Narrowed X5 Tires down to these 2. Need advice.

Current: '15 X5 xDrive35i, 255/55/18, Ohio weather, light snow, spirited driving, going to non-RFT. Looking at these 2:

Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus II
Conti DWS06

Any definite yes/no/advice? Appreciate it.

The Pirelli is a SUV specific tire. I've had good results with the previous version of this tire but found the sidewalls to be on the soft side.

DWS's will probably deliver a better driving experience but at the expense of shorter treadlife.

Had the DWS06 predecessors on wife's C300 4Matic, and their winter/snow performance was marginal at best. Then again, we get quite a bit of snow here in Michigan.

If you like spirited driving, you owe it to yourself to get dedicated summer tires and dedicated winter tires, IMO.

Flip the coin. Both are on performance side. In my vocabulary no all season tire is worthy of snow driving, but flip the coin which one is better.
I trust more Continental when it comes to consistency, so, to make your decision easier, go DWS06.

I've had a couple different sets of pirelli tires and somehow had trouble keeping them balanced. I have experienced great wear with both pirelli and continental.
Although we don't get a great deal of snow at any one time the pirelli seemed to do a bit better than the continentals.

I have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S (not Plus II) on my 2019 Grand Cherokee as an OE tire.
The Jeep rides well, is very smooth. We had an early snowfall on Monday. Roads were slushy and slick on the drive to work.
No issues whatsoever with traction.
I would put the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus II on a very short list when it comes time to replace my OE tires.

Appreciate everyones responses. Guess I have to flip a coin on this one. Price is about same. I think its going to come down to what The Critic said above - DWS's will probably deliver a better driving experience but at the expense of shorter treadlife.

My experiences with Pirelli have been disappointing. Had a set of P6 Plus on my suv and they were noisy and I suspect one had a broken tread. My son has the OEM Pirellis on his '18 Explorer and they are pretty used up at 25K.

Unless you are dead set on the Contis or Pirellis look into either the General Altimax rt43 (made by Continental) or Cooper Ultra Touring. I have a set of both and am pleased with both brands.

Not dead set on anything but was trying to narrow it down as they were the most suggested. Thought this was going to be much easier! The RT43 doesn't fit. I'll check out the Cooper though and appreciate the suggestion. The only other ones I was looking at were the Michelin CrossClimate.

Flip the coin. Both are on performance side. In my vocabulary no all season tire is worthy of snow driving, but flip the coin which one is better.
I trust more Continental when it comes to consistency, so, to make your decision easier, go DWS06.
No it's not. The Pirelli's are a touring tire, more geared to quiet and comfy ride than lateral grip.

My mother is on her second set of DWS 06 tires. She drives a Lincoln MKC and was happy the winter performance, tread life, and noise. She got around 50,000 miles on the DWS 06 tires and never complained about them. The OE Michelin’s were noisy at the end of their life.

Back