NAPA ProSelect 21521

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a project car I recently picked up -- turbocharged four-cylinder. Significant oil coking present.

Filter media looks great, with no tears evident.

IehB1GC.jpg

sXB6nAo.jpg

2tSZXmN.jpg

t0N2R1X.jpg

OW8scwQ.jpg

Lot of crud in that filter. I bet the oil was jet black. Any idea how many miles on the oil & filter?

Napa is wix and wix makes great filters they are not cheap if they were the same price as tearolator they would outsell them even when purolator was good.

While not a definitive view of the bypass, this NPS looks to use Wix's traditional metal spring thread end bypass, and not a combo valve. Interesting. Still wonder how that choice is decided.

Agree it looks kinda nasty inside. Based on that I'd be thinking of shortening up the oci.

Thanks for the pics.

No idea how many miles -- this is what was on there when I got it.

As for the "crud" accumulation, what you're looking at isn't from a malfunctioning intake, but actual coking. In other words, the oil has literally turned to granular carbon.

Could some of that crud not also be from the cutting process used to open up the filter?

Judging by the pics, he used tin snips.

Ive always been curious to see what coking looks like. Lol.

Tubos can definitely be hard on oil, especially if there isn't a very good oil cooler on the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: nobb
Could some of that crud not also be from the cutting process used to open up the filter?

Dlundblad is correct. Snips were used as to eliminate any debris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back