special on how they disposed of all those prop cars.

Back