NAPA platinum cut open, first for me to show pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! Yestrday, i did my 3 month oil change! and....for everyone here, for first time, i took pics! and cut open the filter and took descent pics for all:) ok..the probem is its gunna take a bit of time to get the pics listed here. its not ddowloading? witht he image icon here, but figured out i can double click the pic, get the address, copy it, and paste here. but when i copy, the entire website n screen goes back to aol, closing, so gotta go back n forth.
SO!!! Its a 1998 toyota corolla. 1.8L dual cam. I do alot of unavoidable stop n go traffic here in southwest CT. Oil was thick soot black, as with every oil change. Brand new denso dealer air fitler purchased 4 months ago. I used PEAK synthetic 10w 30. and...a napa platinum! also purchased 3-4 months ago. Thier was a TOUCH wire mesh screen other side of filter element. the media itself, was very tough, near gritty sandpaper feel. Metal endcaps. I used a large screwdriver to pry the media off, and automotive plyiers to remove the endcaps. it was VERY well constructed in my opinion. I have been cutting open filters since 2005,l joinging this site, and its knowledgible to do so! the worst filter i ever had, was a NAPA white can proselect? some 4 years ago. After 3 motnhs, about 2,700-3,200 miles (same as this oil change now for post) the media at bottom appeared to be collapsing down :x So wont be buying another one of those. I like top tier fitlers, like P1, bosh premium, mobil 1, ect...for the microninc filtering.
This oil change, i went with super tech 10w30 dino, and a bosch distnace plus, which i will be tearing open and posting pics of it for you all:) so bear with me! and enjoy all!!
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113001.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113002.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113003.jpg\
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113004.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113005.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113006.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113007.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113010.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113011.jpg

Last edited:
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113013.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113014.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113016.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113017.jpg
C:\Users\Zigmundt\Pictures\2013-09-22\041113018.jpg

Well! I hope you all can and do see them! I do appologize for not having immediate pics. I dont know how to put them here;/ thiers no option for me to do so. so please let me know what you all think! how the fitler performed, this is my little gift and feel good to all at bobistheoilguy:)

You need to upload pictures to one of the host such as photobucket.com, then download pictures using this format

xxx.jpg

Yeah, can see all pictures now. The synthetic oil filter can be used for 15-20k miles in a clean engine.

There is nothing wrong with NAPA platinum filter, but I think Fram Ultra is a better buy filter unless you can buy NAPA platinum filter when it is on sale for less than $7-8/ea.

As of now there is no oil filter better than Fram Ultra at less than $10-15, and you can buy Fram Ultra for $7-8 at Walmart and not much more at other chains.

cool! pics went through....
yeah, the guy at NAPA 4 months ago told me about waiting a week, they were gunna be on sale for $7.49, something like that. so after looking at cut opens of them here, try something new~! But even my own conclusion is, the ultras, platinums, for 3 monther..its a waist. money and not getting the full benefits of the filter itself. I narrowed it down, toot he bosch premium or purolator pure 1. 99.9% multi pass efficiey. the purolators box states at 40 microns. but it seems to me it more like 20 microns, form what ive read here, and pics a few did with talcum powder and tubes with nails in them (5-7 micron ratings). for $6.99 a filter, better than $11+ for 3 motnhs useage.

ziggy said:
Hi all! Yestrday, i did my 3 month oil change! and....for everyone here, for first time, i took pics! and cut open the filter and took descent pics for all:) ok..the probem is its gunna take a bit of time to get the pics listed here. its not ddowloading? witht he image icon here, but figured out i can double click the pic, get the address, copy it, and paste here. but when i copy, the entire website n screen goes back to aol, closing, so gotta go back n forth.
SO!!! Its a 1998 toyota corolla. 1.8L dual cam. I do alot of unavoidable stop n go traffic here in southwest CT. Oil was thick soot black, as with every oil change. Brand new denso dealer air fitler purchased 4 months ago. I used PEAK synthetic 10w 30. and...a napa platinum! also purchased 3-4 months ago. Thier was a TOUCH wire mesh screen other side of filter element. the media itself, was very tough, near gritty sandpaper feel. Metal endcaps. I used a large screwdriver to pry the media off, and automotive plyiers to remove the endcaps. it was VERY well constructed in my opinion. I have been cutting open filters since 2005,l joinging this site, and its knowledgible to do so! the worst filter i ever had, was a NAPA white can proselect? some 4 years ago. After 3 motnhs, about 2,700-3,200 miles (same as this oil change now for post) the media at bottom appeared to be collapsing down :x So wont be buying another one of those. I like top tier fitlers, like P1, bosh premium, mobil 1, ect...for the microninc filtering.
This oil change, i went with super tech 10w30 dino, and a bosch distnace plus, which i will be tearing open and posting pics of it for you all:) so bear with me! and enjoy all!!
Nice job cutting the filter. You do not need much of a primium filter on a corolla.
Super tech used to make a perfectly usable one made by champ labs for your application.
As others have said ,a 3000 mile change is wasting money on a premium filter.
Advance auto has the MANN (purolater) for $3.50 if you order it online for store pickup with the 20% off.
The corolla's are very easy on oil. I have owned 5 of them. If your oil was carboned up really bad, there is something else going on. Possibly a bad pcv valve.
Two other things stand out. The corolla is a single overhead camshaft.
You are using the wrong oil. Unless you are burning a LOT of oil , the corolla takes a 5 weight oil. This motor does well on any oil but your mileage will suffer a bit. Like 2 mpg. I have run about every oil on the market in my corolla's . Whatever I can get my hands on. The 1.8 in 1998 will run on ANYTHING . My 93 has 323000 on it. My 95 had 225000 when I sold it. My 2002 has 116000 . Toyota makes a wonderful filter for @ $5 if you ask for a discount at the parts counter at the dealer. Call first and ask.
As for oil ,they do like a robust oil. Supertech dino , pyb, casteroil dino,mobil clean 5000, even meijers (citco) work for cheaper oils. Valvoline tends to burn off a bit. So do synthetics. You are on the right track , just stop spending so much money unless you plan on 5000-10000 mile oil changes.

Ziggy....

That filter looks great to me. Not sure what you don't like about it.

Why run 10w30 though in cold CT winters? I'd run PYB or VWB 5w30. M1 0w30 or PP 5w30 would be better.

Why spend big $$ on filters, then run 10w30 ST? Kinda weird....unless you are trying to create metal shavings at start-up, and you wanna collect them in your filter....LOL! Just teasing.

well, I decided years and years ago, that i wanted too use 10w 30. why? because viscosity index improvers kinda truend me off. 10w 30 is somewhat more sheer stable* where 5w 30 is known to sheer at short intervals. Im all about protection with my car. cause its all i got*
this is what i do...i will use 10w30 dino in autumn, december, go too a fake synthetic (lower pour pint on synthetic, even fake, still gets oil where it needs to be compared too a 5w 30, done this test myself many times over past 15 years, simply turning the key after changing oil) , spring, maybe go with a blend, or dino, and hot humid intense uncomfortable summers, go with synthetic most likely fake* but alwayys use a good filter....but i guess like the napa platinum its kinda overkill* hence the bosch premium or P1. I like trying differnt oils ALL the time;) IN fact..for spring at least i have 10w 30 pennzoil lined up and a driveworks filter. because i never tried a driveworks despite its made in china which has me somewhat worried wether i should runi t or not.
Case in point* bought a new belt 2 months ago. from walmart aka wallyworld. i like military belts only, just finiky like that. american made ones, where the buckle is were made terrific! Since the liberty army n navy store closed here, thy had a similar one at wallmart. the buckle kept sliding off the belt, and the metal falp tip on right hand side..came off. made in china...

I do know the car calls for 5w 30..i preffer 10w30. mileage does suffer as ive seen, not as bad. I dont like trust for protection, and oil that might sheer and not protect as well, at 1,500 mile intervals. PLus im kinda on the natural side of things in life..old school. 10w 30 just feels a better fit and for protection:)
Im thinking for winter, december time, next oil change, what synthetic to run and filter. prob P1, as it is known to collect below the 10 micron range. and its not a $12 filter lol.. quaker states synthetic was really good when i ran it few years ago! car started so smooth, ran noisless. I did note this oil change, under the the filler cap, thier was some black crud caked on. Running the peak synthetic cleaned a good amount of it out..
I did replace the PCV valve and grommet, 4 months ago, and only some 3-3,500 miles, DEALER pcv valve* Even when i had my neon, every 3 months the oil was thick n black. so to me its driving habbits, city congested traffic* and thats with synthetic. Air filter is a dealer denso i got 4 months ago too. I am wondering if thiers better dirt capturing filters out thier..like the oil could be like that, because particles are getting by the current in use filter elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back