Nascar Questions

Why don't they let drivers practice anymore?
How can Larson be so much faster than everyone this year? No one can even keep up with him.
Why are the Toyotas lack speed this year? They can't keep a lead.

The teams asked for no practice and qualifying at the majority of races this season. If there were practice adn qualifying they would have to bring a backup car, so this saves the teams money. They started it last year during the COVID restrictions.

Hendrick has made a marked improvement this year having Chad Knaus move to a role overseeing all 4 cars. Kyle's CC Cliff Daniels was the engineer on the 48 car under Knaus.

The Toyotas have speed, just not today.

The Fords, and especially the SHR cars, lost a significant amount of downforce this year because of a rules clarification involving how the rear wheel well openings were measured.

Kyle Larson is finally in top tier equipment. He also has learned to keep calm during races and finish them out.

Thanks. I didn't know all that. Except for Hamlin in a couple of races, the Toyotas haven't had speed to keep a lead all year. It gets boring with Larsen in front all the time....like it used to be with JJ.

Why don't they let drivers practice anymore?
How can Larson be so much faster than everyone this year? No one can even keep up with him.
Why are the Toyotas lack speed this year? They can't keep a lead.
Big part I believe this car is done it won’t ever run again why spend R&D money on something that won’t ever run again.

I saw an interview with Logano who has driven the new car. He said the only thing that is the same is the steering wheel. He said everything about it is different an it’s going to be a real challenge.

I saw an interview with Logano who has driven the new car. He said the only thing that is the same is the steering wheel. He said everything about it is different an it’s going to be a real challenge.
Yes, it is completely different. Platform wise it is closer to a V8 Supercar or an IMSA GT-D car. They had a 2 day test last week at the Charlotte Roval. From what I was reading the biggest issues are driver heat (they get a lot hotter inside) and issues with the steering racks. But setup wise it is completely different. The dampers are coilovers with an IRS, and rear mounted transaxle. They are also switching to an 18" wheel with a centerlock nut. It also uses a rear camera setup similar to the Bosch system on the Corvette C6R/C7R/C8R. I will try to dig up some pictures when I am not at work

Correct. The current cars are not scheduled to be used next year, unless the upcoming dirt test does not pan out. It is still up in the air what components of the current car will be legal in Xfinity or ARCA.
In a purely selfish opinion, I hope they are just different enough that the chassis can't be used because I might be getting a road race chassis from one of the teams.

Yes, it is completely different. Platform wise it is closer to a V8 Supercar or an IMSA GT-D car. They had a 2 day test last week at the Charlotte Roval. From what I was reading the biggest issues are driver heat (they get a lot hotter inside) and issues with the steering racks. But setup wise it is completely different. The dampers are coilovers with an IRS, and rear mounted transaxle. They are also switching to an 18" wheel with a centerlock nut. It also uses a rear camera setup similar to the Bosch system on the Corvette C6R/C7R/C8R. I will try to dig up some pictures when I am not at work
That’s where he drove it. He’s one of the test drivers. Also independent rear suspension which he said was really different for the better. They have been having so many problems with lug nuts this year, the center lug should help that.

It will be interesting to see how well the new design does in crash damage. I dont see the new design being as sturdy as the old, a brush to the wall might end your day.

It will be interesting to see how well the new design does in crash damage. I dont see the new design being as sturdy as the old, a brush to the wall might end your day.
On the contrary, the new bodies will be better than the current ones. They are the same material as the Xfinity bodies and will come from Five Star. So many times the Xfinity cars will hit the wall and not have damage that causes the tires to go down like in Cup.

Also the new car will have bolt on front and rear clips so a backup car will not be necessary. They can theoretically change a clip on site.

Another thought on the centerlock nut config on the wheel....

Do you think they'll be able to get down to a 10 second pit stop with 4 tires changed??? They might just be waiting on fuel much of the time.

Another thought is that the tire guy won't be gluing lug nuts to the wheels all day long anymore. I wonder how much a team spends on weatherstrip sealant during the course of a season?

Another thought on the centerlock nut config on the wheel....

Do you think they'll be able to get down to a 10 second pit stop with 4 tires changed??? They might just be waiting on fuel much of the time.

Another thought is that the tire guy won't be gluing lug nuts to the wheels all day long anymore. I wonder how much a team spends on weatherstrip sealant during the course of a season?
Supposedly NASCAR will slow down the fuel fill to try and keep the stops around where they are now. Also the pit guns from Paoli will be slowed down a bit.

On the contrary, the new bodies will be better than the current ones. They are the same material as the Xfinity bodies and will come from Five Star. So many times the Xfinity cars will hit the wall and not have damage that causes the tires to go down like in Cup.

Also the new car will have bolt on front and rear clips so a backup car will not be necessary. They can theoretically change a clip on site.
My point was geared more towards the running gear, wheels, steering, axles etc. I am aware of the differences between Xfinity and current/future cup cars. Although the clips will be replaceable I doubt even the best crews would be able to replace them and still make the damaged vehicle clock ;)

My point was geared more towards the running gear, wheels, steering, axles etc. I am aware of the differences between Xfinity and current/future cup cars. Although the clips will be replaceable I doubt even the best crews would be able to replace them and still make the damaged vehicle clock ;)
Haha true. I think they were gearing it more towards binning the car in practice.

There was one of the suspension parts, I think the rear toe link, that will be the sacrificial lamb so to speak.

Back