NAPA Pro Select

Status
Not open for further replies.
Napa does pick some good stuff to call their own, so I wouldn't be surprise.
35.gif
I will wait to see from our experts!

I use ProSelect air and oil filters in my truck and my girlfriend's car. As far as I am concerned they are the very best filter in their price range. They are made by Wix with very solid high quality construction. They have a very good balance of flow and filtration. I don't run them past 3,000 miles, but I follow a very strict 3,000 mile OCI in both cars anyway. I can not see spending 9 or 10 bucks on an oil filter. ProSelect air filters are also made by Wix and they perform just as well as Purolator and cost the same or less.

Wix makes the ProSelect filters to Napa's specs. Napa won't put its good name on an inferior product. If you ask me, I think ProSelect oil filters are much better than Purolator Premium now. I read that Purolator has had some quality issues lately.

ProSelect replaced what used to be called a Napa Silver. I don't know who made those, but Napa doesn't sell them any more. I have heard that they were "junk" anyway.

The ProSelect is technically below a Napa Gold because of the difference in the filter media between the two and the Gold has a Silcone anti-drainback valve, which lasts longer and is more durable. In a ProSelect the ADBV is nitrile rubber. The media in the Golds is some sort of ultra fine filter media like you might find in a Purolator Pure One. I don't know the exact name or terminology for the media but others here do. It's some kind of glass-enhanced media. Other than that the Gold and ProSelect are the same.

All I know is I have no need for a silicon ADBV and the filter media works great and does a great job on a 3000 mile OCI. I have never had a single problem with any ProSelect filter I have used. They work great and are very reasonably priced. Napa Gold is an excellent filter too, it's is one of the very best oil filters you can buy. Both do a great job, just personally I can't justify spending $8.00 plus tax on an oil filter when the $3.20 ProSelect works fine in both my applications.

Jimmy, when comparing these various filter performance levels, how do you determine the differences? What makes you think the Pro Select is better than the Puralator Premium?

I used info I found here on BITOG, and I researched on the Wix website and other filter manufacturer sites. The ProSelect and PP are probably about equal in flow and filtration, but the ProSelect is built much better. Lately they cost less than Purolator too. Plus I feel very strongly about supporting local business like the Napa store in my town.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Jimmy, when comparing these various filter performance levels, how do you determine the differences? What makes you think the Pro Select is better than the Puralator Premium?

Scattered around are pictures of cut open filters of all makes and sizes. It lets you see how much media there really is compared to others.

Just picked up 2 more NASCAR Select filters from NAPA today. They have a tad bit better media than Pro Select for about a 1$ more. Great flow rates. My engines seem to start up quieter with these. These are 'mid grade" between the Gold and Pro Select.

I am using the spin flow (Nascar Select). I got some really loud knocking sound when it's over 4500 rpm (5500rpm red-line) on multiple attempts on different days. Just wondering anyone experience this? I have never experienced this, maybe the "spin- flow" reduce some oil pressure at high rpm? I hope nothing wrong with my rods.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
it could be due to gasoline (I put octane 87 in the van)... but i really don't know what cause this knocking... The key is to avoid WOT...

Why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back