NAPA Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used NAPA's oil analysis service which sends the samples to the Atlanta Lab?

I'll be doing my first ever oil analysis, and my local NAPA dealer sells these kits. He's a great parts guy, and says he's had very good luck with these kits.

Also, if I don't have the actual sample bottles yet, would it be OK to collect a sample in a medical-grade container the same size as the ones that come with kits? It should be sterile and free of any contamination.

I've never used NAPA.
From what I've read on here, using a medically sterile container for your oil sample would be perfectly safe and sane.

Dont' forget that, for instance, the package from Blackstone has two bottles, one inside the other. So when you send any bottle make sure you have another to fit it in. Also, might be a good idea to put some used oil in one of the medical bottles and see if anything happens ie. bottle disintegrates! Plus, make sure you have a good gasket in the cap that will hold up. Or just call Mr Dyson and get the kit from him!

Thanks guys. The NAPA kits are $13.50 at my local store. For this price, I don't think they test for TBN. I'll do one for the heck of it just to see how it turns out.

I need to change a filter and oil for my new 2005 4-cylinder Camry. Dealers do not recommend to switch for a synthetic motor oil.

Does anybody has an experience with synthetic oil for this type of car?
Is it worth to switch? What synthetic oil would you recommend? Finally, what maximal mileage is allowed for synthetic oil?

Thanks in advance

First a this point dealers know almost nothing about oil. Mobil 1 is your best bet and meets all the manufacture requirements if you use regular mobil 1 not the extended performance. The change interval should be what the manufacture recomends while still under warranty. After warrant 6000 is best but you can go 7500+ with oil analysis to see how its doing along the way. Hope this helps.

Be careful, sometimes you get what you pay for, and this $13.50 analysis might come back with results which are not what you expect, but instead of telling you exact ppm it might just say the wear metal is either ok or abnormal.

quote:

Originally posted by Uhty Kwasnoj:
I need to change a filter and oil for my new 2005 4-cylinder Camry. Dealers do not recommend to switch for a synthetic motor oil.

Does anybody has an experience with synthetic oil for this type of car?
Is it worth to switch? What synthetic oil would you recommend? Finally, what maximal mileage is allowed for synthetic oil?

Thanks in advance

Just a friendly bit of advice...you might want to start a new message thread in the proper discussion forum instead of hijacking someone elses totally unrelated message thread.
cheers.gif

I think site sponsor Butler Catapillar Labs analysis $12. If so, that would be a sure bet since we know that lab does an excellent job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back