NASCAR JOINS the 21st CENTURY

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, four things have greatly contributed to NASCAR's lower fan interest...
1. The Car of Tomorrow. Stock cars are no-longer STOCK cars and fans don't personally identify with them. The old adage "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" no-longer applies.
2. Too many Saturday night races and race starting times being all over the map.
3. The selling of TV rights to FOX and NBC who have put most, but not all, of the races on FS1 and NBCSN.
Between #2 and #3 above, even die hard NASCAR fans are having a hard time actually finding the races on TV. Cable cutters (many blue-collar fans) have been left out.
4. The excessively high ticket prices (and other charges like parking) to attend the races in-person, the requirement to purchase season tickets to get the better seats, and (especially) the introduction of PSL seats at all of the tracks (a kick in the head to NASCAR's largely blue-collar fans).
I disagree that the new format is the cause. I actually like the 3 races within a race format, which is kind of like the heat races in local stock car racing. It makes the drivers more competitive throughout the entire race and brings the team/pit strategy more into the race. I also like the playoff/elimination format, it keeps one driver/team from running away with the championship when the season is still far from over.

At least the bow tie and blue oval cars are actually V8/RWD models now. Step in the right direction. Still looking for a V8/RWD Camry on a lot...

Much as I don't care for 1 competitor dominating any sport it should be up to the other competitors to step it up, not the sanctioning body to equalize everybody with rules.

Many of today's NASCAR critics want to go back to the way they think things were "in the good old days". Thomas Wolf said "You can never go home" and that's true here as well.

The American Car Culture ® has come and gone. The youth have moved on to video games, and the old fogies have moved on to complaining. (which is what old fogies do!).

NASCAR has tried to deal with the cheating and to get a more appealing show. They've had some successes and some failures - but they've not been alone. (witness F1's Ferrari engine controversy!)

One of the lessons has been about single tire suppliers. Almost no series allows competitors a choice - and that includes tire size.

I welcome the change as I welcome the change in F1's tires, But in the big scheme of things, it hardly matters. What matters is if the racing is exciting. It currently is.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
The only thing entertaining about NASCAR is the occasional fist fight.

Kinda like I went to a football game and a hockey game broke out !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back