NASCAR Lubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been talked about before, but do many of the NASCAR drivers use oils from various brands such as the big ExxonMobil/Texaco/Pennzoil companies? And are they specialized formulas?
I think Rusty Wallace uses Mobil 1 0w-20 in his 190mph Car.
lol.gif

No one but the guys in the shops would know. If you watch the commercial they do for some of the oil companies they carefully word everything so you don't know for sure one way or the other.

Back in the dark ages, most of them ran special formulations made by the oil sponsor--I don't think any of them ran off-the-shelf stuff.

Based on gut feelings, and what little I've picked up in casual conversations with guys who have been associated with the business, I suspect that is probably still pretty much true. There are, if you can imagine it, some who are alleged to run oils (even off the shelf) other than those which are featured on the decals on the car!!!

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
There are, if you can imagine it, some who are alleged to run oils (even off the shelf) other than those which are featured on the decals on the car!!!

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I asked my father-in-law this same question. He is a NASCAR over the wall and inspection official. He said that when walking through the garage area there are cases of Pennzoil for the Pennzoil car, Halvoline for the Halvoline car, etc,etc.

They may not be using the stuff, but he said they pour oil in a Pennzoil bottle (for example) in the Pennzoil car. He couldnt remember what weight, but said he would try to remember to find out one race.

I've mentioned this before but the choice of oils is usually decided by the engine builder and may or may not be influenced by oil sponsors/providers.

If a top NASCAR team is sponsored by an oil company (primary or other sponsor) you can bet they'll use their sponsors oil. Why not, they get it for free!!

Do the oil mfr's create a special batch of oils for their NASCAR teams? My guess is "probably". This is a pretty tightly held secret between the engine shop and the oil mfr. If the engine builder feels the off-the-shelf product is good enough, I'm sure he'll use it. If not, I'm sure the oil mfr's would happily whip up a batch of their Secret Sauce. Seeing as there is so much pressure on engine builders to squeeze more HP, more fuel mileage, and better durability, I'm thinking that a special motor oil could certainly help.

What viscosities? Likely a 0W-5 or 0W-10 for qualifying and more like a 20W-40 or 20W-50 for the race, depending on track, race length, weather, etc. Could be anything, though. Those viscosities are plausible guesses.

Shell signed on to sponsor a NASCAR team (I can't remember which one) earlier this year using the Rotella name brand. They stated in the press release that they would be working closely with the engine builder to develop lubricants for the engine. That would seem to indicate that they won't be pouring in OTC Rotella at the races.
dunno.gif

I question the qualifying oil weight now. Before they basically ran a 0W for qualifying. They ran qualifying and dropped a new motor in. NOW, with the single engine rule they must run the same motor the entire weekend or go to the back. They gotta run something a little thicker now with qualifying, friday practice, saturday practice, happy hour and race. These motors will generally run upwards of 700 miles a weekend now (Taledega for example.)

Ive read on many occations that many rally teams such as Subaru Technica Int use Motul 300V as is from the shelf. Ditto with other Endurance Races, independant of Motuls claims (the claim it naturally). Also I've read (only one instance tho) that here in Australia, the majority of V8 Supercars use Redline Racing Oil..

quote:

AMSOIL does have a presence in
NASCAR, but we aren't a sponsor of a team or NASCAR. That works against us.
We have looked into many different avenues of involvement and spoken
with several teams. When the right opportunity comes up we will move
ahead. I suspect we'll be in NASCAR more sooner than later.
Thanks ~
John Schuldt
Racing Manager

How does this work against them?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I think Rusty Wallace uses Mobil 1 0w-20 in his 190mph Car.
lol.gif

I don't know what point you're trying to make, but frankly, I don't car what lubes NASCAR uses!

When I start street racing every second of every day and completely re-building my daily-driver engine every 500 miles, then I'll care.

Just because an oil is used in racing applications such as this doesn't mean it makes a great oil for on-road applications....

I cannot say for sure about NASCAR, but I had a pit pass at Lime Rock a few years ago as a team mechanic assistant (more for my de-bugging abilities based on knowledge, experience, and old age), and saw a Valvoline sponsored car with the mech adding Red Line.

I heard from a reliable source that Rusty Wallace uses Lubrication Engineers' LE-607 90w GL-5 gear oil in the pumpkin.

I'm sure quite a few use Redline in NASCAR. It's formula is ideal for racing. Redline's website even states don't be fooled by the sponsor on the car.

quote:

I don't car what lubes NASCAR uses!

My car now is a piece, but my next one will be very nice and over the last year until now, I've been narrowing down/following/testing and researching what oils do well in high performance/extended drain service. I'm hoping to get a C5/C6 in the next few years and I would have no problem putting what NASCAR uses in that car.
wink.gif
And as I understand it, Mobil 1 R, Redline and other special oils are found in those engines. 500 laps of 8-9k rpms with 800hp engines is a nice testament of how durable these oils are. That is why Mobil 1 R should be considered by many who race, regardless of how thin it is. Sump capacities are much higher and oil coolers are present but I'm sure these engine builders strive for the lowest engine wear possible.

[ April 16, 2004, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

buster, when I bought some Amsoil products a long time ago, there was some literature included that suggested that 75% of Nascar cars use Amsoil. I can't remember exactly how it was worded and of course I long since have thrown that paperwork away. But that was the impression I got.

Judging from what you found out it looks like Amsoil is trying to get into Nascar racing.

It is impossible to say what is really in Nascar cars. In the past I think there was a good possibility that oils like Redline and Torco were in at least some of the cars.

With all of the money involved in racing I think there is a good possibility that oil companies are putting specially blended oil in the engines in the race cars. The oil might come out of a Pennzoil container or Castrol container or whatever, but the oil is probably specially blended. That is my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back