NapaGold 1356 vs Honda A02 vs Honda A01 (cut open)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After nearly a year and a half I finally have a set of the three oil filters I've wanted to cut open and compare. Each of these ran 1 ~6000 mile OCI on my 07 Civic (1.8L).

Napa Gold
0124001602.jpg

Honda A02 (Honeywell)
0124001603.jpg

Honda A01 (Filtech)
0124001602a.jpg

My observations are as follows:
- All three use silicone ADBVs.

- All three have metal lining the inside diameter of the media.

- The Honda filters have circular cross-section gaskets while the Napa Gold has a rectangular cross-section gasket.

- Both Honda filters have "rear mounted" bypass valves, although the valves are constructed differently. The A01 has a metal bypass valve while the A02 has a plastic one.

- Both Honda filters have paper/cardboard style endcaps, but again they are different in design: the A02 has fully covered ends while the A01 has endcaps that only cover half the pleat radius.

- The Napa Gold/Wix has metal endcaps, with a fully closed back-end and "front mounted" bypass valve. A separate spring fits between the back endcap and the end of the can (the springs on the Honda filters are integrated with the bypass valve assembly).

- The filter media on the Napa Gold/Wix is slightly shorter than the two Honda filters (which are the same length). The pleat density looks the same to my eye.

- The A01 can material is incredibly thick and strong. I basically destroyed my filter cutter trying to cut it open, and was literally only able to dent the side of the can. I had to hack-saw the top off instead. I can barely flex the open end of the A01 can with my hand while I can easily bend the other two.

Conclusions:
21.gif
I don't really know much about oil filters, I was just curious how these three compared to each other. Here are the thoughts I come away with:

- The A01 and A02 filters are similar enough that it's probably not worth going out of the way to get A01s instead of A02s.

- For the same price, I suppose I'm still inclined to run Honda filters given they are made to Honda's specs (bypass pressure, flow rate, etc), unless I can be convinced that the metal endcap construction and front bypass valve of the Wix are practically superior.

- I'm still not sure whether I think it's a good idea to run the filter for two OCIs (12k miles) per Honda's recommendation but I now feel that all of these three filters probably have the same chance of standing up to such service.

Anyone have any questions or want any detail pictures before I get rid of the filters? I hope this post is useful or informative to someone!

Thanks for posting!
All of these should be fine.
Wix is a good filter, and if they spec it, I wouldn't worry about the engineered rating mis matching the engine's needs.

Nice pics.

Looking at them, I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase either of the Honda filters. The A-02 is basically a Fram Tough Guard without the screen on the bypass, and perhaps more media, perhaps not. The A-01 with semi/half/no endcap design seems preferable to some over the Honeywell/Fram A-02.
21.gif
Though they will get the job done, to me neither is worth what Honda charges for them.

The NapaGold (Wix) looks like a quality well made filter and of the three, price being the same, it would easily be my choice. As river rat said, I wouldn't be concerned about aligning with some Honda oil filter spec. The Napa base/thread end bypass is just a bonus, though I don't attach any significant difference to base/dome end bypass location.

I'm currently running a Pure One to 5-10% OLM or more likely one year, on a 3.0L Accord. Also thinking there's not much cost benefit to running it for Honda's recommended two OCI's.

Thanks for posting pics.

Thanks for the pics and write up. I use Honda filters on both of my Elements. Both of those Honda filters will filter every bit as well as the NAPA or any other filter out there. What I like about the Honda filters and as for as that goes the OEM Toyota filters, is the o-ring type gasket/seal. Far less chance of a gasket leak of any kind or having a gasket stick to the engine mounting area.

How much you guys pay for your Honda filters? I don't find them any more unreasonable than other top end filters, i.e., WIX or NAPA Gold.

You can get them online for $6 or so plus shipping (at collegehillshhonda.com) but I think they're kind of pricey at the dealership.

Johnny: Do you run the filters for one or two OCIs?

True, under $5 if you buy 6 @ $29.12, then add the cheapest ground shipping to me of $12.66 comes to ~$7 each for 6.

Local Honda dealer wants $7.40 plus tax for the Fram Tough Guard clone A-02.
whistle.gif

I can get a better made, 99.9% efficient Pure One PL14610 at Kmart or Advance Auto for less everyday. With sales or Amazon P1 everyday price $9.48 for 2, by six get free shipping. Or, buy something else to make it $25 for free shipping. Less than $4.75 each for a P1.

Not even a close choice for me. But, that's just me.

Originally Posted By: rationull
- The A01 can material is incredibly thick and strong. I basically destroyed my filter cutter trying to cut it open, and was literally only able to dent the side of the can. I had to hack-saw the top off instead. I can barely flex the open end of the A01 can with my hand while I can easily bend the other two.

That is interesting, I have always found thicker cans easier to cut open as they do not bend when you are trying to cut them. They take longer to cut open but they stay nice and round.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
True, under $5 if you buy 6 @ $29.12, then add the cheapest ground shipping to me of $12.66 comes to ~$7 each for 6.

whistle.gif

I can get a better made, 99.9% efficient Pure One PL14610 at Kmart or Advance Auto for less everyday. With sales or Amazon P1 everyday price $9.48 for 2, by six get free shipping. Or, buy something else to make it $25 for free shipping. Less than $4.75 each for a P1.

Isn't the PL14610 99.9% efficient at 40 microns, instead of most at 20?

Originally Posted By: bigmike

still more efficient than anything else on the market

Originally Posted By: rationull
You can get them online for $6 or so plus shipping (at collegehillshhonda.com) but I think they're kind of pricey at the dealership.

Johnny: Do you run the filters for one or two OCIs?

I run the filter for 1-10K oil change. When I was doing 5K oil changes I was changing the filter at every change. Makes no sense to me to not change the filter when the oil is changed.

To each his own on filter choices. I can walk in to my local Honda dealer and he charges me $5.49 for the filter and that includes the 5.5% WI sales tax. I'm very satisfied with the performance of the Honda filters. At least I know where to go if something happens to that filter. Good luck with the filters at a discount store if it should have a defect.

whistle.gif

Correct.

Originally Posted By: labman
Back and front end is as bad as top and bottom. Can we stick to thread end and dome end?

Yeah I know, sorry. The normal terms slipped my mind when I was posting for whatever reason.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

That is interesting, I have always found thicker cans easier to cut open as they do not bend when you are trying to cut them. They take longer to cut open but they stay nice and round.

It's possible my filter cutter blade was dulling -- it's just a cheap Summit Racing tool. I reached a point where I couldn't screw the blade in any further, so I tried grabbing the knob with channel locks. After making a little more progress, the channel lock grips broke the knob off, so I moved on to vise grips. I made a little more progress but reached a point where I didn't have enough leverage to go any further. I think it even started to screw up the threads on the shaft that pushes the blade.

When I backed off, all I had was a dented can and a scraped up filter cutter with no knob and smashed knob threads from the vise grips. If the thing couldn't cut the filter, I don't need it anymore anyway.

The thing worked just fine on several Napa Gold filters, which themselves have fairly thick cans. But the A01 can was even thicker.

whistle.gif

If Fram fits in category of "most", all their efficiency specs say is > 20 microns. That could be 40, 50, 60 etc. Who knows, what it is?
21.gif
I call that more than fairly vague.
whistle.gif
If ThirdYe says the P1 is @ 40u, no reason to doubt it, and I'm sure SuperBusa would also know because he uses P1's and has emailed Puro regarding the rating(s). Some of the P1's are at 20u. At least it's a specific level, not some nebulous value like Fram.

I don't think I've seen a published efficiency rating for the Honda A-02 or A-01. Just speculating here, but I seriously doubt it is better than the P1. However, if someone can find me a better constructed, higher efficiency filter than a P1 for < $4.75 everyday, I'd be happy to look at it.

I'd also have not problem buying Pure Ones at the discount store, it's still a Purolator product no matter where it's sold. Not too proud to get the most for my money.

That said, if buying from the dealer gives one a warm fuzzy feeling, I guess that's worth something.

whistle.gif

If Fram fits in category of "most", all their efficiency specs say is > 20 microns. That could be 40, 50, 60 etc. Who knows, what it is?
21.gif
I call that more than fairly vague.
whistle.gif
If ThirdYe says the P1 is @ 40u, no reason to doubt it, and I'm sure SuperBusa would also know because he uses P1's and has emailed Puro regarding the rating(s). Some of the P1's are at 20u. At least it's a specific level, not some nebulous value like Fram.

I don't think I've seen a published efficiency rating for the Honda A-02 or A-01. Just speculating here, but I seriously doubt it is better than the P1. However, if someone can find me a better constructed, higher efficiency filter than a P1 for < $4.75 everyday, I'd be happy to look at it.

I'd also have not problem buying Pure Ones at the discount store, it's still a Purolator product no matter where it's sold. Not too proud to get the most for my money.

That said, if buying from the dealer gives one a warm fuzzy feeling, I guess that's worth something.

I mean most as "most PureOnes." Sorry for the confusion.

I think you're on some sort of a rant here, so I'll ignore the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back