NAPA SlyGlide problems ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used it to lube the rear wheels of the lawn mower couple of weeks ago. Today the wheels were binding. When I opened it us, the grease had become black and was no longer had any lubrication left. After cleaning the whole mess off with brake cleaner, wheel started moving freely again. The manual says to use grease and I thought SliGlyde would be the right thing to do.

- Vikas

I find that odd. SilGlyde can handle heat and moisture. What else could be there? The brake areas it lubes don't really move a lot, as in RPM wise. I guess I would use a chassis and wheel bearing grease.

I have used SilGlyde on other stuff than brakes, just because its handy. But more for coating bolts or similar stuff.

Last edited:
Calipers are a sealed system in that the grease stays fairly clean.

Is that true of your lawnmower?

I should have used wheel bearing grease but the only grease I had lying around was SilGlyde or SuperLube. I wonder if SuperLube had done a better job.

- Vikas

Metal to metal; actual gears. I just bought the service manual which shows to use grease although it does not mention specific type.

Silicone grease/oil should not be used on metal/metal contacts as it doesn't keep it's viscosity well.

Definitely get some good oil based EP grease in there before using it again.

I use Silcone based grease for rubber type stuff not for HD metal type stuff. Any wheel bearing type lube I'm sure would work fine thats whey they don't specify just ASSUME people would use wheel brg chassis type universal grease.

Aaaarrrrrrrrgggggggg

I can not see any EP grease in a tube; everything comes in cartridge :-( That means I will have to buy a grease gun.

How about white lithium in the spray can? Would that do or I really should get gun or find EP grease in a tub.

thanks

Just get a cartridge, pop the plastic cap off, and scoop it out....finger, knife, screwdriver, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back